Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

That Atlantic: The MyPillow guy could really destroy democracy

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jul 31, 2021.

1. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You're sitting on yours.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My Pillow Guy is one of deluded millions, the difference being that he has a platform to spew his crap. But just dismiss him along with the rest of them. "Liberals" are just "hyperbolic." Put "insurrection" in quotes. It was just "Buffalo Bill and his idiots" having their day. Such impressive commentary.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    It's not funny! Those Q terrorist masterminds would have broken through those stalwart lines of brave police resistance like a hot knife through butter if they had been swinging pillows that terrible day that our democracy never called for backup!

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2021
    Thanks, man!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    You don't think that causing Americans to lose faith in our electoral system damages our democracy at all?

6. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    You're welcome. I just can't wait to read more.

7. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't think it has been mentioned here that Lindell and FoxNews have had a falling out. Lindell is pulling millions in advertising from the propaganda mill. Of course he may need all that money to settle with Dominion instead of advertising his pillow.

I wanted to link to the WSJ article, but there's a paywall, so this linked site will do whatever it is.

My Pillow Guy Mike Lindell to pull ads from Fox News

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2021
    Yes, I do. That's why mass mail outs of ballots should be stopped and voter ID is needed. That's what Jimmy Carter's bipartisan commission said years ago to avoid voter fraud and the "loss of faith in our electoral system".

I'm not one who thinks Trump won the election. He should have conceded and gone home and licked his self inflicted wounds. But I sure as hell think that there was some voter fraud and some shenanigans in certain areas. And it appears to me that Democrats want to make it easier for fraud to occur under the guise of stopping "voter suppression". Another bunch of hyperbolic bullshit. I find it interesting that somehow all those poor white folks in the hills of West Virginia can somehow figure out a way to get an ID yet the Democrats think those poor urban black folks just aren't capable. You talk about the racism of low expectations. It's insulting. o_O

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Imho the voter id laws are about comparing addresses and saying folks can’t vote because the addresses don’t match. I vote absentee because it is more convenient for me in my travels.

Maybe is time to do away with precincts and anyone can vote anywhere? There should also be statistical analysis to have weight times equalized by moving voting locations.

And my pillow guy is just another side show in a larger circus. A bag of mixed nuts if you will ;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It would seem totally crazy. Except for the fact that it actually happened!

This lunatic actually got HOURS of face time with the former President in his final days, and yeah they did come pretty damned close to destroying American democracy. As I recall guy was dumb enough to be snapped going into the White House with a piece of paper that had “Invoke Insurrection Act” scrawled on it. The only reason this didn’t happen is Trump needed a few more lackeys in the military and DOJ willing to do it, willing to call the election “rigged” or “illegal” or whatever the nutjob in chief wanted.

Of course that it was a real threat obviously had more to do with Trump than with Lindell.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    So do you think Lindell’s efforts to convince Americans that the election was fraudulent has the potential to harm our democracy?

12. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Two truisms

1. Lindell is an abject idiot who happened to make a marketable pillow.

2. Our elections need to be secure.

Ironically, in GA, republicans are the ones who initiated condition free, ID free mail in voting when they first took over the state house about 15 years back. And Dems opposed it.

16 Years Later, Georgia Lawmakers Flip Views On Absentee Voting

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    As you know, Republicans of 16 years ago (or even 5 years ago) are not the Republicans of today. (The party got hit by some Agent Orange.) And if Dems opposed that initiative 16 years ago, it may have been because GA was a Republican stronghold and they feared it would just mean more Republican votes. But that's just a guess.

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    A case of SDS (Soros Delusion Syndrome, not Students for a Democratic Society). Seems to endemic among so called conservatives.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  15. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Was there voter fraud uncovered in the 2020 election? From investigative reporting, DOJ, state election boards both Dem and Rep, there were very, very few verifiable instances of actual cases - 1 in 10,000,000 votes cast. The hyperbolic voices have been on the right and designed to undermine the faith in elections.

• Winner Winner x 3
  16. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    This is the trap conservatives fall in to. It "feels" like a moderate position right now to just ASSUME there was voter fraud, despite multiple credible sources saying there was almost none. The disinformation and misinformation campaign by the extreme right is having an effect - it is pulling even semi-sane conservatives further right as they strive to find middle ground.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    It's funny that The Atlantic did not run an article about how Maddow, and the other outlets promoting the Steele Dossier were not destroying democracy when over 70% of Democrats believed that the Russians had hacked into voting systems and changed vote totals in the 2016 election.

Since the '00 election, with the exception of '08 and '12, each party has had members believe that the POTUS election was stolen from them in some way.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Here it is, folks. This shit's serious.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    The number of Democrats who thought Russia changed vote totals in 2016 was much closer to 0 than 70%.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    Seriously?
    You have a link to that?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2