Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    Sooooo glad we went fishing yesterday instead of watching the Bball game.. hit the pass with Gator7_5 and got into the sheepies pretty good. Filled the cooler and had plenty for a fish fry. Really looking forward to the upcoming Cobia run! Really, fishing is so much more relaxing than gator sports.

2. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    We are going after the sheepies this Saturday weather permitting. The weather has been so bad for the last month I havent made it on the water, but my garden is going to be epic :laugh:.

When do the Cobes run in the panhandle RB? Thought it was April & May.

The reason I ask is we are doing a couples trip to Port St Joe Peninsula the first week in May and I haven't fished there before. Beautiful area and good red & trout action in the bay from what I gather, but I would like to know when the Tarpon & Bobes come thorough that area. If anyone has any intel on the Pt. St Joe/San Blas area I would appreciate it. We will be in a 21ft bay/offshore boat.

3. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    You wont have a cobia migration at Pt St Jow (the fish cross the gulf from Tampa and hit around Panama City), but there will be some resident ones on markers and bouys that time of yr. First cobe over here will be caught around March 10th and the run will end in late April. A warm winter makes for a trickle migrations which can be harder fishing. When we get aharsh wintter and quick spring warm up, they fish pile through and it gets really fun.

Tarpon action in the big bend area is, I believe, dead winter. I wouldn't bet on the info, though.

4. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    It totally goes with the water temp.. but It can be good March, April and May. It's been really warm so I'm expecting to see some reports soon. I start looking at reports for Panama City and then they will be here a few weeks later. I've heard reports off st pete already.

5. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Thanks guys. That is really interesting to hear the that they cross the gulf from S. Pete to Panama City, I didn't know that. I always thought they traveled the continental shelf in the gulf during the winter and came north and into the shallows.

rb I agree 100% with the water temp, the lucky number in my area of the big bend for pleagics is 72. Last year we hit that temp on March 30, and we caught two 30lb Cobes that day.

6. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    Heading to Belize in a few weeks and going to do some inshore fishing.. anybody been and have captain recommendations?

7. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    What do you guys think about moving this thread permanently to the Gator Tail Pub Picture Gallery? That way there's no chance we lose all these great pics.

8. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Any updates? Also, any input on permanently sticking this thread as one of the threads in the GatorTail Pub Picture Gallery. I don't want to do it unless you guys want it there.

9. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    I vote for leave it... I don't ever go into the pictures sub-forum. If this page falls back a few pages I always search for it here. If some users who haven't fished in a while don't know it was moved, they may not find it and think it expired... just my .02

10. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I agree with rburnett, belongs in the main pub area.

Also, I just saw a fishing report that indicated the Cobia have showed up in Tampa Bay in earnest. Wont be long now :yes:

11. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Main pub it is..Thanks for the input.

12. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    Watchin this week's FL Sportsman TV show from Destin catching um.. Not too far away. Gotta get one from my yak this year. Just got some big ole sand wheels for my yak so I can get it to the surf a lot easier.

13. beachpiratefla

beachpiratefla Resident Pirate VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fernandina Beach
    Drum Run will start soon up here in NE Florida...

• Like Like x 1
  14. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Just a tease..

While I've spent countless hours lobbing mingo snapper and eals on some real slobs (Over 100lb) to no avail, this is my biggest to date (on my boat, not angler). Right at 70 lb.

[​IMG]

15. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    you're a d*ck.. call your cousin and let's go!

16. evergator

evergator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fished with my seven year old grandson last Saturday. He caught five Snook between 31 + 35 inches. Not big enough to hold rod normal way so he places butt of rod under arm pit. The only time he needs help is when he gets the Fish to the boat.:yes:

17. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    he's already got my personal best beat! 5 times!

18. sneakygator

sneakygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Trinity, FL
    That's awesome stuff!
    Taking a kid fishing is the best. I can't wait for grandkids.
    I have plenty of nephews and nieces that keep me busy for now.

Congrats to your grandson!

19. beachpiratefla

beachpiratefla Resident Pirate VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fernandina Beach
    Gator trou are tearing it up right now...last of the outgoing, first of the incoming...area creeks...Egans being the best bet...

20. deathroll

deathroll GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Caught the trolling motor last night; put up a helluva fight. Pulled line for maybe 8 - 10 seconds before I/we realized what was happening.

• Like Like x 1