Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. PMCGoldenEraG8R

PMCGoldenEraG8R Guest VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hoops, you really do have some amazing fishing adventures! Hope your friend and his thumb are doing well!

Rella, anything that you would like to share?? Hmmmm??? Like a great picture that I saw the other day on another unnamed web site?? :)

[​IMG]

2. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    Sounds like another story for the magazine!

3. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Pine Island Reds!

Got into them thick last weekend. Caught well over 50 fish in the slot and one bruiser. Limit of trout, macks and a dozen or so snook (catch and release) to boot.

Cool thing about the reds is they were all in one school on one bar we had to ourselves on rising water. They were trying to push past us but we kept a bait in the water the entire time and after 45 minutes, me and a buddy of mine looked at each other and said 'enough'. We left em bitin.

Unreal fishing.

4. PMCGoldenEraG8R

Apr 3, 2007
    Really glad you had a great time of fishing, LittleBlue! I hope to fish that area one day.

I'm sure that was hard to leave them "bitin." Must have worn you out for sure!

5. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    FINALLY got my gps/sonar combo mounted on my Hobie.. I say "finally" because I bought this crap about a year ago. First attempt to fish in the Gulf I got flipped and never went back. I wanted to take it for a test run before I really go after some serious Gulf species. A friend sent me some GPs #'s for wrecks in Pensacola Bay and tried them out Easter morning.

First spot was a sunken boat in 40', just a few hundred yards off our national park, Fort Pickens.. Caught 1, broke off by 2...
    [​IMG]

I bumped it up to 50 lb test, was only using 20lb floro at the first spot... it definitely slowed down the bite. I then moved to try a few more holes...

Next spot is an old (100years plus) wreck in the bay, and popular diving spot. It's got some pretty awesome structure and was holding gags. I caught 2, and missed a few more before I ran out of bait.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All released to bite another day (in season).. Caught 1 nice spanish trolling a spoon on the way in, made a nice lunch..

6. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    He killed it! RB tried to get me to go..but I told him I'm a motor boatin son-of-a-bitch.

7. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Pam nice to see you back around theses parts! You have any pictures to share? :joecool:

Haven't been able to get out much (read enough) lately but the Big Bend fishing is really en fuego at the moment. The pelagics have moved in, and the inshore bite is great from what I have heard.

We finally got some great weather last Tuesday so we decided to head after the cobia that had apparently moved into the area. And the idea was to get my boss on his first Cobe (he lost one at the boat last year that was 60lb plus, total heartbreak). Well he got some redemption! We went 3 for 3 on cobia in the span of about 30 minutes. It was fast and furious! All three fish were between 22-25lbs, so nothing huge but great eating to be sure.

on the ride out
    [​IMG]

Boss finally getting one in the boat!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buddy got his first fish on his new custom gator rod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. PMCGoldenEraG8R

Apr 3, 2007
    Fantastic rella!!! Cobia!!! Great pictures!! Ugly fish, but so fun to catch and great to eat! I'm sure your boss was a happy guy, on the boat and at the dinner table! I'm sure I can say the same for all of you! Congrats!

Only recent pic I have is the one I posted under your "sheepies" catch. Caught a nice 32" red. LOVE catching them, and I'm hoping this means I'll have a better year of fishing! I'm off to a better start, for sure.

rburnett, wow! Glad you had a great day also! I don't know how you do that from a Hobie! I'd be flippin' that thing and spend more time in the water then fishing! Like 7_5, I like a boat! :)

Love seeing all the pictures here and reading about all the fishing adventures! :)

9. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    RB I have never heard of someone mounting a GPS/Sonar on a yak before, that is sick my man. Nice work. Those "endangered" ARS better watch out in a couple of months.

Also wanted to share a couple of food pics, since I had a world of cobia to eat last week. In really enjoy cooking and I'm always looking for new ways to cook our catch.

Sushi!

[​IMG]

Picatta

[​IMG]

Cobia Tacos

[​IMG]

Marinated in soy/ginger then grilled

[​IMG]

10. PMCGoldenEraG8R

Apr 3, 2007
    Woah!! ALL those dishes look fantastic, rella! I know they were so delicious!! I've never thought about doing a picatta with fish, and I LOVE picatta! I'll have to try that for sure!

My husband is going fishing this weekend with a group of guys.(He's going to Steinhatchee.) I'm going to a wedding. I hope he brings home some fish for our meals. You've inspired me! :)

Yummmm!!! :)

11. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    Damn, that cobia looks good!

