Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The 4 kinds of Gator hoops fans

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by thetrooper, Jan 16, 2021.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I will go one further Brent. I think Florida's real success in the eyes of the public was linked to four players.
    That 2013 F4 team may never happen if Billy doesn't have the reputation garnered by the 04's. In fact if Billy had continued as he had after the 2000 run he may not have been here to see 2013.

Outside of 3 or 4 programs, college hoops is lightning in a bottle. Villanova has captured it recently. The Zags are still chasing it, and Billy caught it a couple times.
    If Mike catches it once it opens the door for program building.

If Scott thinks a change is needed, I will support it, but until then I will support Mike and hold some hope that he has the lid off the bottle and will find his lightning storm.
    Roy Williams was still 5 years away from a natty at this point in his career and he has Kansas and UNC's history on his side. If Leonard Hamilton can build a top 10 program at that dump down I-10, than Mike White can eventually do it here.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    One important thing that you fail to grasp is that Billy was a winner, he won as the best player on his team taking Providence to the Final Four, he was an assistant to Pitino and took Kentucky to the Final Four, and he made Florida an elite program during his tenure as coach. One thing we agree on is that White is no Billy Donovan. White played at Ole Miss, made the tournament once, coached at Louisiana State and never made the tournament while he was there. So, yeah there is a huge difference between Donovan and White, and always will be. One is a proven winner.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  3. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Off topic, but a great moment. Sorry.

Carry on..

4. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    The only delusion is that you see Florida basketball as no better than any lower level division 1 program and that isn’t reality. Donovan put Florida basketball on the map as an elite program. No longer were teams adding Florida to pad their schedule with a cupcake win. It was Florida now that was adding those teams that they used to be among. So don’t give me that what Billy built doesn’t matter and it hasn’t helped White. White jumped at the opportunity to coach at Florida for a reason, remember he turned down other teams like Tennessee. He jumped because Florida was a highly regarded team and it was a huge step up for his coaching career. To argue it wasn’t is a delusion. Game over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    and when did I argue that Florida wasn’t a step up from La Tech?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    You have insinuated that Florida is not an elite level basketball school and said that players go to a school mainly due to the coach. How many McDonald’s All Americans did White recruit to La State?

8. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I am sure you realize there is a pretty expansive middle ground between “elite level” and La Tech.
    You have resorted to a straw man tactic, and very bad one... even by straw man standards.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. tilly

So it's Billy level or bust for you? If you are basically only going to be satisfied if we steal Jay Wright type guy away from a championship program, you will be disappointed.
    You are not generally gonna get a young up and comer that wins at an elite level for several years. In college hoops great coaches (outside of 2 or 3 exceptions) take time to become great and are only great based on multiple pockets of success. Who was the last championship coach that did not pay years of dues before finally getting there?
    Mike is still pretty young compared to when most coaches hit their FIRST pocket of success.

What do their playing days have to do with it? What did Urban, or Cal, or Saban, or Izzo, or Belichick do as players?
    What did coach K win as a player?

Again, you ignore that Billy is one class from being an average coach that never won anything.
    You are making my point. Elite hoops coaches the win almost every year and reload like a machine are very rare.
    Even Billy struggled and he was indeed elite.

Look I would love for the next Billy to walk through that door. Thing is, they are very rare and you might go through 4 regimes until you find him.

Some programs have found that patience is indeed the key.

Jay Wright is a great example. He struggled for 5 years at Hofstra before finally making a tourney.
    He then went FOURTEEN years at Nova with several NIT bids an only 1 E8 and 1 F4.
    All the while he was building a PROGRAM.

Then lightning struck. Now 5 Sweet 16's, 4 Elite Eights, 3 Final Fours and 2 National Titles later he has an Elite program. Ranked #3 right now I believe as well.
    He had a Mike White like career for twice as long as Mike White has been coaching yet Nova believed in the program he was building.

