Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

"The Fifth Quarter": Gators v LSU post game discussion thread

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatornana, Oct 12, 2019.

1. gatornana

gatornana Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is the place after the game to post your thoughts and comments, rants and raves.......

Go Gators! :alligator:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. hillraiser

hillraiser Freshman

Feb 7, 2019
    One month ago Kentucky was handing us our hats headed into 4Q and the October gauntlet looked like a death march.

Will end up beating Auburn and UGA, controlling own destiny.

Just don’t have enough true difference makers...Mullen is going to need to have success on the recruiting trial

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. up

up GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    With Greenard and Zuniga back I think we beat them in Atlanta if we both make it there.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    For the rest of the season, I will cheer for LSU to run the table. I pray for a rematch in ATL.

• Like Like x 8
  5. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    The 2nd half game plan really was disappointing and kind of gives the appearance that the coaches were trying to hard.
    We had zero trouble moving and scoring, took the lead and then along comes EJ for a series backed up at our end zone. 3rd and 1 and throw it in the endzone? The play calling just lost its meaning...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorogue

gatorogue Sophomore

Jul 15, 2009
    No defensive adjustments by Grantham
    Questionable substitution of EJ for Trask when the offense is running on all cylinders on the possession early in the 3rd with the score 28-28
    Tell me again why coaches make millions of dollars?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. UFish

UFish GC Legend

Dec 14, 2010
    Mostly a well-called game offensively. Took advantage of match-ups and found a way to run the ball a little better than we have. Pitts is a beast and glad we have Trask. The game plan of eating clock and putting long drives to keep Burrow was a good one. Worked for a while but our defense just couldn’t get a stop. Speaking of which...

Worst performance by a Florida defense since the 2016 SECCG, albeit against a very legit offense. We won’t play a better QB this year (no, not even Fromm) and probably won’t play as good a receiving corps until we play LSU next year. Our safeties took bad angles and our pas rush disappeared without Zuniga and Greenard (to be expected).

I like every matchup we have going forward, except Missouri. But we have to get healthy. If Greenard and Zu are out for a while, the defense will suffer severely. Carolina is no pushover.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    2 best defensive players out.
    Elam a true fresh playing.
    QB with a gimpy knee

But for the pick on 3rd and 2 its a tie game with 6 mins left.

Lots to play for

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Rkb75

Rkb75 Junior

Sep 19, 2015
    Great effort. Thought we had them when we went up 28-21, BUT no answers defensively...at all...at any time. Not sure of the strategy. Sure it hurt badly that Greenard and Zuniga were out, but still not sure what the plan was.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Greenard had me concerned at the end of the auburn game. If I knew he would be out and Zuniga would still be limited I would not have expected a win. That said, the game plan was perplexing. Not sure what our goal was. No spy but no real pressure either. Manpower may dictate that but at some point have to try something. I'm not sure ive ever seen such an inept attempt at defense save for 95 Nebraska and 92 fsu games.

Offense is fine. Trask is a cool customer. Like what Emory brings but he was overused tonight.

I'm ok with losing but would have liked to have seen it a bit closer in the end.

For people to act like refs don't matter I dont know what to say. They didn't win the game for them but there were some egregious missed calls that make a difference in a game like that. Facemask non call, missed holding calls, early contact on recievers and I don't know hiw the Cleveland hold isn't all over media. It was awful. Bad calls go both ways but we are fragile and don't have the depth to overcome injuries to our best players, untimely play calls and missed penalties.

I'm concerned going forward with the nagging injuries otherwise I'd say the future is bright

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    People keep saying this and I'm not sure why it's hard to fathom what Mullen might have been thinking. Try to get the TD on 3rd and if you fail, run it on 4th to get the yard. Pretty straightforward thing, and yet people are acting like he tried to run the fumblerooski.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatorogue

gatorogue Sophomore

Jul 15, 2009
    Oh that's right Its a perfect time for a freshman. Deep in your own territory in the
    third qtr of a tie game in Death Valley when you call 3 rushing plays which
    will completely surprise the defense. Brilliant!

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Love Dan, not his best 4th qtr though. Just don’t get the forcing of EJ into those two drives. He never did that with FF. Those late red zone calls were just odd too. He just gets tight it seems.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. WhattaGator1

WhattaGator1 Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Oct 12, 2019
    I really gotta give our guys a lot of props!!

They played their hearts out...and, as some key players on the defense got injured, it took a big chunk of our edge rush away....
    It gave "Beavis" more time and scrambling room.

Congrats to our guys for playing a hard fought game...

Trask performed great, just up until the last two red zone drives...the kid has pretty much been thrown into the National spotlight, and performed better than many expected...

We have a bright future ahead of us!!

GO GATORS!!

• Like Like x 7
  15. Headshot

Headshot All American

Oct 22, 2010
    I feel heartbroken for Kyle Trask. He did not deserve what happened to him in this game. He could have had the moment of his football playing life, and it was taken away from him for no reason.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  16. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    The defense did not play good enough to win this game. LSU could have lost it but they did not. I thought the only real brain fart was Mullen's call on the 3rd and 1 that resulted in the interception. We needed to score and the call was not the correct one. I would have run it....twice.

Good game to watch. We need to figure out how to get some better play out of our defensive middle. The O-line is...our O-line this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Nava_Gator

Nava_Gator Freshman

Jan 5, 2015
    Really proud of how they played and yes the play calls were questionable but I think this clearly shows we're going in the right direction but recruiting it's going to Be the deciding factor on whether this team will become elite again or just an average middle of the road SEC team.

• Like Like x 1
  18. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Right. Are you aware that "adjustments" aren't just some magic fairy dust coaches sprinkle to get better results? If you think you know better why aren't you making millions?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. gatorogue

gatorogue Sophomore

Jul 15, 2009
    Grantham, I don't what to say. I could have completed passes with the time
    Burrow had. LSU receivers are too talented not to get open even if we are DBU
    Did we blitz at all?

20. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    In a short field and being given the option to run 2 plays to get 1 yard versus throw into the end zone.
    I take running outside the tackles. 1 yard.

• Agree Agree x 1