Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    Had some friends from ATL in town for the holiday weekend and decided to get out and try to catch some grouper before they close till next year.. immediately found a massive school of bull reds busting bait on the top and it fast n furious for the first hour or so.. double and triple hookups on light tackle all over the boat.

[​IMG]

All of them had a really nice gold color, pretty fish
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the redfish went down, we hit up some bay spots for grouper and snapper... we killed the snapper, just a shame they all had to be thrown back.

[​IMG]

Wife needs to work on her fish holding skills a little, but I was proud of her today.. she caught her 4 biggest fish ever. 2 big ole redfish and 2 really nice red snapper.

The only grouper we caught were short... oh well, still have plenty in the freezer from that 30 lb'r a few weeks ago!

The really cool thing about this day was the Blue Angels Homecoming airshow was going while we were bottom fishing. Totally awesome to be out there and watching those guys do their thing.

2. g8r925

g8r925 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 10, 2009
    Immokalee,fla
    Didn't even know this thread existed, great pics guys, I went fishing for bass just Friday near Immokalee in a rock pit and caught five, the biggest being about 6lbs. I've got pics I'll try and upload. Pics of all those reds and snook make me miss my boat something awful.

3. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    Spent the whole week of Thanksgiving in St Pete @ the in-laws... so it was a good idea to bring the Hobie down with me. They live on the water, so it was easy to make a launch in the canal and hit up some primo spots near their house.

I got a hot tip from one of my buddies about a particular area, so I went right there on the first morning. Saw one of the pro's with a TV show out there, CA Richardson from Flats Class. Caught 2 nice slot reds and a bunch of trout.

Then pulled up to this nice hole in the mangroves and watched these guys catch about 20 snook. They wouldn't touch my artificials. They were throwing tons of greenies out and getting the snook all fired up, then free lining their baits in there under the mangrove roots. So frustrating to be 20 yards from guys hooking up to some really nice snook and not be able to even get a bite... I would come back prepared.

We called up our buddy with a nice flats boat and planned a trip for Sat. First thing we did was catch a lot of bait (and we still didn't have enough). Then we waited for the tide to start moving and pushed out way back into the hole. Starting throwing out lots of greenies... it was like magic. We didn't see a single snook as we poled in there, but as soon as the bait the water they were EVERYWHERE. We all immediately hooked up. We lost some in the roots, but managed to catch 8 or so really nice ones, a red, and a few trout.. pretty nice inshore slam. Here's my best one:[​IMG]

Here's my brother in law:
    [​IMG]

Fishing this good made the loss on saturday night not feel so bad... that's what it's all about, right?

4. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Where were you, Weedon Island?

5. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    hahah... somewhere far far away :ninja:

6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Good stuff!!!

I have not been out in 5 weeks! Aggghh!!
    Last trip went 2-2 on sails and a nice grouper and mutton.

This damn wind!

7. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007

Lane,

Whatever happened on this trip? Any fishin/fish?

8. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Let's get some updates up in here!

9. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Man I havent been fishing in so long I am not sure if I remember how to!

I have been doing a lot of duck hunting though, here are couple pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    I cashed out a bunch of bass pro gift cards and heading over there next week to get me a new Shimano Torium for bottom fishing.

EDIT:
    Upon further review, I decided to get an old school Shimano TLD Star 15/30 and getting it tricked out by Alan Tani to upgrade the drag to carbon, add a bearing to replace 1 bushing, and get an oversized custom handle. Its going to rip faces off some bottom fish very soon. better price, made in Japan, and out performs the Shimano Trinidad and other 200-500$ reels.

fyi on a really good reel maintenance and upgrade site - www.alantani.com

11. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Anyone get some huntin' or fishin' in? Any new gear for christmas you can show us?

12. sneakygator

sneakygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Trinity, FL
    Took my 13 year old nephew out just before Christmas and he caught his first redfish.
    His third red ever was a 26 incher and I had a blast watching him catch it!
    He was saying "I think this one is bigger" as he was reeling it in.
    I saw the tail come out of the water and I was ready to watch a good fight.
    He did a great job for a beginner and with a little coaching he got it to the boat.
    Will post pics later.

