Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

"The Fifth Quarter": Gators v LSU post game discussion thread

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatornana, Oct 12, 2019.

1. recongator

recongator GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    Hopefully the OC for the corndogs gets a HC job soon preferably OOC.
    Take him out and Beavis gone and LSU is very beatable

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    It’s not dogging Franks to say Trask is playing at an ATH Gator great level (better than Leak).

3. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I know but I figured some would take it that way. Seems to me like that’s a forgone conclusion, we woulda got housed

4. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Saying the D lost the game is not accurate.

Injuries on defense hurt us.

The turnover by the offense when we were about to score hurt us.

Some of the play calling was iffy.

We played against a superior team in a hostile environment.

Officiating was mostly one-sided with a huge bias against us.

It wasn't just one thing.

Although it's convenient to put all the blame in one category - it's not accurate.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    UF needed 3 more stops to win. More mistakes and bad calls on the defensive side did cost us the game IMO. Greenard and Zuniga are the big playmakers and left a huge void when out.

Agree the third and one interception was the turning point. The officials didn’t do the Gators any favors by allowing LSU DB’s to manhandle our receivers from the opening whistle to our last possession. IMO both QB’s played well. LSU’s staff out coached UF’s on big plays in crunch time and their players made plays that gave them the margin of victory.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We have to finish well. SC, Georgia. Mizzou then thrash fsu.

Experienced SEC recruiters must have known that wasn’t going to fly at UF.

Hope you are right. IMO it’s all about recruiting which will be going reasonably well if staff finishes this cycle with great players. Next cycle looks good already. SC, georgia, Missouri, fsu. It’s all about those four games. We are a one-deep team and changing that is paramount. Not only is LSU’s roster loaded but their incoming class is phenomenal, along with georgia’s and Alabama’s. I hope that with the closing of this cycle and next we are seeing our ascent back to national level talent and depth.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe you are spot on and you see we aren’t deep enough on defense. Its a shame that we didn’t stop LSU when we needed to. Their pass offense reminded me of Spurrier’s. I didn’t expect them to score at will and thought our D would hold them to about half their average but nope.

• Like Like x 1
  9. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    This...

Details at this juncture are for the coaches to figure out. And, IMHO, we have the coaches and players that can make adjustments. Hopefully our guys get healthy. Going into this game I thought we could win. IMHO, over the last few years these guys have been recruiting really well and under-performed, and then... they finally got another coach who put it all together. What a difference. We needed a perfect game to win under the circumstances.

I'm not drowning in the usual mandatory three days of mourning. Not after this one. We showed up, did remarkably well and lost a game to a rival that could very well end up in the play-offs or winning a natty, and there might even be a Heisman tossed in for the effort! Think about that!

It's great to-be a Florida Gator...and a big shout out to the kids that play the game and the coaches that inspire them! While I might be able to temper my disappointment, those kids probably have a heavy hearts. Thanks guys

Go Gators.:D

• Like Like x 2
  10. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I can't say any bad things regarding this team. They were the underdogs playing in a hostile environment. They hang in there for as long as they can. I even thought they can pull it out. Losing 2 of your best defensive players is just too much to overcome. Especially if some of the other good players are just recovering from their injuries as well. Need to build the roster, so in a situation like this, you will be able to plug in the next guy with little to no dropoff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The receiver doesn't need to fall down for that to be called. For all time, when someone does a Google search for defensive holding, that video should be #1.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

13. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    so true. Turns out we had to play mistake free and score more than 28 just to make it to OT because their offense was nearly flawless. And right, they have a real chance imo to beat Alabama this season. It is at Alabama. Can’t wait for that game actually.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. bperkins10

bperkins10 All American

May 25, 2007
    Illinois
    If you recall the forst play of that drive, EJ hit
    And that is exactly what everyone thinks you are going to do. Why not try to surprise them and get the TD? You still have a 4th down to pickup the yard. Also, even if you get the one yard/1st down you still have to score a TD.

15. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Not happening this season. Even if the NCAA approves it, the SEC still has to as well, and they won’t. This has been discussed here many times. Cox is next season.

16. StrengthAndHonor

StrengthAndHonor Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa Bay area
    Anyone else hear a beeping noise on the broadcast last night throughout the game? I talked to a couple of others who watched it and they heard it too. Sounded like the beeping a truck makes when backing up. Really annoying.

17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Wait . . . better than Chris Leak, who as a freshman, won @ top five LSU? I love Trask. I've waited for this moment in time to come ever since he arrived on campus as an underdog from an outstanding Texas HS program. But this is still just that - a moment in time. Comparing Trask to Leak at this early stage in his performance is not fair.

18. UFGator93

UFGator93 Freshman

Apr 15, 2007
    Yes! I heard it. Thought I was going crazy. I lasted the entire second half...

19. RAC

RAC Freshman

Dec 10, 2008
    Gainesville
    Offense played amazing. Trask and EJ seemed utterly unfazed by situation. Defense got shredded. Dropping into zone and leaving the middle of the field wide open didn't help matters. Certainly losing both DEs sealed the deal for LSU's win and was the "kiss of death" for us.
    On the interception Trask pass was low and inside and Jefferson was in position for a high outside pass. Not sure if it was poorly thrown or Trask and Jefferson were not on same page of where ball was supposed to go. From Trask's immediate reaction it looked like he threw it where he thought Jefferson was going to be

20. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Because its football and you improve your odds of moving forward with 4 downs versus 1 and there is the commonly held belief that the red zone holds a higher risk if success if passing than running.
    Fact is we needed a first down at that point more than the need to "trick" them.

• Agree Agree x 2