Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The first and the last

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Jul 18, 2019.

1. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    On any given day, the Gators could lose to Miami and even FSU, based solely on the talent that they each possess. I believe the Miami game will be very close, and, the FSU game will be a bit closer than last year. I do however, feel like we will be better prepared going into the season and each game, and better coached on game day than Miami or FSU. Willie Taggart is just plain a bad coach with a 52-57 record, and, Diaz is at least a question mark. I predict we win both, but, the team had better not be overconfident for either game. I want to watch FSU lose to us in Gainesville so bad I can almost taste it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    TrueGator, I decided to skip just “disagreeing” with your post and actually respond instead.

I just don’t see what’s making you think that f$u is going to do better against the Gators than they did last year? They aren’t getting better players than we are. I don’t see willie getting the team to be more disciplined or play better than he did last year. He’s been an HC for several years and isn’t getting any better. They definitely have a WORSE situation at QB. I’m pretty sure this year is in The Swamp. Everything is pointing to an epic beat down of the noles. This game is gonna end up having a nickname. Lol

scUM might keep it close as both teams knock off the rust. But Gators will pull away in the 3rd quarter and we win by 3 TDs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    CalGator, appreciate the substantiated disagreement so I can see where you're coming from. Thanks for that. The only reason I think the game will be a little closer is because I am giving some credit to a new Offensive Coordinator taking some degree of control over Taggart's chaotic and undisciplined approach to game prep and especially game day. Maybe Briles can at least count to eleven under pressure. But, I would love nothing more than for the beat-down that you're predicting to materialize. I guess the home field advantage for a rivalry game like this might outweigh any improvements on their end. And, yes, their QB situation is not good, but, I don't think it was good last year either.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

We have several huge plusses going for us heading into the season....

We have a genius of a head coach, who has already shown his ability not only to develop players to perform to a higher level, but is a true wizard on making halftime adjustments, and his playcalling...

Plus, we have Savage's strength and conditioning, which is a HUGE advantage when we play the full 60 minutes of football at full capacity, while our opponents have continuously tired

Franks will also be another gigantic surprise this season, with his new found confidence from the end of last season, and his new finesse in his passing displayed in the spring.

I think we're going to wear down Miami, (if it's even a close game), and just start to roll through most of our opponents.. even surprising the Dawgs, when we send them back to the pound!

GO GATORS!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. recongator

recongator All American

Nov 26, 2017
    I’m still riding the high of the way the team finished last year. Mullen proved in his first year his game day coaching abilities and crucial half time adjustments. His superior coaching skills and program and player development history belays any worries. Gators whooping scUM azz , believe it! I’m telling y’all now Georgia’s going down too

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. 1oldgator

1oldgator All American

Sep 14, 2014
    Not just a new head coach, but a coach making his coaching debut, with a brand new offensive staff and possibly a QB making his first start, without the normal tune up but instead have to face a good SEC defense while trying to work the kinks out, call me crazy but I'm just not going to apologize for feeling very confident in this one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. UFGator93

UFGator93 Freshman

Apr 15, 2007

If the 3 of us were able to keep ALL the Florida kids IN Florida, I honestly believe we would take turns winning the National Championship. Successful teams throughout the country are always stocked with Florida kids...

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    TrueGator, I see your point about briles being a wildcard. I guess we’ll find out if he’s been riding daddy’s coattails all these years or not. Lol

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not to mention that the Manny Diaz hire was a move of desperation by Miami. As a head coach, Diaz's market value was taking over an 8–5 American Athletic Conference team (Temple). There were 26 FBS (Division 1) head coaching openings last year and he ended with Temple. However people are bolstering him now, he did not have the reputation to get a major job anywhere.

10. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    And he didn’t. Lol

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    This is true.

What other state can hang with Florida (Miami, FSU, and UF) from 83' to 13'? Add up all the National Championships, Heisman Trophies, and NFL All-Pros, and we are unrivaled.

In the 80's and 90's the three FL powerhouses really dominated the NCAA because most FL talent stayed in state.

That doesn't happen anymore for obvious reasons.

12. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Pure stop gap hire to try and save the recruiting class. They can try and spin it however they like. He works cheap.

13. melrose12

melrose12 Premium Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Diaz will do well in Miami. He will keep a lot of kids from S. Fl. Also good motivator. If he has good ASST Coaches, and A QB comes thru he can win 9-10 this year. Glad we have them 1st game instead of 5th.

14. That will be a very tough task for Mullen. I suspect we will always be slightly behind the other 2 schools in the bling-bling popularity index among FL HS kids. Mullen will have to out-coach his level of talent.

And he won't cheat, which automatically puts him at a disadvantage against gump, l$u and uga.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    Hey GH..."10-0"? I'm confused...they were 5-5 at 10 games. What did I miss?

16. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not last year, but the year before (2017). From November 5th 2016 - November 18th 2017, Miami was 15-0. Canes fans really nurse that boob for everything its worth. Here is the list of juggernauts from that winning streak:

Pittsburgh 51 - 28
    Virginia 34 - 14
    NC State 27 - 13
    Duke 40 - 21
    West Virginia 31 - 14
    Bethune-Cookman 41 - 13
    Toledo 52 - 30
    Duke 31 - 6
    Florida St 24 - 20
    Georgia Tech 25 - 24
    Syracuse 27 - 19
    North Carolina 24 - 19
    Virginia Tech 28 - 10
    Notre Dame 41 - 8
    Virginia 44 - 28

17. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    They should be glad they got us the 1st game and not the 5th. Mullen has shown his team improve over course of season. Diaz??? Lot of projection based on nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    Ahhhh...thanks for the clarification. And let's not forget 3 of their 5 wins last year was the Murderers Row of savannah state, toledo, and fiu.

19. melrose12

melrose12 Premium Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I agree Mullen gets them to improve, but we have the advantage with a Returning QB, and Head Coach.
    I just think Diaz is a good coach, based on nothing but my feelings.

20. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    With no clear starter at QB, Miami could still be playing musical QBs at game 5. Lot of unknowns for them.