Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Best School for a Student to Attend

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by themistocles, Feb 9, 2018.

1. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    A few things really matter here:
    1 - They must admit you (sine qua non)
    2 - The student must feel comfortable in the School's environment.
    3 - The student's major of interest must be open for entry and fit the student's needs.

Pretty much everything else is either icing on the cake, or mustard staining your clothes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You ALMOST did it! Just one stray capital letter!

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    2- A one day visit is never enough to know if you're comfortable.

3- That always changes.

Went through this with two kids and visits to campuses all over the country. Back to the first one, you don't know who is going to admit you unless you have a 4.8+ and a 1550/35 or higher on your test scores. Hopefully you have access to Naviance or some similar web portal where you can see where kids' from the local high schools were accepted and what grades and scores they had. You'll find out more from the school's websites and from high school counselor's scores on USNews than from their visits.

4. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Good point Strange, and that's always a very strange thing, who will admit you. As an example, I cite my youngest son, who, like all youngest children, is almost always the smartest due to learning a lot from their elder siblings. Unfortunately, he's a horrible test taker, and his best score was an 880 on the SAT, so USF (which would have saved me tons of money), turned him down immediately, as did UCF, but Florida didn't turn him down until their last cut (because he's Native American, but did well in AP classes), and so, he ended up at UNF, which accepted him as did a couple of Private schools (Luther and Flagler), but for some reason, he wanted to attend an SUS school rather than a private College, perhaps because both his mom and I strongly recommended the small liberal arts colleges, which his brother wisely choose. The Liberal Arts schools are really interested in each student's graduation and due to their small size are far more aware of and sensitive to the specific student's needs that large schools. UNF was small, fortuanately because like many brilliant boys they both had a first term GPA of 0.42, and both graduated as star students because the first term tells a school little about the student's ultimate success due to the massive difference from a typical high school.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ArtDeco

ArtDeco GC Hall of Fame

Sep 26, 2011
    Detroit Rock City
    Not sure why this thread is here, but maybe a good time to find out UF admission policies. Does UF have a rolling admission, or do they send out all acceptance letters on one particular date? Do the 35 ACTs get accepted three weeks after submitting their application? Inquiring minds want to know.

6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I believe last Friday was date for UF admission announcements

7. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    UF does not have early decision or any other "rolling admissions. When my kids were seniors, UF's deadline was Dec. 31st, though neither applied. With the exception of athletes, I don't believe anyone gets accepted until April.

8. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    How about a school open to all ideas? Profs that are not all ultra liberal that try to brainwash.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Yea, like Liberty or Oral Roberts

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Two ways to take this

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Heavens to Mergatroid...

12. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    Duh, they are private and they are up front with their beliefs - UF is public - I don't want to hear it unless I'm free to express my differences. - You know, the reason you go to college.

13. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    ^^Great, more of this political crap on the football boards. Some people just can't resist.

For the record, I have 2 finance degrees from UF and don't recall a liberal Prof trying to brain wash anybody, much less a so called "ultraliberal", whatever the hell that is. In fact I'd say just the opposite.

Guess Milton Friedman was one of those ultra liberals that some keep referencing.:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Of course you don’t recall a liberal prof trying to brainwash anybody - that’s the whole point. Duh

Now you’re not actually trying to deny that the entire education system from grade school through public universities isn’t overwhelmingly dominated by liberals, are you? With a straight face?

• Like Like x 1
  15. T3goalie

T3goalie Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Best school for student depends on the student... Questions need to be answered....

Do they have the student's major field of study?

Do they have job placement in such field of study?

Is the student comfortable with the size and culture of the Univ?

Is the student eligible for scholarship?
    Can his/her parents afford to pay?
    Can student avoid the debt burden of loans? What would be an acceptable debt burden? Have student and parents run an amortization schedule to understand impact of debt?

Does the student carry dual enrollment, AP or IB credit ?

Can student go to local community college to receive general credits at cheap price?

My experience, watching kids pick a college, is that not enough thought is given to the big picture on the front end. It is more than a sweat shirt and more than mom or dad's school. It blows my mind how kids and parents indenture themselves for tens of thousands of $ with the same amount of thought (little) as picking out a puppy.

A few ago my daughter's friend, a top flight HS IB student, wanted to go to UVA. She loved the "idea" of going to UVA. I asked to pull out her phone and run an amortization schedule on $200k. Her response was telling. She said, " how am I going to eat?" She decided to go to UF and her parents sent me a note last spring that my daughter's friend just passed the CPA exam. Bright Future's scholarships, in state tuition, Parent's contribution and part time work allowed her to graduate debt free. Btw, I receive a beautiful Christmas basket from her parents every year. The moral of the story is that University is to benefit the college student's future, Not to create an Indentured Servant to student loans!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Solid points. But a lot of thought should also go into picking out a puppy. There is nothing trivial about the short term and long term impacts of that decision on the people and the little animal who is totally at the mercy of the person/family that adopts him/her.

Just sayin, I like your post but not your analogy

17. T3goalie

T3goalie Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I concede that puppy decisions are important and should be more than " he is cute and fluffy." I shared your point of view with my German Sheperd and Labradoodle and they both concur. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Thanks man. I love dogs

19. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    T3goalie: I just sent your post to my son. We are having this identical discussion. UF was his #1 choice until he spent the summer at Michigan for a camp-college class. He applied and ended up getting admitted early acceptance to Michigan, much to our surprise and bluntly, pride. We were very nervous about him getting into UF, because UF is insanely competitive. Fortunately, he got into UF. But once the celebration wind down, he was had a sad look, and ultimately “confessed” that he really wanted to go to Michigan. We had a long talk, which included a lengthy discussion of 65,000 vs not much due to Florida prepaid and Bright Future money. He couldn’t understand how so many people were able to go out of State or to private schools. I explained that most of them took on loans. It finally hit home that when he finished school (before even thinking of graduate school), he would owe the equivalent of a new home, if we went to Michigan, or nothing if he went to Florida.

He’s going to UF.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. T3goalie

T3goalie Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Congrats on UF!
    Your son understands now. He gets it . However , he will truly appreciate this decision when he sees the "end of the story" in a few years when he is "debt free" and his buddies are buried alive under student debt.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1