Can White be the next Wright? No idea.
    But that is how you build a program, because Jay Wright isn't leaving. K isn't leaving. Izzo isn't leaving.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Whatever. It is you that wants to use the narrative that White hasn’t inherited a program that was built to an elite status.

11. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    You just don’t get it, do you? I’m just saying that White isn’t the coach to keep the program at the elite level status. He is taking the program down a considerable level than what it was. There are a lot more coaches out there that aren’t Donovan that could win at Florida and keep it relevant as a basketball program.

12. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Mike White is not Billy Donovan. Clear enough. But over the last couple of years as HBC you could tell by BDs talk of selfish play there was a growing frustration with (Im guessing) the college hoops landscape. Onward and upward.

BD is history. So are others that were suppose to be great hires or were long time coaches that run off as a failure to succed elsewhere. Be careful what you wish for.

As for this season, I've made a willful decision to mitagate stress because I can. Regardless, I'll enjoy reading comments here.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tilly

Guarantee 100% you would have fired Jay Wright in year six. Villanova would be worse off for it. That is what you don't get. Jay Wright showed no more promise 10 years into his coaching career than Mike White. What don't I get? I am open to the possibility that he isn't the guy. I am also understanding of how college hoops works to know that unlikley guys do become elite.

I have long said that I think Mike White will be a star somewhere someday. Long tenured coaches tend to become pretty good later on. Hamilton, Wright etc.

You and I have no idea what the future holds. Zero. No chance you would have supported Wright 10 years in and you would have said the same thing about him because the data was very similar.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. tilly

Elite programs can steal Roy Williams from another elite program.
    No elite coach is coming to Florida from another elite program.
    Elite programs win titles with Billy Tubbs at the helm. The program stands on it's own.

That is the difference. We are not THAT level of elite.

Florida was not an elite football program when Steve went to the NFL. HE was elite. That is why no elite coaches would come right after.
    Now we have had two runs under two coaches and the program is much more elite. We have another elite coach in Dan Mullen (IMO) to further the narrative.

Florida is now considered an elite football program, but it took additional success after the one great coach to make that happen.

Unless there is an Urban Meyer like hoops coach out there, I think we give Mike a bit more time because another bad roll of the dice turns us into Auburn or UT basketball in peoples eyes. We had an elite run, we are still another run away from being an elite program.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. tilly

Funny ratings? Shakes head.

Look around man. Mike White is coaching at the toughest time in our programs history. Pandemic. A player drops lifeless on the floor. Best two guys out.
    Disagree, but mocking those that disagree with you is lame. It's why this board struggles to get participation. A few here think they invented the game and mock those that disagree.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    You confuse elite with blue blood programs. To answer your question if Florida is elite, I suggest you read this:
    The 25 best college hoops programs from the 21st century

17. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    There are a few that are White apologists too and won’t accept facts. I guarantee there are a lot more folks that feel like Florida could do a lot better than Mike White than those that think he is the best we can do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    This thread is about the different types of Gator fans. How about the fan that enjoys watching Gator basketball (and all Gator sports) and when the game is over moves on with their lives.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

If there are a lot of folks who feel that Florida could do a lot better then the question becomes “who?” I would have liked Izzo. I would have liked Few. Neither of them are coming. Neither is Jay Wright. don’t want K or old Roy and I certainly don’t want Cal. So we are running low on candidates. If Shaka had been available when we were looking I would have wanted him. I was really excited when Billy said he was leaving and we were literally an hour away from signing Grant but he has not proved to be a great coach. Throw some names in the hat and let’s discuss if we think the would be an upgrade. My biggest gripe with CMW is that he hasn’t coached the type of team he did at La Tech. I though we would be off to the races. It seems he was finally comfortable to do that this year and then stuff happened. Unless there is someone who is a slam dunk improvement, I would wait a couple years to see where we go.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Dayton has lost 3 games by a combined total of 5 points, They also have beaten Ole Miss and Mississippi State. They have had a lot of players miss games. So, if you want to use that as an excuse for the Gators, you need to do the same for Dayton. Consensus national coach of the year in 2020.

• Like Like x 1