Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Just got back from a nice little 4 day vacation in the Panhandle at Port St. Joseph State Park. First of all what a beautiful area! Gin clear water with awesome beaches, and HUGE sand dunes. The park has to be one of the best in the state, and a cabin that sleeps 6 for $100 a night right on the water, may be the best deal ever.
    Back door:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We took the wives along so we had to adjust our schedule from fishing all day long, to something a little more accommodating for the ladies. So our game plan was to wake up, catch trout off the back yard, then cook breakfast before heading out on the water for a little half day fishing trip. Come back have lunch, offload gear, grab the wemens and post up on the beach for the afternoon.

Since none of us had fished the area we pretty much stuck to the published artificial reefs. And I must say you guys have a major American Red Snapper problem up there RB. I have never been snapper fishing but I have watched enough fishing shows to know if you chum they will come. We set up on the Mara Barge and I start throwing out chunk up mullet, and about 30 seconds later I couldn’t believe my eyes…..There were endangered Snapper EVERYEWERE and they were HUGE! We pulled out our medium spinners and caught trashcan lid sized snapper till out arms were sore. Although we didn’t have a scale on board most of the fish we caught were in the 17-25lb range. Somehow in the malay we got water on the camera, which is a total bummer, because I really wanted to get a couple blown up….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stud!

[​IMG]

We also slipped offshore (about two miles from the snapper spot) and trolled up four nice dolphin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a great time at the beach as well, caught four Pomps which got baked whole for dinner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We plan on doing it a couple months later next year when we don’t have to throw away all of those beautiful Red Snappers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That is awesome. How far away was the ramp/dock from the cabin?

3. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Its probably a little over a mile, but its a nice ride and a nice deep water ramp.

To think that novices could go up there and do what we did…….they really need to take a look their “stock assessment” methods.

4. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Haven't been to the panhandle in years. How far offshore for the wreck and the dolphin?

Great pics, btw.

5. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    We were less than ten miles out the entire trip, could still see land.

6. g8tr96

g8tr96 VIP Member

Good stuff Rella. Got my little vessel in for some electrical work. Hope to get her back today or tomorrow, and then, weather permitting, hit some back creeks Sunday.....maybe late Sat afternoon if possible. All depends on the weather for now.

As an aside...

If you, or anybody else hasn't seen this vid yet, check it out. The guys in this vid make stupid ignorant people look very smart.

I can't link here it as it has F-bombs in it. But here is the search link on Youtube. The vid is titled "Best Shark Attack Ever"

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...3...177.268.0.1513.2.2.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0.

Gator attacks kayak
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj8fED5Otmo

7. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Damn, dolphin that close in, sweet!

8. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    That's how we do it up here in Pcola... how much fun is it to "sight fish" for red snapper. I could watch fish eat all day and never get bored. Did you see any big mangroves mixed in with those reds?

Looks like you ripped your britches rasslin' with those big ole reds! LOL

Well, to be fair, you had some good advice from 2 incredible panhandle snapper fishermen from this board :joecool:

But I do agree with your comment about stock assessments. Commercial fishing is lobbying hard to keep us little guys out of their pockets. The latest assessment was that the proportion of mature fish to younger fish is still out of whack... IMO, that is because we only keep the big ones (2 per only open june and half of july) and throw 50-100 small ones back each trip. It's depressing to fish for them out of season because you will slay the big ones and watch them get crushed by flipper and jaws.

9. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Aug 26, 2007
    My spearfishing buddies tell me they sometimes have to push gags out of the way to get a good shot on a hogfish. I haven't bottom fished off of Pinellas in some time but I understand we are stacked with gags, too.

10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    congrats on the tourney win. those are some real pig red snapper. I may have to check out that park nest spring/summer. How far in advance did you have to book the cabin?

what is the opportunity to rent a boat up there. probably close to a wash from dragging mine from Ft. Myers. wifey worries when we drag it very far and it kills the mileage on the yukon

gags not real think off Sanibel, at least not out to 80' or so. haven't stuck any in a while but fishing hasn't been that great for gags.

11. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    We are heading that way this summer for scalloping. There are tons of boats to rent.

12. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Thanks again for the advice!

We did see a few nice mangos, budget there were too man reds to get to them :no:

13. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    ^^ Caught a monster cuda yesterday. I was thinking of this video as I reached down to tail it!!! :)

Also got a 2 sails, 2 blackfin tuna, an almaco and too many bonitos and runners.

• Like Like x 2
  14. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    You ever smoke those sails? My cousin in Miami kills one a year and tells me it's the best smoked fish around. Not sure I could stick a hook in a billfish, but I am curious if it's that good.

• Like Like x 1
  15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    No. . . I have never smoked one. I'm like you . . . could never get myself to stick a gaff in a billfish. I suppose if one dies during the fight, I would bring it home. . . but I am really careful so to avoid that. I keep em in the water and revive. Yesterday we actually moved away from the sails and pulled 2 baits away from 2 other sails that wanted to eat. We were aiming for the big blackfin, so we didnt want to lose bait and time on sailfish. In retrospect, I've become a bit spoiled. They really are beautiful fish and a blast to catch. I should enjoy it a bit more.

16. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Passing up Sails these days Hoops? you are spoiled!

We went out this passed Saturday. The wind was supposed to be 10 mph, but was closer to 20mph. Long story short it was a nasty, uncomfortable, and unsuccessful day.

We did have one surprise catch, got this guy on a wreck in 25ft of water. Farthest north we have caught one.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    damn, nice snook! I suppose the bigger ones out deep are better able to handle the cold? That fish has to be 5 years old or so, right?

10 days till snapper slaughter!!!!

18. gatorbill

gatorbill VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Franklin NC
    Wow, great pictures.

19. beachpiratefla

beachpiratefla Resident Pirate VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fernandina Beach
    Nice Red...How did the launch look...really bright? Damn 4:00 in the morning...You got my respect...

• Like Like x 2