Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Athletic: Jaden Rashada’s Unprecedented Recruitment -- Going From $13.85 million To No NIL Deal

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by ETGator, Feb 6, 2023.

1. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    I really hesitated . . . but The Athletic has published an extensive and definitive story on the Rashada recruitment.

For those with a subscription, it can be found at:

From $13.8M in NIL money to none: A 4-star QB's unprecedented recruitment

Four noteworthy paragraphs:

That $13.85 million figure exceeded the hgihest known number for a college player and is barely less than Pittsburgh Steelers first-round quarterback Kenny Pickett’s rookie contract ($14.1 million over four years).

Then, in mid-January, Rashada did not enroll at Florida as expected. The [NIL opportunity company] had reneged on its deal in early December, two days after the initial payment was due, and on Jan. 17 the quarterback was granted a release from his letter of intent. Rashada, once seemingly poised to benefit greatly from a perceived bidding war between Miami and Florida boosters, was suddenly without a school and without NIL dollars.

Rashada once had a top-30 rating in the 247Sports Composite, but by the end of the 2023 recruiting cycle he’d fallen to 82nd nationally. Multiple college coaches told The Athletic that while they think he has a good arm and talent, they didn’t view him in the same light that the online recruiting sites rated him and were baffled by the reports of the massive NIL deals he was offered.

Coaches from multiple schools described a pattern: During the visit, Harlen [Rashada's father] would inquire about potential NIL income. Afterward, Caspino [Rashada's attorney/agent], who represents dozens of prospects and college athletes, would contact the collective seeking a multimillion-dollar deal. Two coaches, who like others in this story were granted anonymity so they could speak freely about Rashada’s situation, told The Athletic they pulled Rashada’s scholarship offer due to the feeling they were in a bidding war.

I saw nothing new but I've known about a lot of this for awhile. Some may not have. It confirms publicly that Rashada was offered $13.85 Million and he flipped. It confirms he didn't receive his payment and he didn't enroll.

Although not in the article, I understand someone else flipped in a different way when he was told the amount.

I'm posting for information purposes since it closes the book on Rashada.

Everyone please remember new Rule O will be strictly enforced in all threads.

If you can't read the article, just send me a PM.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    In which of the 5 sticky rules threads is rule 0?

Was our coach one of the coaches who pulled a scholarship offer because he didn't want to be in a bidding war?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ETGator

Sep 15, 2007
    Stuck to the top in the forums for anyone who can't find it:

Rules Update | Swamp Gas Forums

4. QuietGator

QuietGator Freshman

Oct 8, 2011
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    I almost don’t have words for this absurdity.

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. AlumofUF

AlumofUF Senior

Feb 1, 2012
    I honestly still don't believe those numbers, just because some site posted it. It just seems so far fetched.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Sad situation all around. I wish the laws/rules can change where the market can dictate how much he makes openly. Plenty of situations in the pros where players chase the money and end up in a bad situation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    You would think no because JR did sign an NLI on ESD and was expected to enroll.

9. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Maybe, maybe not. If you had a booster that was irked by Ruiz’s success and there was a back and forth bidding war you never know. There are some pretty big ego’s in the booster world. I don’t get the impression Rashada’s handlers helped the situation

• Like Like x 1
  10. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Isn’t Caspino the pond scum agent who was running his mouth about UF back in Nov-Dec?? Also remember, it was the Rashada’s who said committing to Ruiz U had nothing to do with $$$, it’s where he really wanted to play at. Then he turns around and flips/signs with UF, solely because he got a much higher completely ridiculous offer, and again said it was where he really wanted to play at. It was ALL about the $$$$$$, and in the end he got bupkis, how ironic..

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    He’s at his dream school now.

• Funny x 12
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm sorry I keep asking this question, but I am confused about this point.

In reference to above, according to the original contract Rashada was to have received a payment in DECEMBER. How is that NOT an NCAA violation? He would not have been an enrolled student at that point. It IS an enticement/inducement. We all know that is happening. But doesn't that remain a flagrant violation of policy? I realize it isn't the school providing the money, but it certainly is boosters. NIL doesn't change that.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Seemed he had a lot of "dream " schools..the u, then UF, now Arizona lol

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. red4512

red4512 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 4, 2010
    The father played every school for bling.
    The 'athlete' played show me the money.
    Sadly, UF bought into the cluster......

See ya, wouldnt want to be ya.

NEXT!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. ETGator

Sep 15, 2007
    They are crazy numbers but it also says in the article, "The contract, which was obtained by The Athletic . . . " So they have it and have read it.

Good questions. It could have been "legally" structured in several ways. The easiest was base the contract in California, which allows NIL for high school athletes. Next, he was required to be living in Gainesville (they're always very careful not to mention a school but require residence in the cities in which the school is located) and he had his belongings shipped to Gainesville. It seems everything was "legal" and also that NIL was the driving force behind the Rashadas' decisions . . . at least the father's.

I feel terrible for the kid.

Others please weigh-in if I'm missing anything.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for clarifying. I didn't realize the states could trump the NCAA rule about receiving $$ before enrolled. That's sneaky, if true.

And I think it is safe to say at this point that the ACTUAL amount was $13.85MM. I understand that nobody WANTS to believe our collective offered that much. I was initially very dismissive of the notion - its ridiculous. But too many people have reported it, including now two reputable sports sources (Andy Staples) that have claimed to actually seeing the contract. He was actually offered almost $14MM to come to FL and compete to MAYBE win a starting QB job. That's stupidity and sickening, and I for one am very happy it unraveled.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd also like to see the Universities get some protection from these lawyers... err... agents. Make it so that if the "agent" shops a kid to another school after one or more years, that his legal representation of said kid is therefore nullified and he's free to hire another agent. That could ties lawyers... err... agents to schools more closely, and prevent them from being freelance agents willing to sell their clients to the highest paying NIL/school bidder..

18. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Just another example of the bizarro world I find myself in. It’s truly stunning how crazy things are.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. AlumofUF

AlumofUF Senior

Feb 1, 2012
    I mean, they may have a contract, but we can't know it was "the" contract, if there even was one. They didn't show any pictures of it with signatures or anything did they?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2016
    “Going from $13.85 million To No NIL Deal”

Music to my ears.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1