Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The first and the last

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    or in college football speak for Gator fans, Miami and FSU.

Lets talk about the Canes and Noles a bit.
    I've noticed the board has been somewhat, how shall I say, overconfident about these two programs.

Interestingly the coaching change at Miami has not resulted in a
    huge recruiting drop off for the Canes. I'm a bit surprised at how well they are doing.

Same with FSU. Talk about a train wreck to end the season, however my general impression is that the bleeding has stopped (for now) and they are doing better than "I" expected.

Regarding both clubs - I know Miami has a reputation recently for having a bunch of early commitments that depart. FSU seems to be incapable of replenishing it's offensive line.

So my point in all this is that UF has a unique but small window
    to surpass our two big in state rivals. Clearly if CDM could repeat last years success and those other guys stay down UF should really "vault" in recruiting in the 2020 - 2021 cycle.

I was hoping Dan would have that "magical" 2nd year recruiting cycle we so often see with new high profile hires. While CDM's 2nd year will be quite good - I'm thinking we end up somewhere between 5th - 8th, its not shaping up quite as well as I had hoped for.

At the end of the day it's crucial to win both of these games and hopefully a win against UGA will really turn the momentum our way.

It's a big year, I'm excited and I hope the Gators kick the Canes and the Noles as much as possible while they are4 a bit "down".

Of course it doesn't help that Clemson, Bama, UGA and to a lesser extent LSU are poaching our kids.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

So far, we're ranked #8 in the upcoming class.
    As we go through our season, as I believe we will under Mullen's leadership, our recruiting class will steadily improve, not only this year,but in the future.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I am worried that Miami will take prized recruits, but nothing else. Manny Diaz is more of a hybrid between Ron Zook and Randy Shannon. I was tempted to say Will Muschamp, but Muschamp was a consistently great DC. (In 12 seasons, Diaz has had three top-25 defenses, but also lead one of the worst defenses, statistically, in Texas history; last year, they were top-5, but did not have to play Clemson; the only top-25 offenses he faced last year, Miami gave up 33+ to both) His success will likely mirror that of Shannon down there, who also started as an all-world recruiter when he took over.

Great recruiter, really has the support of south Florida, but ultimately, he's a first-year head coach with a fickle fan base. Young team, lost a lot from last year, first-year head coach, probably .500 next year, may reach 7 wins in year two, but with that fan base, they'll probably have a new coach in 2021.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    #1 the confidence stems from a pure coaching stand point. CDM is a tenured SEC HC and won NC's here, took a a ship with no direction coming off a 4-7 season and win 10 games with a HUGE statement bowl win. Meanwhile cesspool and miami are coming off terrible seasons with 2 questionable at best HC's.

# 2 Recruiting, I'll start with Miami. They are still a popular draw with the nightlife, beaches, women, academics, and the NFL players that perform in the NFL. fsu, if you can breath and can play you pretty much qualify there. Plus all the smoke about their... .questionable tactics and bankrupt ethics. Florida, we're in the most cutthroat conference in the country hands down. Saban, Fisher, O, Smart.... and even Mahlzan raid the state, all also have very questionable recruiting tactics.

I have no doubts CDM has the chops to compete for NC's here at Florida. He's smart, young, energetic, and does things the right way. Also Saban and Fisher won't be around forever !

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    I'm not worried about the clown schools in-state. UM and FSU need us, we don't need them. It's the SEC that counts.

This isn't the 90's and Aught's where rampant cheating kept them in the mix with us and all three schools were dominating the Top 10 and winning multiple National Championships and Heisman Trophies.

FSU has been set back a decade, and UM has been set back two decades. We have already surpassed them. FSU screwed itself with the Willie hire. He is actually worse than McDeathThreats.

UM will always get a lot of that SoFla talent. It's been that way for 35 years no matter who the coaches are at UM, FSU, or UF. Nothing will ever change that. And a lot of those kids just don't have the grades to get into UF. And they aren't leaving the SoFla lifestyle to come to G'ville and Alachua.

