Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Eagle has landed

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by BA69MA72, Jul 17, 2019.

1. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Apologize if this is narcissistic. This being a baseball forum, and the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, it's one of the memorable times of my life.

I graduated in June 69--not from UF (see my login) and while waiting to hear from my draft board about my future I had a part-time job doing PR for our local Cal League SF Giants minor league affiliate, including serving as stadium announcer (if you're old enough, George Foster and Steve Stone were our most successful "grads")

After the Eagle landed there was uncertainty about exactly when the astronauts would emerge. We had a game scheduled for that day, but our GM didn't want to play if it would compete. Unfortunately, we had a rainout the day before, and had no choice but to play.

No video boards, iPads, in those days. Our stadium security guy (yep, one guy--looked like Barney Fife, but didn't act like him) brought a 13-inch b&w portable tv up to the press box (if you're old enough you know exactly what the tv looked like).

So, the 4-5 of us in the press box watched tv coverage of the moon events. For some reason there was a decent crowd. We wondered in the press box why anyone would be at the game. )

It was late afternoon with a blue sky and a half or quarter moon visible. Thanks to the little portable tv, when it happened I got to announce "Attention please. Neil Armstrong has just stepped onto the moon."

Maybe the weirdest thing--nobody cheered or made noise, but everyone looked up at the moon.

I don't remember who we played or what the score was.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    ^^^^

Outstanding BA, outstanding!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I was in high school summer school that summer not because I was held back, but because it was part of my master plan to get out of HS as soon as possible. And I did. When I finished my first semester of college I was 17 years old.

I can still remember being at a friend's house watching the lift-off and the trans-lunar injection days before the landing.

We got the day off on July 20th, 1969.

And I do not believe that it was all shot on a set by Stanley Kubrick.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife got one from her grandma when we were first married. I didn't have a TV.

We could kind of get a bunch of stuff on cable just from the signal off of the cables, but it was kind of blurry. We watched a lot of the 1983 baseball post season that way.

• Like Like x 1
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Love these type stories. My Dad told me he was the first in his neighborhood growing up to have a TV and all the neighbors would come over to watch when he was a child. The things we take for granted now were luxury items at one time. For example, flying in an aircraft was not the norm for most due to the expense, a portable cell phone was an extravagant item, .... now everyone routinely has all these items.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    IGWT—

Completely agree. When we did get a TV it was black and white—I think we were one of the last families to get a color TV around where we lived.
    Cell phone, Lol, we had a “party line” telephone...no dial, just flip the receiver a couple of times and tell the operator who you wanted to talk to (if the line wasn’t in use)...If we did get to go on vacation one of the biggest treats in the world was to get to stay at a motel with a swimming pool (back then those motels were more expensive and surely not a given to stay at)—

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    July 1969....it was the last summer we would spend in Norfolk before relocating to Florida after Mom remarried.

We lived right behind Janaf Shopping Center and I was at the High's Ice Cream Store (which anchored one end of the shopping center) when the event took place.

Watched on a very small black and white set the owner had attached to one corner of the ceiling.

Even though I was only 15 years old at the time, I'll never forget how surreal that moment was.

We ended up in Oak Hill, Florida just a short hop north from Cape Canaveral, where we'd go on to witness many future launches in person.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1