Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

"The 5th Quarter": Florida vs AU post game discussion

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatornana, Oct 5, 2019.

1. strulock

strulock All American

Sep 2, 2017
    I have yet to watch the game. Had to settle for highlights on YouTube this morning. Aside from the 4 turnovers, it appears that we did everything we wanted to against Auburn. Right or wrong?
    If right, then I'm feeling pretty good about taking down LSU and the butt sniffers.
    Did Peirce get in much other than the play where he coughed it up?

2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

What in hell is it with SEC refs and our team?

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I'm still ticked off after that targeting on Pierce they never callef that sent him to the lockercroom for observation. If UF had done that, or anything even close, we'd have a starter suspended for the first half next week

AU and Bama are the darlings of the SEC officials.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa

• Like Like x 5
  5. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't. Thought that was stupid. His knee isn't just a tweak, it's a sprained MCL that with just one tiny hit turns into a blown knee and season over. Same thing on his runs. Hand off to someone else or bring in EJ. Use Trask to just pocket pass and leave the running to the runners.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Nah, that was the last thing on his mind. He was trying to beat Awbrin.

7. 352Fella

352Fella All American

Jan 30, 2008
    Westside
    Dat balance, tho.

Half time (4th Q) adjustments, tho.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    so you're saying that there is no rule against pulling opposing players off of a pile? If so, you're wrong

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I was at the game with my daughter and it was wild. We were on the 20 yard line in row 16 and had a great view of Perine's 88 yd. run. The stadium was packed all the way to the top and the noise was deafening. This was my 1st trip to the Swamp in almost 50 years and I will never forget it. We met Kadarius before the game and my daughter forgot to take a picture. After the game we came around the corner of the stadium and there was Kadarius again with his family and this time I got a picture-he is a very nice young man. I know those that were at the game will attest that the crowd inside and outside of the stadium was amazing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Go
    go braves

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Now that’s funny

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. GatorLuke

GatorLuke Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I understand the rule, It’s just that’s one where a warning is justified similar to 2 players pushing and shoving after a play or players getting warned about celebrating after a big play. Ref can throw the flag in both those scenarios but usually gives a warning. Should have warned him. If the ref told him to stop and he continued, then yes throw the flag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. unclerob

unclerob Freshman

Aug 14, 2015
    Swain was not covered by a Linebacker all night. That may have been their assignment, but it didn't happen.

15. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    If you still don't believe in Mullen and staff - and these kids - by now, you need help. I took a break from here all week because I was tired of all the doubters.

Dan the Man is legit, getting it done in only 1.5 seasons after the worst Gator season and team (2017) in 30 years. Mullen and Stricklin are still in rebuild mode (program, talent, facilities) compared to UGA, LSU, and BAMA yet Mullen has been kicking arse and taking names since he got here. Going back to the South Carolina win (11/10/18), UF has one of the most impressive winning streaks in the SEC and FBS .

Since he's been HC at UF (2018), Mullen has set records for wins over Top 10 teams and consecutive wins. Same goes for setting records for offensive production and QB play (records that had not been touched since he left in 2009). And he's just getting started.

A few of us called yesterday's victory in multiple posts here long before we ever played the game. I've also been saying the same about LSU. Vandy was 0-3 (the last time they started 0-3 was 2006) when they played LSU, and they scored 38 points (374 yds offense) on LSU's pitiful defense. They had one INT on Burrow. Vandy has scored more than 30 points on UF only one time since 1945.

With the exception of Texas (500+ yds offense and 38 points versus LSU), LSU has not played a single decent team all season. And Texas and the Lack12 have never been known for playing SEC quality defense (I'm not talking BAMA or UF quality, more like South Carolina or MSU). This season LSU has beaten Ga Southern (2-3), Northwestern State (0-5), Texas (4-1), Vandy (1-4), and Utah State (3-2). In the third QTR, LSU was only up 28-6 over Utah State at home.

Statistically, our defense is much better than LSU's (its an even bigger gap than it was last season) even though LSU has played and dominated inferior competition thus far. Even Auburn's defense has been rated higher than LSU's all season.

Compared to LSU to this season, we have played the better competition (UF is 3-0 in the SEC, LSU is 1-0) and because of it; UF has been physically, mentally, and emotionally tested, made the better half time adjustments (due to superior coaching and game planning), controlled the ball and clock, come from behind late in the game on the road and at home in order to win, had superior (I'm talking BAMA, OSU, and Clemson level) S&C, and dominated the 4th quarter (which is what great teams do).

