Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Curious Case Of Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by cincinnatigator, Jan 13, 2021.

1. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    You seem to be lost.

2. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    As would many other programs

3. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

There's no point in obsessing about the past I suppose but one must admit that part of what makes coaches great is the luck factor. If Cam Newton doesn't steal a laptop do we continue our run of success in football? I don't think there's anything wrong with what White has accomplished here given the circumstances.

The End.

4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It took John Wooden 16 years as a head coach to reach a Final Four.

It took Coach K 11 seasons as a head coach to reach a Final Four.

It took Jim Calhoun 28 season to reach a Final Four.

John Chaney never made it in 24 seasons of coaching.

Mike White is in season 10 as a head coach and came really close once already.

I am not saying the Mike White is as good as these coaches that are very respected for their skills. I am just saying that expectations need to be reasonable.

BD was in only his sixth season as a head coach when he made the Final Four. It took Bob Knight eight seasons to do it. These are the two guys that did it really fast and really young. Using them as the benchmark is insane.

Programs are built or bought. In Wooden's UCLA case it was both.

• Like Like x 2
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I’m mean this as a serious question, as I’ve engaged in so many discussions that I can’t remember ...

I had you slotted in the anti-white contingent. Am I wrong?

6. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    i agree.

Coach White has his shortcomings, but I still maintain that he is the right guy for this program. He will learn and grow with the job.... and YES, Florida IS that type of job.
    And in the meantime, we are going to the tourney virtually every year... and advancing.
    I hope he turns a corner, otherwise the noise will get very loud and he will be in danger. And that would be a shame, imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    I'm not cemented on either side, that's the way it should be for every fan. He's been through so many ups and downs that I can't definitively say whether he's the guy or not and it'd be premature to make that decision. Last game for example he takes out Tre Mann with 7 minutes in the half, and I knew the second he made that choice that the wheels would fall off. His overly cautious coaching style has bit us time and time again so it's rather predictable. Had we lost I think I'd be tuned out right now, convinced that this is going nowhere. With that said, he's young and replacing a legend so I encourage our fans to give him some rope. But if he uses that rope to hang himself I really can't pretend like he's our guy just to have a positive "through all kinds of weather" fan and to not offend anyone here. Just like every profession, you either get the job done or you don't. Every season that we aren't improving the fan support, staff, or player personnel that's a bad season to me. I've been thinking that for him to stay put, he should be hitting .500 or better for good seasons considering this is not a basketball school and our fans don't deserve an elite team.
    '15-'16 sorry but NIT is a bad season considering the athletes we had
    '16-'17 great season - Mike's best to date
    '17-'18 fans skyrocketed their expectations despite us having no inside presence (which I was downvoted to eternity for) - still a solid season but has to rank as a bad season because it doesn't meet the 3 criteria listed above
    '18-'19 pretty bad season and turned a lot of fans away from the program despite making the tournament, physically dominated by Michigan to end the season
    '19-'20 lofty expectations again, another letdown as it seemed like the players weren't fitting the system
    '20-'21 despite the bad losses I think so far this is a good season. players more engaged and seem to be gritty, that'll get my support
    So with that said I think he still has a ways to go to gain my support. The key seasons are ahead. Like I said I'm not on either side of the fence and can see both sides of the argument. But you could say I'm leaning on the side of the fence that disapproves of the job he's done.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    “I don’t think there is anything wrong with what white has accomplished here given the circumstances.”

that was the line that suddenly had me thinking you were leaning to the pro-white side. I’m gonna our you squarely on the fence at this point. :)

9. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    Meaning 3 tournament appearances in a row is nice if you're playing by the rules while other programs bend them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    No, what you said about Jordan Mincy and him never swearing in high school makes no sense.

11. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    Sorry let me clarify. Him not swearing in HS was me saying he's not going to do anything against the rules, and my personal experience with him 18 years ago is my evidence. I could draw you a cartoon if that'd help you understand better.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  12. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Ok Kentucky won and we didn’t. He’s not Laettner, Hurley, or anywhere near a major needle mover.
    The whole Mincy thing being brought up. Reality is most of us probably already knew Florida’s staff played by the rules.

13. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    Right, thanks for vomiting on the thread. He's not a 90s white Duke player nor a major needle mover. He could've helped us make a deep tournament run when we were instead giving 20 minutes to Okauru.

14. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Still talking about a kid that was the 2nd leading scorer on a 4th place SEC team? That was year Cheese hit the last second shot against Wisky. I’d not trade or change a thing. I’d get it if we were talking the Player of the year or an All American but still talking about a 14 point scorer on a 4th place team.
    Could of, but didn’t come here. I’m not sore about it. Most of us moved on pretty quickly. Let me insert something about an Assistant I know that not many others do that I went to school with.
    He’s not:
    Grant Hill
    Jimmer
    Kyrie
    Curry
    Trae Young
    He’s Not even Cheese. I’ll take Cheese and his college career. If he comes here maybe ball isn’t in Cheese’s hands and it’s in Alexander’s against Wisky. Who knows if he comes through like Cheese. Only thing curious is why we are still talking about him 4 years later.

15. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Shai was from Canada. UK has a pipeline and history of working with Canadian HS players. Calipari has a proven pipeline of getting kids drafted in the first round in one and done situations. Coach White has never had a player drafted
    When Cal offered, Shai decommited. Appears to have worked out well for him.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  16. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    The kid was in the 2017 class. You’re talking like you have to trade him for Chiozza, what in the world are you rambling on about Chiozza for? It’s not a complicated subject nor should it offend anyone. It’s about a recruit we held for a year before UK took him like a hawk takes a baby bird from some other bird’s nest. The mother doesn’t go “actually I’m more than fine because my other bird went on to have a good life and memories you see, that bird wasn’t important to me anyway.“

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Not offensive. Just not a big deal. Sky is blue, water is wet, Kentucky takes a recruit, nothing to see here, move along.

18. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    You’re the only one still commenting on the thread bud.

19. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    yes - but I think its the order of operations in your second-to-last sentence that may be important.