Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Curse of Oak Island

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by CaptUSMCNole, May 5, 2020.

1. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Had a friend recommend this show. I like the story but not happy with the History Channel’s hyping of all this possible conspiracy theories about who might have been involved. Anyone seen all of them to say whether it is worth watching all the seasons to make it worth watching to the end?

Please no spoilers. Thanks!

2. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    I quit watching after season 15 and I think by then they only found a handmade nail. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. mh2os

mh2os VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    The two brothers who are behind the search read an article in Readers Digest back in the late 50's and were inspired by its tale of booby trap tunnels and possible buried treasure that always seemed just out of reach. I watch and enjoy the show because i'm an old guy who read that same article and found it fascinating. I enjoy the show not because i think they'll find anything, but because I enjoy seeing a couple of guys living out a dream.

4. GatorRev

GatorRev Ask me about CBD Premium Member

Next comes the major dig, a hole 80 to 100' diameter by 250' deep to recover the fabled money pit.
    My guess is that there is nothing down there worth finding.
    Yes, I have seen all the episodes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I have watched all 7 seasons Captain. You pretty much address the main criticism of the show so I am not giving anything away, but yes its bitingly frustrating having to sit through too many hours of whacko vs real "Boots on the Ground / Shovels digging".

If you can deal with the whacomoles it is a fascinating story and program. The main cast of characters are entertaining in my opinion.

BTW Cap - There is a cool Reddit called "Crown Time Oak Island" -
    I'm Patch267 if u go their. There are some FASCINATING historical documents that are available on that site if you want to pursue the story.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I’ll have to check that out. Thanks!

7. kes

kes GC Legend

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    I have seen them all. They state that it is as much a hunt for info as well as a treasure hunt. I think it has grown more interesting since I no longer expect them to find gold in every episode. Yes they hype it but who doesn’t? The history/ mystery they uncover gets pretty fascinating. My 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. arminius

arminius Freshman

Mar 14, 2019
    Germania
    The "Ancient Aliens" guy opens up a donut shop on the island, serves only American coffee. The Canadians are pissed.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. oldgatorman

oldgatorman GC Legend

Oct 20, 2014
    Oak Island has faded. They started looking for treasure. Now, having found nothing, the tout is a quest to solve the "mystery." Presumably that is as important as finding treasure. It is almost a declaraton of defeat to me, a desperate attempt to continue the interest even though finding a treasure seems to be becoming more and more unlikely. The latest conversation is about digging a really big hole, really big where they will presumably find treasure. It will be very expensive, but what they have already done is almost prohibitively expensive.

As you can see I have gone from really liking that show to a casual sometimes interest.

10. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I haven't watched a History Chanel series since they took Rocket City Rednecks off the air. I loved this show.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have thought all along that the answer was to dig a REALLY big hole. It looks like that is their season 8 effort

12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I saw a few episodes and got bored to death. Never went back.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. oldgatorman

oldgatorman GC Legend

Oct 20, 2014
    Understandable.