Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The 15 Greatest Gator Quarterbacks

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by WhattaGator, Jul 11, 2019.

1. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz GC Legend

Don Gaffney. His brother Derrick played at the same time I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AllSouthernBuff

AllSouthernBuff All American

Nov 25, 2014
    Guess not even considering Rammy Ramsdell, Goof Bowyer, Clyde Crabtree, Doug Dickey, Larry Libertore, etc.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    C'mon, man. No Top 100 is complete without Bobby Sabelhaus.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    I was going to say that! Gaffney ran as pretty an option pitchout as you’ll ever see. He’d wait till right when he’d get hit and then you’d see the ball come out toward the sweep guy. Truly a thing of beauty. Only reason he didn’t see greater success was the boob running our program back then.

Go Gators

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I have seen every UF QB since Jimmy Dunn in the 1950s so I think I have some perspective as to the best.

The obvious is the top, but from then on I can render an opinion as to why.

1- Tebow.
    2- Wuerffel.
    3- Spurrier
    4- Grossman (by a hair over 5).
    5- Reaves (if only he had Graves for 2 more yrs)
    6-Shane
    7-Leak (starting qb on NC team, should have been winning qb vs miami)
    8- Kerwin Bell
    9-Gaffney (just look at his record)
    10- Terry Dean (beat Bama in Birmingham for SECC, beat Uga in downpour rain).
    11- Wayne Peace (by a hair below #10 due to secc)
    12- Tommy Shannon (won Gator Bowl vs Penn St, also was punt returner).
    13-Jimmy Fisher (dual threat , had Wes Chandler as WR/RB).
    14- Larry Libatore (won some very big games on road vs Lsu w/ 66 yd run, threw 2 pt over GT)
    15-Doug Johnson (1997 vs fsu, had some high stat games)

Some HM- Jesse Palmer. Bobby Dodd Jr. Terry LeCount. Jeff Driskel. Tom Batten.

Left out- Eric Kresser. Kay Stephenson. Noah Brindise. Felipe Franks. The Throwin' Cohen. Jimmy Dunn (15-28 passing for 251 yards led team one yr). Wayne Williamson. Ingle Martin. Brock Berlin. Herbert Perry. Rodney Brewer. Donnie Whiting. David Bowden (no relation to you know). Chan Gailey. Larry Rentz (better db). Cris Collinsworth. Roger Sibbald (better db). Tyrone Young. Johnell Brown.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No one mentioned Bob Hewko? He had injury issues, but he was an excellent Gator QB when he was on the field. I’m not sure where he should be on this list, but based on his overall Gator career I would put him ahead of Kresser and Brantley (at least).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. lifetimeg8r

lifetimeg8r Senior

Jan 18, 2008
    I agree with most of your list, but IMO Shane at #6 is a little bit low. 2 time SEC POY

8. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I'd probably have him in my Top 15.

9. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I'm going to pick at you a little bit. That's the fun of this. I have problems with two of your rankings. First, Jimmy Fisher was better than Don Gaffney. In '75, we were struggling with Gaffney - lost to UNC and were sputtering - when Gaffney got hurt. Fisher came in and was magnificent - went undefeated, and the wishbone ran better than it ever had. Jimmy Dubose was killing it. Gaffney gets well the week of the Georgia game after Fisher had led us to only our second win EVER at Auburn, 31-14 or 31-10, can't remember. Anyway, lame-brain Dickey pulls Fisher (didn't get one snap) and the offense crashed against Georgia. The next year, Fisher was running away with SEC POY award, when the same genius, Doug Dickey, as 5220 said, "author of 'How I Inherited a Gold Mine and Left the Gators the Shaft,' called his infamous "fourth and dumb." He still finished second in the voting for the award. He was just better than Gaffney. Just like Charlie Ward was better than Casey Weldon at fsu - in both circumstances the first guys was good, and a year ahead in the program.

Second, SOS states emphatically that Shane Matthews was better than he was, and I believe he was. Shane was certainly better than Reaves or Grossman. Along with Leak, Reaves and Grossman threw the prettiest spirals of any Gator QB, but when the going got tough, Reaves wasn't the best, and Shane was the best. I also think that Bell was better than Reaves and Grossman.

Good list, though. Really good list.

• Like Like x 1
  10. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Good points. I gave Reaves credit for 1969 season, and points in my head for setting NC passing records with Dickey trying to make him a roll out QB. As John told me one day in jest, "I was good, so good that I was not pulled from a game after throwing 9 picks." Hilarious. I think Shane greatly benefited from SOS coaching and Reaves was punished for DD coaching.

Another point in Reaves favor, though not at UF, when he was the qb of the Bandits w/ SOS as HBC and Reaves was well past his prime, he looked all world with good coaching.

I liked Gaffney and still recall 2 games. The one vs Uga where he threw a 2 pt conversion to Hollis Boardman in endzone for a 11-10 win and for that pass vs fsu to Alvis Darby where he said something like Darby looked at him and he looked back and their minds in sync changed the play which got an important fist down to win. Dickey did screw up players and positions.

I forgot that Fisher was on a roll and DD changed Qbs. Another reason to keep him in the Gator Hall of Shame w/ Nochamp and McButterteethe.

11. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    While unpopular, I’d still have Danny #1. He was the better QB.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. FraserGator15

FraserGator15 Sophomore

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Tebow
    Wuerffel
    Rex
    Shane
    leak
    Spurrier
    Bell
    Peace
    Gaffney
    Doug Johnson

13. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Writer may have looked up Kresser stats and included his Marshall stats after transfer.

If add transfer numbers, Jacoby Brisset should be on list for NC State stats as well :). Driskel gets extra Stats to his number for Louisiana Tech, Brock Berlin gets Miami numbers, ...

14. jpullen

jpullen Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    If John Brantley is in the top 15, you might as well include David Bowden who is best known for throwing the ball out of bounds on fourth down to stop the clock as we were driving for a game winning score against Auburn.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    You guys forgot "The Wizard" Larry Ochab, 1979.

16. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I know many pick Tim Tebow first and with good reason but Danny would get my #1 vote.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    Haywood Sullivan belongs there. He doesn't have the numbers because of the offensive scheme he was under but any Florida historian will tell you he's one of the most gifted athletes we have ever had at the position.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    Same here. 4 SEC's, a NC and a Heisman as a starter is better than 1 SEC, a NC and a Heisman as a starter. I'm not quick to give Leaks NC and SEC to Tebow like others do. He was a big part in getting us there. He wasn't the starter though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. g8tr80

g8tr80 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Impossible to forget. That was my senior year. Boy did we suck :). That was the year I learned football humility.

20. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Since 11-15 are all a crap shoot, what about Noah Brindise? Just by his performance in arguably one of the top 5 games in UF history, he deserves a shout out.