Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008

goliath grouper, grouper, snook, even manatees all dead from red tide on Boca Grande

2. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Not good, not good at all! I take it one of the factors in this is the massive water dump from Lake Okeechobee into the Caloosahatchee estuaries. Just awful!

3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    water laden with tons of nitrogen and phosphorous that came from runoff from big sugar and cattle all using Lake O as their toilet bowl with no nutrient removal required from their runoff while big sugar gets subsidies from taxpayers while driving up the price of sugar for everything we consume. We subsidize the producer and limit the import so everything that contains sugar in the US is higher in price. We tax ourselves to pollute our environment so that Fanjul Brothers and US Sugar can get richer. Sorry tog et political but it pisses me off that I can't have a decent fishing trip or go to the beach and have a nice day and it happens every year and is only getting worse. Lake O is being mismanaged by ACOE and SFWMD is not doing anything to stop big ag from polluting our waterways.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    The sugar & corn subsidies are beyond outrageous. What is being allowed to happen with the water in Florida is criminal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Ive gotten out twice this week. . . got 3 nice tuna and several 18-24" muttons.

Here is one of the tuna. . . tuna1.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  6. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Thanks for the invite! Also, please double bag my share.

7. mauijab

mauijab Sophomore

Jan 14, 2010
    Maui Hawaii
    Aloha to all the fishing fools . It's been awhile since I got out fishing . It was a good day to start again. We did the Blue Marlin World Cup tournament and got lucky catching the only qualifying

marlin . 760.5 pounds worldcup18 copy.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  8. mauijab

mauijab Sophomore

Jan 14, 2010
    Maui Hawaii
    One of the charter owners came down to congratulate us . I knew he was a seminole and after we met ,I showed him my gator belt . He was bummed a Gator won.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Nice fish. Out of Maui or Big Island?

10. mauijab

mauijab Sophomore

Jan 14, 2010
    Maui Hawaii
    Big island .

We can fish Maui for the tournament but we catch very few fish over 500 pounds here . We get mostly mahi mahi and ono here .

I had to fly back to Maui for work and they are coming back tomorrow . Thats the first break in the winds to cross the alenuihaha channel .

11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    That is what I thought. Did the meat end up at a local luau somewhere? On my list to get back to the big island and chase blues. Last time I fished there I was fortunate enough to get a charter with Marlin Parker on the Marlin Magic. We hooked 6 and leadered 4 and threw in a yellowfin for color. The largest wa sin the 350 range and he was gut hooked so we took him and the mate took the meat and said they would throw a party and feed lots of people at once. I have never had marlin but he said they ate it. All within 5 miles +/- of shore on dead flat water. That is a unique fishery there.

12. mauijab

mauijab Sophomore

Jan 14, 2010
    Maui Hawaii
    It certainly is a unique fishery . Other than the vog , It can't get any better for marlins and ahi . I have not had the pleasure to meet Marlin Parker , but i have seen him in the water . He is the legend .We gave the fish away to a guy who will smoke it and sell it . He does not give anything back to the boat either . On Maui , we have a friend that will smoke it and give us a few pounds in return . If he doesn't want to smoke it , we sell it to the Tongans for $100 . They cook it at the church and feed the whole congregation .

marlin meat is only good if the cook knows how to cook it . It comes out great smoked also . striped marlin is the best eating marlin .

We did get 4 ahi around 100 pounds each and a small mahi mahi and an ono or wahoo this week .

• Like Like x 1
  13. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

Had a question, has anyone here fished Hawaii? We are doing a charter out of Maui in January for Blue, Striped Marlin and Short bill sailfish. The captain emailed me that Mahi and Tuna fishing is a little slow that time of year January and Feb are billfish months. I asked about seas that time of year and he said "Well that time of year tradewinds can be 20-30kts and the swell can be 6-8 on a calmer day". GF gets very sea sick and little concerned. Me I am good up to 4-6 hours with seas being under 8 feet after that like my last trip out to the Marathon hump, where it was 8-10 and even with Bonine I was a puking miserable mess as was most of the boat.

14. mauijab

mauijab Sophomore

Jan 14, 2010
    Maui Hawaii
    Aloha ,
    On Maui , we do get mostly mahi mahi and ono ( wahoo ) year round . I don't know the months as well as I should and i will find out for you . We do have the trade winds for sure 300 days a year . On our boat , we fish just behind Lanai and kohoolawe and have decent protection from the wind a lot of days . It can pick up in a moments notice . The ride back to Maui is all up hill and almost always rough . early morning is the calmest seas . Around 10 am is when the trade winds pick up . The best spots for ahi that I have fished are very rough . You might get lucky and have a perfect day in january .

Which captain are you talking to ?

15. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

The boat is the Hinatea out of Lahaina. I did see that dolphin(what us old timers call Mahi Mahi) are pretty steady whole year and would love to get into some of those with some spinning tackle, reeling one up on 50lb Penn Internationals is not much sport IMHO. Back in the 70's, Dad and I used to head down to Florida Keys, find a chunk of seaweed or a wood pallet and get 20 schoolies and maybe a huge bull or 2 in 3 hours. That fishery seemed to die in the 80's and 90's as everyone was doing that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007

Video of snook under the dock at our condo in Marco Island Monday night. My son shot the video while Mrs51 tried in vain to get those snook to bite.

• Like Like x 2
  17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    If you want to marlin fish pay for the flight and hop over to the Big Island. Calm seas and much, much better marlin fishing is my experience. You could probably doi it in a day trip but it would be a long day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    good luck getting the ones in the light to bite. try a hand picked (large) shrimp on flouracarbon leader with a small split shot 2 - 3 feet up the leader and on the outside edges of the light.

19. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    I've fished that dock for a week every summer for almost 20 years. It is for sure tough to get the snook to bite under the lights but I have learned some tricks. If fishing lures switch baits every couple of casts and don't be afraid to try the dumbest looking bait in your tackle box, they learn fast and if you can present a lure they have never seen before it sometimes fools them. You are correct about flourocarbon leader, for small to average sized snook I use 20 lb Vanish. Live bait is the key, especially if you can match what they are feeding on at the time. When all else fails I take a trebble hook and try to snitch the bait that is under the lights, that way I match the size and species of bait they are feeding on. You are also correct on fishing the edge of the lighted water. Also wait till everybody else goes to bed and all fishing and boating pressure dies down. You will almost never catch pressured fish under the lights but If you get up at 3AM it's a whole nother ball game. When at the condo I go to bed early and let the fools fight over the fish, when I wake up in the middle of the night I have the dock to myself and the fish respond.

20. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    Here is some more video of snook and snapper under the dock at Marco. Shot Saturday morning with my GoPro my first attempt at underwater video.