Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. baygator1

baygator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Have rod, will travel. And I don't have to go far to get to Destin. :grin:

• Like Like x 2
  2. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    The only thing unusual is this guy I believe only captains other people's boats, not his own. Search for "Delynn" on www.pensacolafishingforum.com in the offshore reports section. The guy is absolutely unbelievable.

3. PMCGoldenEraG8R

PMCGoldenEraG8R Guest VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks rburnett! I did look at the site, and some of Delynn's posts. He really does have a lot of success!

We won't have a boat, so that won't work for us. Also, I'm sure we have waited to long to try to book a trip with someone. Maybe it will work out.

I hope you all have some great catches again! :)

4. PMCGoldenEraG8R

Apr 3, 2007
    So baygator, want to join us if we book a trip? :) I've seen proof here that you can pull in some nice ones!! :)

5. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
  6. PMCGoldenEraG8R

Apr 3, 2007
    I found that site, rburnett! Thanks! I've written down his numbers and I'll see if my sons still want to try to book a trip.

I appreciate your help!

7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    few from Seward Alaska last week. 138 lbs, 128 lbs halibut, several others in the 50 - 60 lb class, 42 lb ling cod. I didn't get either of the big fish this day, got the ling cod though. Took family salmon fishing and we limited out with 30 nice silvers. 93 lbs of fresh ocean run salmon, 45 lbs of halibut fillets, and 22 lbs of ling cod in the freezer. Had one king hit while trolling and mate had reels set all the way up (should have ben set to strike position) and that big king just ripped that 40 lb leader to shreds when he hit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. beachpiratefla

beachpiratefla Resident Pirate VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fernandina Beach
    At the Fernandina Fishing Rodeo today 48.3 lb. Kingfish won the SKA division...a lot of nice kings and cobia caught...I had every intention of fishing it but the rules stated that every boat in that division had to have a 25 watt radio...all I have is a 6 watt ICOM handheld as I have a 17 ft. Key West Deep V center console...stupid rule

• Like Like x 1
  9. baygator1

baygator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    PM me if you get a trip up and need another person! Went today looking for gags and all we caught were magnum snapper and one short red grouper. I'll post a couple pics tomorrow.

10. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    Finally got to kill some gags. Went on a family vacation down to Anna Maria Island with the inlaws. Gave a shout to my old frat house roommate and we got a trip lined up. I got to see first hand how good the grouper fishing is off Tampa Bay. We caught 3 pretty nice ones and lost some absolute freight trains. We were like 3 for 10 on biggun's and probably caught another 15-20 short gags and reds. All in like 45-50 ft of water

my buddy with a nice keeper caught on live pinfish
    [​IMG]

Here's me, the ole gag slayer with a respectable fish caught on butterflied spanish sardine
    [​IMG]

Gator7_5 - look how flat... it was like that every single day, we could run to the edge on the cape with wind like that! nomsayin?

• Like Like x 1
  11. beachpiratefla

Apr 3, 2007
    Fernandina Beach
    Nice Grouper...I am on the water tomorrow...targeting whiting, pompano, reds, trout and puppy drum...and maybe a sheephead or two...

12. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    No boat, no problem. I'll just eat the bait!

[​IMG]

From the cast net into the fryer.

Mullet fillets and backbones with a big side of hushpuppies and cheese grits. Damn fine.

13. beachpiratefla

Apr 3, 2007
    Fernandina Beach
    Those would be great smoked...
    :yes:

14. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Nice gags RB, I thought you moved from Pcoal to Texas?

Went out last Saturday to Waccassaa and got on some reds and a couple nice trout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. beachpiratefla

Apr 3, 2007
    Fernandina Beach
    Nice Haul Rella...Onshore winds kept me in today...NWS can't seem to predict winds worth a darn.

16. PMCGoldenEraG8R

Apr 3, 2007
    rburnett, + baygator, we opted out and didn't try to book a trip. The weekend was going quickly and the family decided to just hang out and be together. I'd really like to book a trip with that guy one day. Thanks again for the info! Congrats on the nice catch of gags rburnett!

G8trGr8t, I hope you have an entire freezer room for that haul! I love seeing the kids fishing! The look like they were really enjoying it! Introducing them to a life long sport when they are young....great!

Rella! Beautiful red and trout! I hope to be out there in that area on Sat, and I hope we do half as well as you! I know you cooked up a great meal with those keepers too! :)

17. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    My fishing outings have been few and far between lately. . . so I am living vicariously through you guys.
    But alas, I got to fish today. Caught a few nice bonito that got carved into chunk bait. Then hit a wreck and put a clients son on a couple amberjack. After that we picked thru some bottom fish before I decided we needed to venture offshore. It was a good decision. We found a nice weedline 7 miles out and had our fill of dolphin. We could have caught 50, but left them chewing after landing the big one.

It was good to be back out there!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Aug 26, 2007
    The weather has been junk all summer. Glad you caught that window.

Was down in Key West a couple of weeks ago and the weather was terrible. We got one window so we ran out to Cay Sal for some deep drops. Crushed the yellow eyes from 600 - 1200 ft. Spent the night out there on a 35 Yellowfin. Grilled them then and there, drank a ton of rum and passed out on beanbags. The only day offshore over the course of 12 days there.

Inshore, boated 5 tarpon ranging from 100- 150lbs and jumped 4 more the day prior to the Cay Sal run.

19. PMCGoldenEraG8R

Apr 3, 2007
    Hoops, I am so jealous of all the great fish you catch! Beautiful! :)

toon66, even though you were not able to go out as often as you would have liked, sounds like the time you did have on the water was very successful! :)

20. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Most definitely. The Cay Sal run was really fun and a unique experience. So very glad I had that opportunity.