Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. sneakygator

sneakygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Trinity, FL
    Hahaha! Been there done that! Those suckers are hard to land!:laugh:

2. gator_nica

gator_nica Premium Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Big fan of this thread!

3. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Hitting the morning session down in Boca Grande this Saturday. My guy tells me the reds are thick as hell rt about now.

4. gators4life

gators4life Premium Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Gainesville,FL
    Went down to Sebastian Inlet last week and limited on shrimp. Large to Jumbos. Pretty good time except for going to bed when the sun was rising back to back days.

5. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I just got the first report yesterday of a Cobe caught in my part of the BigBend FWIW.

To say that I am excited would be a great understatement........ We are heading out this Saturday for some verification :yes:

6. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    I've seen one caught from a pier near Panama City and just yesterday the first caught from a boat in Destin.

We're going offshore for some bottom fishing, but will keep our eyes on the water for sure.

7. mexicanconnection2002

mexicanconnection2002 Freshman

Mar 5, 2008
    Getting married in a few months...so my fishing oppurtunities have been extremely limited lately. Hope to get out there soon, been getting good reports of big trout in the area.

8. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    Went out Saturday and caught so many red snapper that my left arm cramped and is sore today. Game plan was to chum them up to the surface and try to pitch bait to the ones we can actually keep (blacks aka mangroves). There were so many reds and they were eating on the surface @~100 feet deep. It was out of control.

Here's a nice 30" we caught several around this size.. Weighed one at over 15.5 lbs
    [​IMG]

Here's another 30" red and the lone keeper black.
    [​IMG]

We also caught all kinds of other species.. short AJ's (27"-28"), 1 scamp, remoras, triggers, sharks. It was a fun day on the water.

9. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Killed em. Coolers gonna be heavy on June 1.

10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Take me! Take me!

God. . . I have not fished in over a month. Very depressing!

11. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    We had a great day this passed Saturday. We absolutely loaded the boat with Sheepies, but no Cobia to be had. We threw back a bunch of keepers and still ended up with 30, which is about twice as many as I wanted to clean.

The spot we went to was an artificial reef in about 35ft made of cement culverts. The water was crystal clear, and about 70 degrees. So we threw on a masks and went down and popped a couple 9lb slabs, along with a few in the 6-7lb range. It was the highlight of the day to be sure.

Still waiting on pics from my buddy.

12. Jupgator

Jupgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jupiter, FL
    Hey guys. Haven't posted to this thread for awhile. Live in Jupiter, FL and fish around here and in Everglades National Park (Flamingo and Chokoloskee). The freeze a couple of years ago killed about every snook down there due to the shallow water that got very cold. Looks like they are back. Got 15 snook to 31" a week and a half ago and lost several that looked larger in Flamingo. Going to Choko this coming weekend and I'll let you know. Lots of Reds down there and snook coming back, so should be fun.

• Like Like x 1
  13. beachpiratefla

beachpiratefla Resident Pirate VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fernandina Beach
    Huge Black Drum (60-90 lbs.) eating it up on th northeast coast.

14. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Pics added. Don't worry my buddy didn't hurt himself extending his arm to make his look bigger :roll:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    those are some stud convicts right there.

16. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    good **** Rella!

So pumped for Belize / Costa Maya.. leaving Sunday

17. beachpiratefla

beachpiratefla Resident Pirate VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fernandina Beach
    Nice sheepies

18. PMCGoldenEraG8R

PMCGoldenEraG8R Guest VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Congrats on a great day Rella! Wow..... :)

I'm so glad that this thread is still here, even though I haven't been around the Pub in a long time.

Last year was hit or miss for me for fishing, but I'm off to a better start, as I got a nice fat 32" red the other day. I'm hoping this is a good sign!

Looking dorky in my hat, but need to keep that good ol' Florida sun off my face.

[​IMG]

Now, to go back and read some more of the past posts here. :) Love it!!

19. PMCGoldenEraG8R

PMCGoldenEraG8R Guest VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    OH......BTW rella, my friends went out this morning (Thur. Mar 29) and they limited on trout and had some nice keeper reds, one was exactly 27". They were stopped and inspected by "the man" and he measured that redfish, asking my friend, "Did you pinch the tail?" My friend said that he sure did pinch that tail! :) They passed the "inspection".

They went out of Waccassaa. I just looked again at the picture of that 41" redfish that your friend caught when ya'll fished that area. We hope to go out this weekend in that same area. Lordie, I can't imagine hooking a biggun' like that one! :) I'm sure I'll be thinking about that when we fish for reds there!

I caught that 32" red with a gold spoon. I love it when the reds like to be "spoon fed" but I really love it when they will hit a top water lure!

I can't wait to get back out there on the water! Hope all the fishing fools here are having good fishing days (and fishing nights!) :)

20. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Went out yesterday for the first time in weeks. . .
    A bunch of jacks, ajs and almacos. Got a few decent fish on the reef. . yellowtails that came home for dinner. Put a big, liv e blue runner out hoping for a big cobe or wahoo. Ended up wrenching in a 250lb bull shark. On way home got a nice slot snook. Ss my buddy unhooked it, it threw the treble into his thumb. TThe fish was released to the icw. . my friend released from hospital 3 hours later. LOL!