Yeah, well our yakkable water is not limited to inshore.. we have wrecks in 40-60 ft of water in the bay, and also near shore wrecks and artificial reefs within a few miles of the beach. I am definitely going to load the freezer this summer.

The beauty of my setup on the hobie is that I can use the foot pedals and make slight rudder adjustments to hold me perfectly on the bottom spot while still having hands free to fish. I just put the machine on splitscreen GPS and bottom. I don't need to anchor, and some of these spots are too small to effectively drift. It's pretty amazing, comparable to those GPS iPilot trolling motors for holding the boat over a spot.

I don't even bring the machine with me if I'm just doing inshore, I don't need it to tell me it's 2 feet deep, kind of pointless. I can rig it up a lot of different ways. I have a drift chute, cajun anchor, lights for fishing docklight @ night, big ass soft wheels for launching on the beach.. The Outback is a fishing machine.

12. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    RB you have GOT to post some pics of the the Outback that sounds like a sweet rig, and given the price of gas very cost effective. Also its crazy to think you are in 60ft in a couple of miles in the bay, when I have to got 25 miles to get to that depth where I fish. That's a lot of paddling boy!

PMC I wish your husband good luck, he is going to need it looking at the wind forecast supposed to be NASTY.

13. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Finally got out yesterday, but ou trip was cut very short b/c of one of the guys got seasick. It sucked going in b/c we were on fish but did have 10 phins and a tuna at that point. All of them were under two frigate birds. . .
    Nothing huge, but fun on the lighter spinning outfits. . .

[​IMG]

14. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    good eating and nice boat!!!!

I have a big yak tournament this weekend.. haven't been able to pre-fish because work is owning me and its been windy as hell in the evenings.

15. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    EPIC tournament day

Saturday was our big spring tournament for yakkers. I fished this tournament last year and won first in speckled trout and 3rd in redfish. I fished for 5+ straight hours trying to find a trout to win the slam, but couldn't pull it off. I've had nightmares about it for a year, been ridiculed by friends and family about it (in fact, my weight was so good from those 2 fish, I had the slam guy beat with his 3)... But today was a new day, and I was dialed in.

Caught the redfish just after sun up pitching a live shrimp under a hot dock in my little bay that I live on. 26 and 1/4 FAT red.. weighed in at 7 Lbs on the dot (took first in Redfish). Then I immediately moved to the flats to go for my gator. Trolled around a big live croaker for a while and threw various lures off the front (top dog, mirrodine, paul brown) and caught a ton of non-tourney trout.. then all of a sudden the big rod goes screaming... 21 inch fat trout in the box. (weighed 3.1)

I'm thinking, "oh god, here we go again". I call up my buddy gator7_5 - where is the best place to catch a flounder, what should I use, etc. Took his advice on a jighead/jerkshad, tipped with croaker fillet and drag it around slowly. Also got a tip from another buddy on where he caught a flounder that morning and the 2 pieces of info sealed the deal for me. I went Mike Iconelli when I got that thing in my net. 18in and weighed in at 2.5lbs, 2nd overall in flounder.

I was done by 11 and the weigh in wasn't final until 5:00. I fished a little more trying to get a bigger trout, but the prime time had passed and my spots were heavily pressured with over 170 yakkers out that day! I floated around and drank beer and stressed out... but the results were locked in at 5:00. 1st place slam winner, new all time tournament record 12.6 lbs.

I won a brand new 2012 Hobie Outback.. It's actually the same rig I use, lol.. but I can't sell it.. it's an awesome trophy. Plus wife and friends can use it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Incredible weekend... Go Gators

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Great job on taking down the tourney my brother, it was an epic day indeed. And Im not surprised you got Mike Iconelli excited, lol :laugh:

We are heading to Port St. Joe tomorrow, anyone have any up to date reports for that area? Ive heard the Mahi are at a weed line 6-10 miles out.

17. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    That huge tourney and an impressive trio of fish. Even from a boat. Hell, I went half Iaconelli when I got the text about the flounder. :crazy:

18. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    During the yak yournament saturday, in the offshore division a nice sailfish and mulitple mahi were caught from yaks off the beach... the sail was caught within a mile of the pier.

19. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    AWESOME, Rburnett!!!!!!!!! MAJOR CONGRATS!!!!

I took some buddies out this weekend. I thought the super moon and a few days of east wind would make things lively. But the water was pea-green out to 400'. Ugh.
    We managed 2 schoolie mahi, 4 blackfin tuna to 11lbs, 1 10lb skippy a nice King and a swing and miss on a nice sail.

20. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Congrats rburnett! That really encourages me to get out there!