Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The cultural phenomenon of FAKE news

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Sep 25, 2020.

1. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    They are they same. It's the same business model designed to freak people out to keep them clicking and monetize that. That's what I am talking about. People get addicted to that crap like some drama series. Wake up and get a coffee and then see how Trump has screwed up the world today. They have feed that obsession daily and that takes overstating a lot of crap because as bad as Trump is, he doesn't take it to the next level daily. Is it as bad as flat out lying? No, but the effect is similar. Both sides think the other side is the evil and wants to destroy the country. They didn't come to that conclusion themselves, they are fed that shit daily. You hear people on here repeat the same talking points almost word for word.

As far as Fox goes, I have always said they are garbage. Do a search and find any remotely positive quote from me about about them. I am waiting. Seems like you are trying to Fox News me here. For CNN they are screwing up daily and you seem to be incapable of recognizing that, but this isn't the first time we have gone down this road so no point in rearguing the point.

2. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Again, totally missed the point. Disagree with me all you want, but at least figure out what I was saying first.

3. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Not if they are turned off because one or two machines can handle the volume. They said they pulled them out just for that reason and they could better utilize the space for package sorting, where the volume is going up.

4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Except the employees have disputed that claim. I know which party I am inclined to believe.

5. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    I didn't miss the point. You got upset over that story for whatever odd reason and tried to utilize a false equivalence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Yet the management before dejoy took over came to the same conclusion. That's likely what prompted the removal. I will trust them over Cliff Claven.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Honestly? I think he’s mentally deficient.

8. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Still don't get it.

9. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    I just posted a quote from the management before Dejoy took over disputing that. You blew it off.

CNN isn't all that different from The Gateway Pundit because they allude to a conspiracy using limited evidence, whereas The Gateway Pundit just openly discusses made-up conspiracies. I get it, dude. I simply don't agree with you. And I'm one of the last people who wants to defend CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc.

10. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    It reminds me of the story about a race between the US and Russia. The US wins the race. Russia has a story in their news the next day that Russia came in second and the US came in second to last.

11. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Got to this and stopped reading:

“The theme that the USA was ill-conceived in 1776-89 and must be re-conceived has resounded from Woodrow Wilson’s Congressional Government (1885) to the campaigns of Franklin Roosevelt, John Kennedy, Barack Obama, and Joseph Biden: “listen to the scientists!” The criticism’s main point has been constant: America’s original conception validated the people’s right to live as they please, and made it hard to marshal them for Progressive purposes.”

If there is any group which believes they should be free of regulation and free to do as they damn well please, who are more a threat to Trumpers (and everybody else) than progressives ever could be, it’s the oligarchs and top 1%. They will not be sated until they control every organ of power, as in Russia, China and other totalitarian regime.

12. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I read it, and its central theme is just preposterous in my view.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Come on, this is getting a little bit ridiculous. First you accuse me of giving CNN a pass:
    I agreed with you:
    And then you claim I'm incapable of understanding:
    Then you want me to search TH to find you saying something positive about Fox. Why? Did I accuse you of praising it? Of course not.

I didn't say CNN never screws up, I didn't accuse you of praising Fox. But for some bizarre reason, you're running off on that tangent.
    Makes no sense.

14. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    OP is about Trump characterization of media's dishonesty...

Cartoon reinforces the notion that the media is dishonest...

That's the point...

15. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Actually, the OP is about Trump's dishonesty, using fake and doctored videos to misrepresent Biden. You might want to back and check.

16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    From the OP article:

"Many of the President's supporters told CNN that they felt the platforms' fact-checking processes were biased against conservative viewpoints...

...And many of the Trump supporters who spoke to CNN in Bemidji said they simply do not trust the fact-checks that are deployed by Facebook."

You might want to go back and read it...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Fox doesn't pretend to be unbiased...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I’m left of center, and I agree. My wife likes Rachel so I watch it, but I find myself saying “come on Rachel” when she’s omitting a fact or being disingenuous. There have been occasions where she’s been flat wrong. I’m dismayed that MSNBC and CNN are almost non-stop anti-Trump. My disgust with Trump is obvious from my frequent posts about him, but I like balance and fair-mindedness. CNN is not “fake news”, nor is MSNBC for that matter; neither makes stuff up or intentionally fabricates. Whether Fox does, I don’t know. I don’t watch it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    And a wrong one, which is the other point.

20. l_boy

l_boy GC Legend

Jan 6, 2009
    I've become more skeptical of MSM with all of the BLM and cop shooting stuff. It is not that I have seen any of them lying to a significant degree, it is the blatant omission of additional information that muddies the waters of the narrative, and such information is filtered out because they presumably believe it could be inflammatory and dilute the narrative of what they believe to the "correct" cause.

• Like Like x 1