Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The battle for new college

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by slayerxing, Jan 12, 2023.

1. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    lol dude you have no clue the blood sweat and tears I have given to this university and it’s students. Just because I happen to know more about this one thing than you doesn’t make me blind nor a bane to the university. Get a grip. You’re being ridiculous.

2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    When I said "those departments" I obviously meant departments specifically focused around a specific race or gender for example, not all university departments.

3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Try explaining your point like we’re all 5, because it was YOU who randomly brought up women vs. men.

Was your point that women historically have also been “lesser citizens” in many cultures, and they too should have just accepted the status quo here or stop striving for equality at some magical cutoff point after women’s suffrage? Because if so, that would also be a rather shitty point. Women should continue to seek their full rights and full equality just like any other currently or previously disenfranchised group should seek full legal equality, whether a particular argument they make has merit is really up to the particulars of what their grievance is (women’s issues are different from racial issues - mostly centered on gender pay inequality, sexual harassment, maternity leave, access to reproductive healthcare, etc). Totally different set of arguments, and in relation to this thread colleges probably don’t need to do much “diversity outreach” toward women as in many cases enrollment already exceeds 50%. I’d say some programs are probably still inclined to attract mostly men (building construction, ag, engineering) and others mostly women (nursing, education), so I would not be opposed to efforts within programs to recruit more diversity on that basis. I see no harm in such efforts, although I also don’t see it as high priority considering the big picture of “college access” is already generally fair to women.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    How could I not have a clue. You keep reminding us all how much you know.
    We’re all very proud to know you.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I don't think a poster who has exclusively contributed insults in the last three pages of a thread is in a position to call anybody a troll, but hey maybe that's just me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Yeah, personally I don't even know why the thread was started. It certainly wasn't to start a conversation. It looks like it was just for Slayer to "educate" all of us because he apparently is always right about all issues relating to higher education because he's been in higher education for decades. And we're just supposed to take him at his word.

Hell, Slayer should just be President of UF with how much of an authority he is on higher education.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    why are you so upset that I happen to be an expert in this one area? It doesn’t mean I know all the answers but I do know a lot - about this one thing. I’m sorry it’s so upsetting. When you stop being hysterical let’s try an exercise — what is your profession and how long you been doing it?

8. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    In my brief experience in higher education, most professors told me that one could learn something from anyone.
    Guess they were wrong.

9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I think a 5-year-old is capable of understanding my point.

10. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    I’m not upset. But it seems you feel threatened. It was never my intent to upset you. My sincere apologies.
    The point is, and it’s a rudimentary one, that while you do know more than I regarding this subject, you lose credibility when you pound your chest.
    Perhaps you know this too?

11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Well when your entire argument is appeal to authority or expertise, you're not really making a good effort to convince people. You're just telling people something and expecting them to trust you without even considering the possibility that you may be wrong.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    omg such a whiny response my god. I do not know everything about higher Ed nor do I know all the answers to everything. But I do know , in this specific instance, that many of your perceptions of higher Ed are based on incomplete info and I’ve tried to discuss some of that with you. And now I’m being, what, vilified because I dared to say I have expertise in this area? Jeez lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yet you refuse to explain for us slow learners.

15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    No, you're being criticized because you're using your expertise to basically shut down the discussion.

You're basically saying "I'm right, you're wrong because I've been in higher education for 20 years." That's not an argument, that's an appeal to authority.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    What can I say, you're making my job awfully difficult.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Horse shit I’ve used several links and made several arguments that were not just an appeal to experience. When are you guys gonna step back and consider that it’s you who may in fact be wrong?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Two Princess Bride memes in one thread. FTW!

20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Correct, you have. But when you're backed into a corner you appeal to authority, which again is not an argument. It might be a way of bolstering your credibility but it's not an argument. Just because a ph.D. says 2 + 2 = 5 does not make it so.

• Agree Agree x 1