Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Coming Transformation of the NCAA

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thatguy, May 8, 2022.

1. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Most states in the country are "right to work" states. What does that mean? Well, it means you can quite anytime and you can be fired anytime. Employment law is deeply complex but one thing is generally true - you cannot be forced to work AND you are free to use your talents with other employers if you leave. Sports leagues, especially the NFL, have enjoyed antitrust exemptions that have enabled them to control their labor pool. This is balanced by the players strong union.

I agree with you that mechanisms need to be put into place that limit the chaos of transfers/payments, etc among players. AND that will need to be balanced with appropriate rights for the employees (players), be it direct payments, insurance, guaranteed scholarships (currently all scholarships are year to year), etc. This is a multivariate problem that is not solved with a singular solution (NCAA has tried that for the last decade with the "you play ball and we make money" thesis which has led us to this chaos).

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. ozgatorfan

ozgatorfan Senior

Apr 12, 2007
    Baseballs setup seems the most reasonable situation. I love college baseball. Not an easy transformation.

Some real academic requirement would be expected from a true Top5 University.

3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Baseball is all good. Go pro if your a top pick or get an education if the classroom is better odds for a kid. They have options and it’s not like college baseball is a huge money making sport anyway. Baseball kids are getting a good deal either way they go.

4. thatguy

thatguy Moderator

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. michellejames73

michellejames73 Recruit

Jun 23, 2022
    recruiting is definitely about money. All this thing is about money

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 GC Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    Plenty of people either already see the reality, or don't much care about that reality. For many it is a social ritual tied back to whatever the reality was when they attended. They go for the spectacle, pageantry, tailgaiting, catching up with old friends, joy of walking down memory lane, etc.

That the 'contest' is not all that different from going to see the Harlem Globetrotters crush the Washington Generals doesn't really bother them in the least.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    The more this changes the less interested I am, unfortunately. I love Gator football, but CFB is evolving into Minor League Football, and I don't like it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Well at least until you decide to be a big fan of the Generals! :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe the SEC should sign short TV deals instead of getting bogged down into long term contracts with ESPN?

I think that makes it less likely that the SEC capitulates to the dictates of scheduling the way ESPN wants it to be and more like what the SEC wants the scheduling to be...

I'm sick and tired of ESPN's sports model/presentation, and how they treat college football as their own personal ad time sounding board for 'upcoming events all the way to their politics in sports...

They keep crap sports on even after their game is over and done for, and it makes it impossible to record the games because they are stuck on bad overtime games.

They like to dictate times and feature match-ups for their liking to the point that they have favorite teams. They look like pimps trying to get their favorite SEC teams extra attention for their own reasons. They freaking play favorites and they most definitely hate the Gators...

I hope Texas and Oklahoma have a change of heart and stay in the big-12... I'd rather we go after North Carolina and Virginia or VT personally. And those freaking PODS must die on the vine... I know that's ESPN's doing... that's another thing I don't like about them and the prospect of long term contracts with them.

In the end I think short term TV contracts is the right approach. I'd like 4 or 5 year deals at most. But I would love 1 or 2 year deals more.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 GC Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    They sign long deals because that is where the money is. Valuable business partnerships are built over time. A broadcaster buying short term just isn't going to pay top dollar to develop/promote an entertainment product that they might lose to someone else before they ever see any real payoff.

We true SEC fanatics tend take massive audience interest for granted, and that is a categorical error. The decision makers at ESPN and elsewhere operate under no such illusions.

(Which is not to say that they don't have their own set of illusions, just that theirs are generally not ours.)

11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That is what the TV networks want us to believe... I'll bet other networks would entertain shorter contracts with real money.

There are several reasons why long contracts suck is. One is the Network basically owns your schedule and the times and places in which you can and cannot play. They also, end up lagging behind on the actual worth of the product The SEC vies them, just look at that last CBS deal... pathetic. A shorter contract can fix many of the bad unforeseen disadvantages that the SEC as a conference might have with a network like ESPN.

In the end they would be too much in our conference's business for the SEC to truly be an independent money making entity.