13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    8 year old son got several jacks and one 26 15/16" redfish at Blind Pass out on Sanibel yesterday. I wanted to fillet and release right there but he made me take it home to show Mom and his sisters. New rod/reel that Santa brought him and he broke it in right. He lost another red that was probably 40" plus but when he saw the shoreline, he made a hard run and got to the pilings. Also hooked but lost a couple of small snook. Nice way to start the new year. I found a nice G-loomis rod in brand new condition for myself on craigslist for $80. 7' 14 - 17 lb spinning rod added to the arsenal .... sweet rod

14. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I had a friend in town this weekend who wanted me to take he and his wife on a boat ride. I do not go on the baot without a fishing rod. When they saw me load take the fishing rod out, they looked puzzled. I explained my policy.
    Anyway, it was flat calm so we raced offshore. We spotted a couple turtles and porpoises. They were thrilled. A couple miles offshore I saw 10-12 birds working very hard. I raced over, threw a rapala on the spnning rod and set it back. I cut off the birds . . . and Zzzzzing! Fish on! for the next 1.5 the boat ride became a fishing trip. My friends were estatic. We only had the one rod, and the lone rapala... but we followed those birds to 8 or so blackfin tuna, a couple skip jacks and several bonito. None of them were big.... all footballs. But it was a blast. It was the wife's first fish! And it was the fish's lucky day... no ice, so all were released. Hope that gives me good karma for 2012!!! :)

15. GatorLane77

GatorLane77 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, man. I really didn't get to do what I wanted since we were sailing everywhere. I mulled over all the advice I got and after talking with the cap't and seeing the routes we were sailing, I decided to go light rigs and tackle. Well, every time we sailed somewhere, I had a line out trolling. I caught a few small spanish macks and a few small jacks, but nothing great....all on spoons.

The first night we moored, I didn't have any bait so I didn't fish, but I picked some squid up the next day. That night I was dragging in tons of mangrove snapper and was able to keep several to filet. My buddy asked if he could fish and I rigged up my other pole. He wasn't fishing for 5 minutes and the line started screaming off of the reel. He ended up pulling in a very nice jack. He was excited since he never fishes at all. He put the pole down afterward and it was the only fishing he did that whole trip.

I don't have any pics of the fish since they were taken on other's cameras and we haven't exchanged pics yet, but here's the boat we were sailing. 40 ft cat..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was great sailing.

We were drinking a bunch that night that my buddy caught the one jack and 4 of the 6 of us decided to go in to the island and party for the night. So we jumped in the dinghy and took off not even thinking about the line I still had out. Well, my other buddy that stayed on the boat fell asleep and woke up to my reel screaming and went out and reeled in a jack bigger than the other one my other buddy caught. Well, these were, by far, the largest fish caught on the trip. Yes me, the guy that packed all the crap to fish, didn't catch the largest nor the second largest fish on the trip. So, Murphy's Law was in full effect that week. It's ok though because we had a great time and my buddies get to bust my chops for a while.

I appreciate all the advice you guys gave me, but the boat wasn't rigged at all for fishing nor did we get in waters that would've worked for the setups that you described. I still had a blast though and thanks for asking, but more so, thanks for all the advice.

16. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    Ridiculous weather weekend up here in the panhandle, it was in the 70's both days.. sunny, and absolutely no wind. Hit up my local honey hole (flats behind my condo) and snagged a nice 26" stud trout on a mirrodine. Release to bite another day (hopefully the upcoming spring yak tournament).

Finally talked my buddy (gator7_5) out of his tree stand to go for some deep water beasts on Sunday. After the ride out the bottom machine lit up with fish all over the water column. I was eager to test out my new bottom fishing setup, shimano TLD star 15/30 w 65lb braid and shimano tallus rod. Immediately smoked an undersized AJ, then on the next drop before it even got to the bottom this monster took me for several drag-screaming runs (totally locked down 25lbs of drag)...

[​IMG]

There was some debate over whether this was an Almaco or Amber, what say you fishin fools?

We also caught a few more short AJ's and a Scamp, but ran into some fuel tank issues so headed back in to be safe. Fortunately, we did not run out of gas 30 miles offshore. Ate the scamp for lunch, watched Tebow do his thing, awesome cap to a great weekend.

17. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Thats a tough call, but AJ. You can usually tell by the dorsal, but it is not raised in the pic.
    here are couple photos of each. . .

AJs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

almaco:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really think you got an AJ. . . and a beastly one at that! It is tough to see the fins, but the bigger almacos I have caught tend to be more stout and compact than the longer AJs.

18. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I disagree. I've caught a lot of both and have zero doubt it is an almaco. That dorsal is extremely elongated and it was way more round and fat than an AJ. In fact it looked exactly like your first almaco pic. It's just a huge one, but that's how rburnett prefers them. Either way, it tasted good!

19. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    Pensacola Beach
    We caught a few other AJ's wish we would have done a side by side pic to compare.. it was a beast, no doubt. I've caught personal bests about every time I've gone out with Gator7_5!

Smoked some on Sunday for some smoked fish dip, then marinaded and grilled some last night for fish tacos.. think that's my fav way to eat AJ's.

20. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I will defer to you. . . as you saw it first hand! I couldnt see the dorsal, but that is a beast of an almaco! Congrats!!!!