Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    EBay is good spot to check

2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Someone rated one of my old posts so it made it easy to find so I btt to see what's happening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hit the water at daylight, worked almost 2 hours to find bait. Water was brown and dirty form Lake O dumping out Caloosahatchee and Charlotte Harbor still draining Irma runoff. Finally found schools of good whitebait out on the beach and loaded the livewell by 10 am. Fished hard and got nothing but mangrove, small grouper (12") and a couple of the largest flounder I have seen in a while. Saw something flopping in the water and drifting with tide and when it started getting closer a group (3 or 4) cormorants started to surround it and almost try and crawl on it. Motored over and found a osprey with a broken wing near the end of his existence. Scooped him up in a net and covered his head to get him out of net and then let him have a corner of the boat. Called a few different folks and found someone to meet us and pick it up to take it to birdie rehab. Saw a dad trying to catch bait from shore at Blind Pass where we met CROW volunteer and gave him a livewell full of great snook candy. Too bad no snook were around... Felt good to help him out as he was not going to get any bait there and he had two boys waiting. Got back to the dock and was securing everything in the boat for the drive home and there were two hot German women (yea,,they were German but looked Swedish) getting ready to buy the $10 parking pass and gave them ours. Fishing was not good but I think I scored enough karma points today that we should kill them next time.

[​IMG]o by bluewaterfever, on Flickr

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Glad you had fun on the water today. Gonna try and get out now that I finally got the boat back from pre Irma repairs/maintenance. BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    always good to get out on the water but the extent of the fresh water change to the ecosystem is shocking. The water on the back side of Sanibel looked like the Suwanee River it was so brown. If you are serious about catching I wouldn't bother with the lower west coast unless you are heading offshore. It was hard to find life out there today. Flats all the way up to north captiva were dead other than sea trout. Even the cuts were lacking all of the usual characters. I can't imagine how bad of red tide we are going to have with all of these nutrients being flushed out right now.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. baygator1

baygator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Took the wade nets and crushed the mullet late Friday afternoon. My brother and I caught 49. Smoked a dozen yesterday before the game, canned 10pints and had a nice fish fry. Big, fat roe too! I'll try to get pics up tomorrow. I know...the oft maligned mullet isn't as exciting as some of the other eye candy in here but it sure is good. I love catching them in shallow water with the cast net. It's the perfect blend of hunting and fishing.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    ever try sea grape for a smoking wood? we caught a few this am before we found white bait just to insure that we had something. When the mullet run goes through here there are boats from all over that crush them. Big schools and they smell really bad when they school up like that. Amazing how you can smell them quite a ways away.

• Like Like x 1
  8. baygator1

Apr 3, 2007
    Never used sea grape. I generally use pecan and oak. These fish were in great shape...lots of fat inside the rib cage. I'll have to check into sea grape.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Hard to go wrong with either :)

10. lhnewman

lhnewman Premium Member

Dec 4, 2008
    pecans my favorite...

11. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I love this thread. . . happy it is revived!

Here is my contribution. . . some big reds I caught on a recent trip to La. and a freshwater tarpon i caught the other day in a canal near my house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    some nice breeding size reds there. I bet those put up quite a fight. What tackle were you using? We used to catch lots of those in St. Augustine at the Anastasia jetties using half blue crabs for bait but we fished heavy tackle or we couldn't get them up on the rocks. Those little tarpon can be a lot of fun on the right tackle. A lot of the lakes on Sanibel have them and the best thing we found for them were purple mirror lures. Not sure why but they seem to work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Went fishing yesterday afternoon....
    1-2 on sails, a bunch of mahi (mostly small), a few football tunas and some ladyfish.

• Like Like x 1
  14. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    and so it begins. big ag flushing Lake O down the rivers and red tide is starting early this year

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/36873446/high-concentration-of-red-tide-in-lee-county

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission reports background to high concentrations of red tide in 11 samples collected in Lee County.

The high concentration is alongshore at Captiva Pass and South Seas Plantation Entrance. Medium level is along Mondongo Island's shore, west of Pine Island Sound, and Redfish Pass.

Other samples that tested positive for low levels include Cayo Pelau, two miles south of Charlotte Harbor, and Captiva Rocks, southwest of Pine Island Sound.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    btt. got nothing to report, just fishing for reports from others since I can't seem to get on the water

17. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I think this is the oldest thread on GC

18. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Nothing to report here. Been huntin deer. When my buddies have gone trolling for groupers off Hernandez Beach they have done very well.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. baygator1

Apr 3, 2007
    Same here...been in the woods. Did run the boat on the hose in the driveway last weekend, though! Had a couple fish kills up here due to the cold over the past few weeks. I've seen it happen a couple times before...sad to see, but part of the natural process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    We will be in Los Suenos in mid March. Hope to get my son his first sail and hopefully one for Mom and Dad too.

We fished out of Playa Conchal two years ago and raised one sail in an 8 hour day and the mate missed the feed. Hope to have better luck this year. Will be salmon and halibut fishing in Alaska in mid June.

Sad to say that even living in SW Florida my son has never caught a mahi so hope to get to the keys for a mahi trip in July/August if finances allow. Kid has caught 15 plus king salmon and never caught a mahi. Something wrong with that picture.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 1