Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The case for Mike White

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jan 9, 2021.

1. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Don't disagree with that as Donovan wasn't proven either. I also don't think the college basketball world is littered with proven coaches. I mean in the last 10 to 20 years or so how many shakeups have the top programs really had anyway? KU and UNC off the top of my head. Interesting to think about really. Who exactly woukd be considered top proven coaching candidates for Duke, UNC, Kansas etc.

2. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    I agree with this, it's not like we'd be able to hire Mark Few or anything like some thought we could after Donovan left. My early vote goes to Mike Miller. He's currently a HC for a high school in Germantown TN - traditionally a horrible basketball program in the area but he's made them a really good team. The excitement would be back for alumni everywhere. He's got connections and I believe he'd hire a great staff - maybe even someone like J-Will which would be straight dynamite, go ahead and give us top 5 classes on a yearly basis at that point. He connects with recruits. Not many guys can say they played with Lebron James. And he's got swagger.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There is not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that Florida can pull a proven coach from a major program. However, the coach is going to have to be someone who will be enticed by a substantial raise. The Big East coaches are notoriously underpaid. Doug McDermott from Creighton is a really good coach, and he makes less than $1,400,000 a year. Kevin Willard, at Seton Hall, is exceptional. I don’t know how much he is being paid, but it’s likely in the range of what Doug McDermott is paid. The Rutgers coach, Steve Pikiel, is an excellent coach and makes $1,600,000 per year. My guess is Florida could get any of those 3 coaches. Outside of the major college area, I would take Anthony Grant, and I would consider Kevin Boyle from Montverde who is a tremendous coach and recruiter. I also would consider Udonis, who, for all practical purposes, is an assistant coach for the Miami Heat.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miller quit collegiate coaching after 1 season. For that reason, and a few others I will keep to myself . . . he would be a hard pass for me.

5. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    I think the winning route is to go for a guy who can be an adrenaline shot to the program. Look at what Memphis did when they hired Penny Hardaway. Very little coaching experience, but he instantly made Memphis a powerhouse, and had they been able to keep Wiseman on that team along with the season resuming you're talking serious NC contenders. I really don't want just another guy who happens to be doing well in some mid-major conference. We did that already, it's time to swing for the fences.

6. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    Yea but throw him a few million a year and see what happens. He understandably wants to coach his son til he graduates, understandable reason. By the time his son is graduated you think Mike's just content on retirement?

7. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I disagree. Willard, for example, makes a bit over $2,000,000 now. But a couple years ago he was the top target for Va-tech and a big raise. He pulled his name from consideration quite quickly. Similarly, Mcdermott turned down Ohio State and that salary boost.
    I love AG as a person and assistant, but did he catch lightening in a bottle with Toppin? So far this season he has lost Lasalle, SMU and Fordham.

8. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    He is pursuing his agent business.

9. tundragator

tundragator All American

Oct 26, 2015
    As it relates to Gator basketball...I chose to change outlets and switches on my 1st floor rather than watching the game.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    Assumptions aren't gonna cut it in this business. Our good for nothing AD needs to be making phone calls to recruit him or Udonis or J-Will.

11. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    A powerhouse? He finished 5th in the AAC his first two years, and currently has a 6-4 record. His reputation within the coaching community couldnt be much worse. That is a horrific example.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    Horrific? Interesting choice of words. No, Mike White is horrific. Penny had just about everything going for him up until Wiseman was ruled ineligible. Everyone knew Memphis was a threat to dominate up to that point.
    You want another example I'll go with Michigan hiring Juwan Howard. And now they're killing it. Is that a better example for you Mr. Mike White fanboy?

13. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Big name, little substance hires sound great . . . but often flop. The list includes Avery Johnson, Ewing, Danny Manning, Chris Mullin, Mark Price, Isiah Thomas, Dunleavy and others.
    I think I will disengage from the Mike White replacement discussion . . . but this is a bad idea.

14. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    LOL! I really touched a nerve there.

Howard is a better example, yes. But "NOW they are killing it"? I think Beilein did ok, too. LOL!

But big name, little substance hires sound great . . . but often flop. The list includes Avery Johnson, Ewing, Danny Manning, Chris Mullin, Mark Price, Isiah Thomas, Dunleavy and others.
    I think I will disengage from the Mike White replacement discussion . . . but this is a bad idea.

15. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    You haven't touched a nerve I'm just messing with you. Ok, those guys you listed are all really old dudes whose swag ended before any 18 year old was alive. Mike was hitting 3s at will 8 years ago. You can't possibly compare those old farts to a Mike Miller.

16. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    Personally, I think Mike, due to his young age, isn't properly able to motivate his players to their full potential.

Too young, too much of a players coach because of it.

On top, he prefers a guard oriented team at the expense of the front court, and has never been able to put all the pieces together, even when he's had some decent front court pieces (see last year).

Have no idea who we can realistically hire, but 6 years in, I don't think he's showing anything this year that tells me anything is going to change.

Of course we have no idea what would have happened had KJ not been hurt.

17. mkfgator

mkfgator All American

Aug 28, 2019
    I’d rather focus on fixes. Firing a coach is the first thing everyone thinks about immediately after a bad loss. That’s why I always wait a day before I send an angry letter, which I hardly ever send at all after I cool down. I have consistently seen bigger guards and forwards take the ball off the dribble and drive straight to the hole. Mike’s teams have not been tough or physical. We haven’t recruited those types of players. We lack in tough big men , and depth, who punish people when they try to do that. Billy had those problems for a while too until he hired Larry Shyatt. We need players who are tough and assistant coaches who coach big tough men , not boys. If that doesn’t work, maybe time to find a HC who can make that happen.

18. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I respectfully disagree with this take, and as evidence that you can build it first (before they come), look at baseball (if you want to stay with basketball, look at what SWAC has done). Investment in a sport's success need not be dependent on the level of fan participation (even if only in terms of ticket sales). That is probably one of the biggest misconceptions that gets thrown around on our sports boards. I'd throw that one in there with the myth of the "bad loss" in terms of NCAA tournament resume damage. Coaches don't care how full the stadiums are unless it impacts (1) their salary and/or (2) their recruiting. Good coaches will never let physical fan support be an excuse for either. Besides, if the basketball program wants better fan support, there is so much more they can do to make it happen, but they have to express a genuine interest in wanting to do so.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I certainly wouldn't argue that, but think you are expressing this backwards. Fan support isn't good because he isn't a good coach. I don't know to what extent that is true and wouldn't make any such absolute claim. I'd agree that FL is a football school and that as such, fan support for basketball is mediocre. I think, though, that with a winner and an eradicated pandemic, we could have better support.

20. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I'm holding out hope that the last two games are not indicative of what the rest of the season holds in store. Winning solves all problems and I'm not just talking about a win here and there. We need to have a strong showing for the remainder of the regular season and know early on we'll make the tourney.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1