Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The 4 kinds of Gator hoops fans

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by thetrooper, Jan 16, 2021.

1. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Right I'm trying to understand the mediocrity part of that post. Roy Williams was 418-101 at Kansas and had 2 Final Fours in his first 5 seasons. And Coach Donovan really took off in his 3rd season with that Sweet 16 appearance. If that's what we're calling mediocre, then I'd like to know what they'd call Mike White's current tenure. lol

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I find it funny because you keep saying year after year that things are going to be better with White but that hasn’t happened nor will it ever happen. White said repeatedly that Florida would push the ball and be uptempo this season. He lied. Don’t want to hear he changed because of the loss of KJ. That shouldn’t have anything to do with him slowing down the pace.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Definitely a 1.

6 seasons is more than enough to show who you are.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Hudson fell off the map and so did Kevaughn Allen. Could it be that White had anything to do with that? Isn’t a coach supposed to develop players? How many has White made better or put in the NBA?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    There is no way you can say that for certain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    This year we’ve surely had bad luck, but we’ve had 3 prior “disappointing” seasons. The bigger issue is it’s not like things look to be getting better next year. So I think White really needs to avoid missing the tourney (or even a losing season).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Florida was 237 in offensive tempo last year.
    Florida is currently 56.
    Florida was 36 prior to losing Key.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Yeah and 5 years later he hadn't sniffed it again and I guarantee some here were calling for his head after losing to 'Nova. Especially in todays social media world. Then BOOM. The light came on. He landed an all time class and the rest is history.

I am not for giving Mike 9 years of what we have seen, but I am simply not quite ready to jump off his ship.

Great college hoops coaches often take a while to seem great. Hoops and football are completely different animals in this regard.
    No idea if Mike will get there. I have moved from half full to half empty, but I am still half.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Jalen hit a wall. That was a mental thing. We've all watched enough hoops to know that. He was air-balling open 14 footers like Steve Sax on a routine grounder.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    You don't have to guarantee it as it was a fact. People saying he had caught lightning in a bottle with his 2 NCs. As soon as we started losing the negative nellies came out in force because Donovan wasn't soothing their hurt feelings well enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    His "mediocre" years of having an early exit followed real solid regular seasons including one injury-plagued year. The only years I'd consider to be mediocre were the 3 seasons that followed the national champions with Coach Donovan. Then he went on another amazing 4-year run.

12. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    You're absolutely right in that all our cupcake games cancelled makes this season's record look much worse...and no way we lose these close games with both KJ and Scottie. Look at what we were doing to FSU when KJ went down

13. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Some were calling for Donovan’s head during those years that he made an early exit but his games were always entertaining and there were clues that he would get there in time. Those clues aren’t there with White. He hasn’t shown that he can run an offense successfully and is a poor coach at making in game adjustments.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    N
    No disrespect but you're comparing White to the legend our court is named after - a coach who is among very few to have successfully made the jump to the NBA. To compare CMW to him and expect similar results is a bit unfair. Who else would you have hired to replace him? And without the benefit of hindsight and also would have come here

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Whew, folks are reaching hard to try and give White a free pass. The KJ situation is definitely an unfortunate situation, however, what happened to the "next man up" mantra? Playing without Scottie is just something that everyone in the NCAA is dealing with due to corona, that's not exclusive to just us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Wait till the end of the season and see where that ranking sits. We are 56 because we ran in those first few games. I’ll bet you any amount you choose that we are triple digits in offensive tempo at seasons end.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    I didn't compare him, another poster compared Mike White to Roy Williams and Coach Donovan. I just added my two cents to show why there's no comparison between Mike White and those 2.

Also I actually thought Mike White was going to be the perfect hire for us coming from La Tech. His 2nd year and the way the team started his third year was looking great, then the PK80 tournament happened. Ever since that darn tournament, things have looked very mediocre.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  18. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    It's not reaching it is countering the calls for White to be fired with facts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Ah gotcha, well then. Carry on...

20. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Hit a wall? So what happened to Kevaughn Allen?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1