Mullen is on the right track and really can't be expected to dig us out of a ten year drought in just 1.5 years. But he is doing a damn good job of it so far even with setbacks.

This season will be as good as last year and I think we get over the UGA hump. All the pressure to win a Natty is on them. Kirby has had a nice run, but other than the edge over UF (while we've been down), he doesn't have many trophies to show for it.

After we beat UGA and have another great season and Top 5-10 ranking, plus the renovations, I think we start getting the studs to flock here.

But no matter what, we will always be behind the curve when it comes to BAMA and others due to academic requirements and stipends/payments.

We will beat LSU again this season. I don't think they really poach from us. Orgeron has a head start over Mullen right now. That wasn't the case when Mullen was at MSU for an extended period. And the LSU/MSU playing field was never level, yet Mullen did just fine.

And LSU pays some of their kids, so you are never gonna get certain recruits unless you want UF to go back to the days of the early to mid 80's.

The future looks bright and Go Gators!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I agree about CDM - Honestly he performed a mini miracle last year, what a great job he has done.

I'm not much into the "facilities" battle because I think some SEC schools spend absurd amounts of money. Anyway if Dan has a similar year as last year and with the new facilities under construction UF should vault into elite status.

I'm hoping next years recruiting cycle will reflect that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Agree about the FSU disaster. Miami MAY be a bit of a different story. If our Oline is steady and consistent we will roll them as the game goes on. If not, anything can happen in Orlando. There is no more optimistic fan than I about Dan Mullen, but the Miami game will carry a lot of weight and it will be a slobber knocker. Their D is better than many here give them credit. Diaz is unproven as a head coach, but that does not mean he is a bad coach.

My belief is that we take over in the second half, but rivalry games like this take on a flavor of their own, especially if they keep it close due to either breaks or officiating.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    manigordo -
    Don't forget Miami was 10-0 last year before the wheels came off. I'm with you, a slugfest that won't be decided until late.

If we can block and get our backs out in space we will be ok (IMO).

9. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Worry only changes your life span

• Like Like x 2
  10. melrose12

melrose12 Premium Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I would take 4th every year and be happy. Heck top 8 every year with Mullen I will take that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Yep. Last year the recruiting board was having a melt down over the lack of a class. This was coming off a 4 win season. People yelled that DM can't recruit. Winning programs recruit a lot easier than losing ones all else being equal. Beat UGA, fs$u, UM, and look good in the SECCG, we will switch places with uga as the new media darling and recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gators8

gators8 GC Legend

Oct 1, 2007
    I think you might be thinking 2017, they were never close to 10-0 last year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Teaser title.....:confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    take care of business, beat them both, and keep building for eventual hardware

15. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    That's right 8 - I don't follow Miami very closely lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    Ha-ha! Larry Coker, Nevin Shapiro, and Luther Campbell aren't on staff anymore. And they haven't done squat since then. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    I haven't watched Miami much at all. But my take is they are a speed defense that flies around a bunch. Looking at clips from their spring ball they seemed to lack our level of S&C. Also looked like a coaching staff finding their way. Players doing things wrong continuously without coaches stepping in to get it right immediately.
    Those big boys from Wisconsin overwhelmed them in their bowl game. I expect us to overwhelm them with our SEC/Savage physicality also. Plus we have that Florida speed to add to that mix along with an established confident QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    If Gators beat Miami, it will help recruiting. If they beat UM and FSU this year, should set us up well for future with kids coming through system now. We will get there is we take care of Business on the field. We should have the better skill position players on Offense and a solid D.

19. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan All American

Mar 17, 2019
    People are so obsessed of being ranked #1 in recruiting. So, if a coach at UF has a top 5 to 8 recruiting class every year, he will never amount to anything? I'll take being ranked #5 post season anyday over being ranked #1 preseason. I wouldn't want to be known as preseason champs like the dogs or vols.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Gator_druid

Gator_druid All American

Oct 20, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    We need all the best players in FL to want to go to UF and not UM or clown college, much less out of state to our rivals.

• Agree Agree x 3