Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The call and the Birmingham SEC replay crew

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Zepgator, Nov 3, 2019.

1. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Not since Jimmy Harper retired.

2. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    True.

3. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Add that call to the unbelievable overturn of Perine's first down, and it gets to smelling a little fishy. Granted, a great team overcomes the Perine travesty, but still, it happened, and it keeps happening, and I'm sick of it. Whether is "cost us the game" is only tangentially relevant. It still stinks.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Who is blaming the refs?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ColoradoNoVaGator

ColoradoNoVaGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    it's pathetic that they even called that a catch in real time

and then to F up on replay? Inexplicable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Since Steve Shaw an Alabama grad has taken over as head of SEC officials has there ever been a controversial call by an official to cost Bama a game? I believe every other SEC team can say they have had calls that have been egregious. I would dare say in the game the field goal came up short against AU and they returned for a TD the officials actually tried to help Bama by putting a second back on the clock so they could try a game winning field goal. Something has to be done...there is no logical explanation to have a Bama grad in charge of all SEC officials and game assignments...it reeks of bias.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Unfortunately, it’s not poor officiating, it’s strategic league influence to maximize payouts.

Having been so used to SEC refs, I was shocked watching Big XII refs call a fair game during OU-KSU.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. unclerob

unclerob Freshman

Aug 14, 2015
    Watching the Perine replay, Ithink the ball was probably short of the line. There was no indisputable evidence because you cannot see the ball when his knee touched. They should not have over ruled the play as called.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    Regardless of the outcome of this game, the refs played an equal amount if.not greater in our favor against sc. It goes all ways is all I'm saying

• Disagree Disagree x 7
  10. GaGator1

GaGator1 Junior

Dec 6, 2015
    Kirby Smart was the reason for the review, he protested the spot of the ball and the referee on his side of the field ran onto the field waving his arms. In the past it would have been Vince Dooley and his goons in the SEC offices. Georgia has gotten calls like this since 1978 and it will ever stop. It's really tough to beat two teams especially when one of them is hidden away in the SEC replay office in Birmingham. I have watched Florida football since 1978 and it's always the same, Georgia, Alabama are the so called premiere teams and the SEC wants to protect it's playoff spots. You have to work around it and play through it. Understand from 2 years ago when ugag got Kirby he came from Alabama and was instantly inaugurated as the heir apparent to Nick when he retires. Nothing will ever change that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    It really doesn’t.
    It’s already been explained. Judgement calls will be missed. Refs favored usc blatantly 1st half, we got calls 2nd half. Just bad officiating but refs aren’t perfect. And it evened out.
    Replay reviews should be perfect. It’s slowed down they have time. Yet still blew the catch call vs u ga

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    So I'm lost as to what we're even arguing about. The refs suck? Yeah, agree. But don't act like it's just us

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I knew right then and there that the SEC officials wanted UGA to win this game... It was that obvious that it was not a catch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

So what are you saying exactly? You're playing both sides against each other.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sure....on the winning team's side.;)

16. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    We have to blame refs or the announcers.. Sometimes you have to tip ur hat to the other guy and move forward

17. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

The game thread here resounded with the exect same sentiment.

18. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

It might have mattered considerably....
    If they call it incomplete..then it's 4th down for the Dawgs.....
    Instead, by ruling it complete, it now only advanced the ball, but also gave the Dawgs the fresh set of downs, which resulted in Georgia scoring 7, instead of a long FG attempt.....

Plus...my good friend Mr. Meantom, ( his first name is Moe) ..said that that put him on the Georgia sideline.. <if you know what I mean>

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Was that in the first half? I wonder bc if so would us having only 1 remaining timeout at that time persuaded his decision to challenge? Had he challenged and them not side with us(which seemed to be the theme) would have been docked another TO

20. urbangirl

urbangirl VIP Member

Oct 15, 2007
    No, b/c we win despite them!