Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

The Cost of Thriving

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mutz87, Feb 25, 2020.

1. flgator2

flgator2 All American

Apr 3, 2007
    What's your deductible?

2. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well I'm not 80, but I was in my early 20s once when I lived alone for about 15 years. That was from 1983 until 1998. I did everything from my checkbook. I did my own 1040EZ (is there such a thing today?) and my expenses were 7 line items - rent, electricity, car insurance, gas, telephone, cable and food. No health premiums because I was immune to everything back then and never knew a doctor until 32 years old. Those days are long gone. I can't give you an exact list of expenses, just how much we pay. To make things easier, my wife has a personal credit card and I have one. It's for basic every day expenses like lunch, the morning coffee, etc. so that 2 line items show up on the checking account, not 100+. But there are autopays, all bills are on autopay except for AMEX. There are 21 bills on autopay, from the usual suspects like power and gas to game subs. Even have an auto draft for the HVAC we had put in a few years ago. Like others have said, we are more consumers today than our parents were - it's not even up for debate. If I were to close everything off and live like my parents, I'd have 5 figures of cash sitting around every year.

3. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Part of this is surely wage stagnation but how much of this is due to overconsumption? My wife and I make less than 60k per year but we are comfortable, paying extra on our 15 year mortgage, and saving 15% for retirement and another 2000 a year in a 529.
    We also both own 10 year old cars and don’t own a credit card. We pay cash and budget down to the penny - and follow the budget.

Again I ask what percentage is due to stagnated wages and what percentage is due to overwhelming consumption?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. studegator

studegator Senior

Feb 24, 2008
    I think we over emphasize the negative effects of technology on our living costs. The internet has made my business much easier as communication and locating parts are so much quicker and easier then writing letters and using ma bell.
    It probably would not harm us at all to go back to black and white tv's and where the telecasts shut down at 12:00pm and start back up at 6:00am.

• Like Like x 1
  5. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    Yes and look at how the cost of a tv has increased while the quality has plummeted.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gaterzfan

gaterzfan Senior

Feb 6, 2020
    I guess it depends on the length of the look back period. In 1978, I purchased a used 1977 2080Z for $7500. Looking a used 2019 370Z coupe NADA is approx. $27.6K which is an annual increase of about 3.15% which is a little lower than the 3.3% inflation rate I found for the same time period. Considering improvements in the technology and quality over the last 42 years I think the 2019 is a deal. However, I'm not buying a 370Z but would consider a Cayman S :).

• Like Like x 1
  7. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    Oh yes and clothing is so much more expensive now. I used to pay 30 bucks every time a pair of Levi's could be found in the early 80s. Now I have to look hard to find a pair over 20 bucks.