Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Back Nine: UF football still work in progress (Dooley)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, May 14, 2019.

1. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan Sophomore

Mar 17, 2019
    Years ago when I used to live in Jax, Dooley will get on the local radio station and talked about the Gators. He tried so hard not to be accused of being a Gator homer. He wanted people to see him as an objective sports writer. So, in doing that, he tends to be a little bias against UF and gators fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    I listen to SEC radio on XM most mornings on my way to work. They have local writers on as guests off & on, who gush and speak in positive tones about the team they cover ...then there’s Dooley...

“we are strong at the receiver positions, BUT ...”
    “Franks has matured as a QB, BUT...”
    “The team really seems to have the right mindset this offseason, BUT...”

He can’t pay the program a straight up compliment without adding an amendment to it. It’s annoying as all hell.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I wish the local sports media had access to coaches and at particular times to designated players, I don't want homers filtering the news to fans, if you read the newspapers around the SEC you can find several good journalists and others that are mediocre, where UF really shines is the inhouse writers particularly Chris Harry & Scott Carter, I read nearly every SEC school's site at least a couple of times a week, the homerism is rampant on most of the sites, for sports news the Tennessean and the Times Picayune are consistently fair, the State and Courier Times are better than the AJC, the ones I read the most are the columnists, they usually have an angle and or insight that a solid reporter won't put in a story, the best just report.

Without access the stories will be hard to write and the guys and gals who write them are hard pressed to deliver hard news let alone scoops.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Tell that to UGA. No national championships so far for UGA during the period of time where UF has won 3 national championships.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The saying in negotiating is what the person really means follows the word "but".

6. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Agreed, but my point is...who knows who is really a Gator fan and who is not. Just like a message board.

7. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I have no problem if Dooley calls out posters like Orange blue coop who may or may not be Gators.

8. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Of course not...but he just lumps us all together in a usual lazy blanket statement. At least here, it can become somewhat obvious who are the Gator fans and who are just pretending.

9. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with you if is lumping me and you with them. He may be referring to a vocal minority that is never happy.