Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Treasure Coast
    Nap time!

• Like Like x 2
  2. PMCGoldenEraG8R

PMCGoldenEraG8R Guest VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

You were correct Rella, as that trip was cancelled due to the winds.

rburnett, congrats on that big tourney win! That Hobie is beautiful! Now that you have two of them, I guess you will have to invite some friends to go with you!

Still loving all the posts here....seeing the pictures and reading the "fishing tales." So many accomplished fishermen here! :) Hoops, you never disappoint!!

That Port St. Joe trip....WOW! Those snappers.....incredible! I'd love to have some more info about that place where you stayed. We are always looking for places to go where we can fish. We don't get to go often enough, but it's nice to have options.

Husband is off this week, so we have been fishing. Taking today off. We've been fishing in the area out of Yankeetown. Hubby and friend caught some nice reds yesterday. The reds have had lock-jaw for a little while, so that was nice to get a keeper or two in the boat. Trout have been good to us, and our friend with us caught a 25" tripletail, which you know is a big deal for us! Rella catches monster "trips" all the time! :) I'll try to post a pic soon.

I hope all the fishermen/women here have a great holiday weekend, and that ya'll can go fishing! Stay safe on the water and have fun! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Haha.... my friend sent me this pic from a short trip on Sunday. In the pic I am hooked to a 70-80lb sailfish. I wanted to get that thing in fast. . . a storm was bearing down and the rods started buzzing. Anyone who has fished in a storm, knows that sound. It is eerie. I wanted to get the hell out of there.... and my friends found my concern amusing. So they took a picture of my anxious expression!

[​IMG]

4. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Brent I know that sound all to well, if you have heard it once thats once to many. We bounce immediately.

Pam, congrats on the triple! 25 inches is a good one. We are going after them tomorrow, ill let you know how we do. They are certainly in, my buddy caught four last Sunday.

5. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Went out yesterday afternoon for a few hours... again hoping for big blackfin. We got everything other than our target.... sailfish, mahi, jacks and bonito.
    I took my nieghbor's son. . . so we let him handle the sail. It was a good sized one... about 70lbs. But he got it to the boat. We thought about bringing it in for a pic, but the long fight had this guy in need of a revival and release.

6. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    The Gulf was like a lake yesterday... Gator7_5 and I headed out to scout some red snapper holes for next weekend and target some species we're actually allowed to keep!

The plan was to drop some chicken rigs down for triggers and chunk for mangrove snapper. The trigger were hard to find over the 14" mark, but we managed to put 2 studs on ice. I cannot even estimate how many red snapper we caught.. easily 20-30. But, we also brought up some really nice mangroves with them. We boated 2 monsters and 2 more quality fish. All were caught with pretty light tackle.. 20-lb braid free lined behind the boat with other chunks of menhaden. We also hooked into some freight trains (AJ's and sharks).. but didn't land any on the light tackle. That meat can't compare to Trig and Mango anyway!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next few weeks are going to be bonkers... going out with Gator7_5 on RS opening day, then have a work trip charter on the 2nd, then friends coming down from ATL june 7-8 and have another trip.

Tight lines and happy Memorial Day

7. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Took my mom out for a quick memorial day morning trip.
    We caught a bunch of fish . . . 4 snapper (2 mutton/1mango/1yt), a few kings and bonita, an african pompano, 2 gag grouper and several runners/jacks.
    Here are a few of the ones that came home for dinner/smoker. . . .

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. PMCGoldenEraG8R

Apr 3, 2007
    RB and Hoops, congrats on good days fishing, and it sure is fun to see all that you bring to the boat and to the dinner table! Keep the pics and the fishing tales coming!

Rella, we tried to catch some more trips, but they did not cooperate. We saw 2 nice ones, but they were not hungry, and we threw everything in the boat at them. I hope you had better luck then we did!

We won't be able to go out fishing for the next two weekends, but after that I'm looking forward to more fun in the Gulf.

Here is our buddy with the nice tripletail....

[​IMG][/IMG]

9. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    That's a bigun Pam! We tried for tt's last Saturday but the only one we caught was like 12in long. Would have been sweet in an aquarium :)

After trying for trips, we headed out in search of cobia. We had a little more luck in that department! I caught a 45lber which is my personal best. Im finishing up the meat tonight, and hope to reload on saturday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    SWEET!!!! Red Snapper opens in 9 hours... :-D

• Like Like x 1
  11. PMCGoldenEraG8R

Apr 3, 2007
    RBurnett.....I know you are so excited about RS season opening! Have a great time and I know you will get your limit!!

Rella....I am almost speechless. Almost is the key word....oh my gosh....that is a beautiful cobia and I bet you had a blast bringing that thing to the boat! Congrats! I'm sure you have had some super fine meals with this one too! Did you make the cobia picatta? Yummm......

I don't think I will ever get one that big! We think we have been seeing them in the flats, in fact we are almost positive we've seen a few recently, but we haven't really targeted cobia yet. We hope to do that soon, but I'm sure we won't land any like the ones you do. You are our hero! :) Hope you get a good "reload" this weekend!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    nice fish

13. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Treasure Coast
    Fly fished big pine key area over memorial day. Believe it or not. The weather was fantastic 5-10 knot winds. Tarpon were everywhere. No hits, until I got back to the dock where I saw a school rolling in the canal behind my parents house. Took my 8lb bonefish rod with dead pinfish and I casted it out there into the school. My six year old grabbed the pole and within thirty seconds the line took off. 10 acrobatic jumps later I broke the 10lb fluorocarbon trying to set up a pic with his first tarpon. Dope!!!
    Also, I saw a key deer swim across one of the channels in the backcountry while I was tarpon fishing. I didn't realize the key deer swam? Finally, I read in another post please stay out of the backcountry, if you don't know what you're doing. The seatow driver lives in our neighborhood and during the holiday weekend he was pulling boats back constantly. Every story was the same bright and sunny on the way out, then cloudy in the afternoon to where they couldn't read the water depth. Then sandbar.

14. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Went out with a good crew yesterday which included rburnett. We put a whoopin on the snapper and added a couple of kings and a nice red grouper. Biggest snapper about 16 pounds, biggest king around 30 - which rburnett put the beat down on. Watching a king that size explode on a foot long live mullet is a pretty awesome sight.

[​IMG]

15. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    And here is the murder from saturday...

[​IMG]

16. vbmatt

vbmatt GC Legend

Feb 27, 2009
    Orlando, Fl
    Man, we couldn't get any American Reds yesterday. Did very well on the Red Grouper and had to catch and release a few big gags and AJ's.

How deep were snapper sitting? We tried anywhere from 75-150.

17. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    All over the water column. Sunday, fished from 100-130 feet and caught snapper on the bottom up to the surface on all types of baits. Had to pick around to find some really good holes.. with the full moon the bite seemed a little slow.

18. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    We brought a ton of different baits too... fresh butterflied menhaden, fresh cut and live mullet, frush cut and live cigar minnows and threadfins, and fresh cut bloody bonita.

We didn't do any chumming/chunking this weekend, but that's definitely my favorite way to catch snapper... anchor up current of your spot, cut up bait and toss them over the side - then freeline a piece of cut bait with light line and leader back with those chunks... hang on!

19. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Sick haul guys :whoa:

20. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No kidding. Nice work boys.

Anyone got a bead on fishing the Crystal River area? Headed there for most of July and wondered what to try and target inshore and offshore. We've got a group going with everything from pontoon to flats and offshore boats.