And UF isn't even clicking on all cylinders yet. We are getting better with each game and finally getting some starters back that we have missed all season. Because of this, we are tested, resilient, and have the will to win in the face of adversity. We have been punched in the mouth early on versus Miami and Kentucky, and still won. We played a sloppy game yesterday versus Aurburn, and still won.

Nobody gave us a shot last year versus LSU and their all-world QB Burrow. Nobody will give us a shot versus LSU next week. They are Paper Tigers. Kyle Trask would have somewhat similar stats to Burrow if he had played the same inferior competition that Burrow has. LSU's defense is not equal to the great LSU defenses of old.

They have suspect S&C and lack quality depth, and Orgeron has acknowledged this in the local papers (ESPN never mentions this glaring fact, but Doering mentioned it on SEC Now). Orgeron and Ensminger have finally given LSU a good offense, but Aranda's (who replaced Kevin Steele, now at Auburn) defense can't keep up with LSU's offense because they are gassed in the second half, untested, and not playing on the same level as Steele's old LSU defense. And Aranda is not in the same league as Grantham.

Burrow is not going to go wild against our defense. He will be overconfident at home and will get rattled when he finally faces a real UF defense. And he will throw multiple INT's against us, just like he did last year. Mullen has beaten Orgeron two years in a row now (37-7 in 2017 with inferior talent at MSU, and 27-19 in 2018 with inferior talent at UF). In 2016 McDeathThreats beat Orgeron at LSU 16-10.

And that's because Orgeron is just not a good coach, even with having the legend John Robinson (Orgeron's Senior Consultant, another fact ESPN fails to mention) helping him run the program and game planning. When it comes to game planning, adjustments, and controlling the ball and clock, Orgeron isn't in the same league as Les Miles, much less Dan Mullen.

That win over Auburn yesterday, no matter how sloppy or inefficient it may have seemed, was freaking HUGE for this program. Even with the setbacks, Mullen outcoached Malzahn. Dan has an even better team this year, and these kids are battle tested and believe in themselves and will punch LSU in the mouth. And we should believe in them too.

Keep the faith, Bask in the Trask, and enjoy the ride. Things could be a lot worse. ;) :alligator:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    • Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Best Post Ever x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Creative x 1
  16. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Still haven't gotten tired of watching the highlights of our game on SECN this morning yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. unclerob

unclerob Freshman

Aug 14, 2015
    That really bothered me too. There was also a Swain punt reception where he caught the ball out of bounds on our 28 yard line, and they spotted the ball on our 27. Should probably been spotted at the 30-31.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    So?

19. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

Absolutely. Plus, there was pass interference on just about every pass. They called a few of them, but it was ridiculous. Not impressed with Auburn's DBs at all.

We legitimately turned the ball over four times, got a hard screwing from the officials on our home field, and still beat the No. 7 team in the country by 11. I can't wait to see us play on a level playing field, and not turn the ball over in the same game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Full_Clip

Full_Clip Senior

Sep 21, 2014
    I agree with you 100%. Mullen is extracting every bit from this team, both on offense and defense. Combine that with the improved strength and conditioning plus the lights out second half adjustments by Grantham makes us match up with anyone.

HOWEVER - There are some major issues that needs to be addressed.

As much as this team has improved, we still have a lot of turn overs. It's being negated by our defense with them getting pressure and forcing picks, but it's only a matter of time before it really bites us.

Also, going into Death Valley is no joke. We can certainly win that game, but let's be real, it's going to be as tough on us as it was for Auburn playing in the Swamp. Execution will have to be much better for us to win.

Trask now has multiple games with sack fumbles. He's inexperienced so his internal clock and pocket presence will get better, but with our offensive line not being the greatest, it's a point of concern. LSU is going to be blitz heavy and Trask isn't a real threat outside of the pocket. Dan Mullen still wants to run a "willing runner" QB but with Trask, the yield is just not as good as it was with Franks or Jones.

It's been another game where we didn't have any run game. Again, Mullen likes to build his offense game plan around a willing runner QB to open up line backers but this isn't a good option with Trask, especially with a mild knee injury.

Which leads me to my next point - Why do we keep calling the QB sneak? Trask got a touch down against UK with it, but I think that play has gone belly up at least another 4-5 times since then. Turning over the ball on downs is essentially equivalent to a turn over and again, this can be a game breaker. We have the speed to go to the outside with multiple wide receivers, yet we seem to be focused on risking our QB for no reason other than we just want to run that play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1