Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

"The Fifth Quarter": Gators v LSU post game discussion thread

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatornana, Oct 12, 2019.

1. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    Proud of our team. They went blow-for-blow against say top 5 team at their home. Yes, a few questionable decisions yet overall we are a handful of players short of being a beast.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Our D lost this one. We never slowed LSU down. As for recruiting, think about this; Joe Burrow transferred from OSU. He may very well win the Heisman. That’s how much talent Urban stockpiles. We are going to have to up the ante in recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Dan & co got one aspect of the game exactly how they wanted it. TOP - UF 38:19 LSU 21:41 Plays - UF 84 LSU 44.
    LSU still rolled up 511yds & 42pts running only 44 plays, that is impressive, wow!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. sqgator

sqgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Whatever happened to Trey Dean? Did he even play in the game? That guy seems to completely disappear this year....

5. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Impressive and pathetic. I don't think I have ever seen an offense face less resistance. Those numbers are stunning. Nebraska 95 esque

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JaxGator75

JaxGator75 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Kind of hard to get open when this is what the coverage was like in the 2nd half...

This was the INT play in the endzone.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  7. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I’m by no means a moral victory guy but if I’m being honest I took more positives away from this loss given how we played for the bulk of it than I have during any win this year

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    It seemed like Dean sat, Wilson was playing star and Elam was in at corner. No pass rush allowed the LSU QB all night to find the open receiver. Having no proven depth is going to make USCe, Missouri and UGA uphill battles. We need miracle healings for Greenard and Zuniga.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Why would the ref in the screen looking right at it not call it? Don't blame Cleveland at all but if he fell down I wonder if it is called

10. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    This is the first year CDM has a legit product to sell recruits. National tv, high rank, young guys getting playing time, and the ability for recruits in areas of need can see themselves being successful (i.e.) winning. When CDM sits in a living room he has relevant recent credibility with all the exposure and success we have had this year.

Also, we will be in the mix for better qualified recruits that aren’t stretches to get thru the doors. Attrition before enrollment hurt the last class. My opinion is we are 1-2 years ahead of schedule for the timeline in terms of competing on the national scene for major hardware. YMMV

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I believe he had the PI call down the middle deep and then got beat on the TD pass the very next play in the front right corner of the end zone.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Just popped the game in to see if I saw what I thought I saw and first thing I see is espns “impact player” tracker.... ours was Greenard and Zuniga. Fair to say Our reactions to the two of them being out was spot on

13. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Just woke up here on the left coast...few thoughts.

Recruiting: Need some 'big uglies' and and another Toney type guy. One of those fast 4.4 round the end guys. We have two very good (actually 3) QB's. Trask is very good and I'd never take him out unless he's stinking it up. He held onto the ball and had one pick due to, IMHO, continuity. All the feedback from announcers and Gator faithful and write-ups weren't fans of yanking Trask. He's a baller.

Goal line stand. Having the ball two times inside the 10 or 5 yard line and not being able to punch it in was mind-boggling and frustrating. Hats off to LSU-it was like they had 14 guys on the field. I say this respectfully; coaches need to fine tune what they're up to. Or it could just be we got out-coached and out-played, not by much but just enough.

Our defense took a step backwards (injuries noted) and just couldn't 'contain' and defend a prolific passing game. They actually did well, but not a great.

The good:
    Our kids showed heart and Trask is a stud. They're all very good. It's all out in front of us for the taking still. We lost a close night game in a very hostile environment in the SEC. Being there was a good thing for the younger kids. We beat them a few times now and they finally returned the favor. I thought this game was closer than the score showed. We had a good game plan. Theirs was a little better and they were realistically the better team. That's okay. It blows, but it is what it is...

We'll always have the Auburn game...

Time to regroup. I'm proud of our kids.

Go Gators:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    We need cox to get the waiver we’ve all been waiting on

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Dan needs to trust Trask. He’s showing he’s a top 10 QB in CFB. Damn near elite. Best QBs since Tebow and Grossman so far. His performance so far has been better than Leak

It’s one thing to bring EJ in for wildcat in short yardage situations. That’s fine.

It’s another thing to pull your elite QB for the entirety of the most important series of the game. Why was EJ throwing third and long when we got an elite arm?

And Dan needs to let Trask manage the O in the RZ. One pass from first and goal from the 4 when we needed to conserve time? Imo that’s an easy 4 passes for Trask (at least until 4th down).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, that'll come through around 10 p.m. on Nov. 2.

17. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Is that after the ga game? I said a month ago I think he gets cleared during the bye week before Jacksonville, but I could just be being overly optimistic

18. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep.

I like your optimism, but the conference isn't going to do us any favors.

19. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Never thought I would say this but I think we miss chaunceys ability and attitude on the back end more than I originally thought we would

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I don’t want this to seem like a shot bec it’s absolutely not one but we May have gotten beat by 30+ if our qb situation hadn’t changed this season. Possibly more. Those were all long sustained and impressive drives we had on the 4 tds and the 2 other trips to the red zone. Each one of the 6 was 70+ yards.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1