Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Thanksgiving and Foundational Conservatism

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Nov 26, 2023.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Something I've been chewing on for a few days now. I don't know if I agree with the author that gratitude is a foundational piece of conservatism, but I do believe it is a foundational piece of a good life.

Thanksgiving and Foundational Conservatism (freemennewsletter.com)

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    I thought Foundational Conservativism would entail the discipline to go five minutes without thinking about Trump.

3. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Only if you believe Thanksgiving has been around longer. I'm no longer sure since science has proven that people my age suffer from the Mandela effect about such things.

4. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Those with special privileges are always going to be thankful for those special privileges and characterize the progress of others towards those same benefits as outrage. Nothing ground breaking to me unless I missed something coming off of my turkey high.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    "Without a bedrock of certain simple conservative values, like gratitude and giving thanks, there is no good soil for a more principled conservatism to take root." Surely he doesn't mean to imply these are not also the values of liberals. It seems that conservatives and liberals largely share the same values, but differ only as to their principles' e.g., the role of government in a society. The author didn't adequately explain the difference between a value, e.g., honesty, and a principle, e.g., never tell a lie.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    We all come from somewhere and our primate brains end up with some kind of worldview or another. I think it’s worth looking more closely at the evolution of the worldviews of others. Clearly, many conservatives on here have low opinions of the liberal worldview, often describing it as a selfish effort to plunder the gains of others. And your description of conservatism here really isn’t much different, suggesting that conservatives are selfish and desire only to horde resources for themselves. Not surprisingly, data show that the two sides have a fairly distorted view of one other, which should begs us to reconsider what we think we know about them. Note this passage from the Levin post cited in phil’s article.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    where Levin goes wrong is the bit about those with opposing view are well intentioned. While some I assume are good people, the ilk aren’t. They’re vile.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Interestingly, this is the point I am personally most confident in being correct. I am close with people of quite varying political persuasions, and none of them do I think is a bad person. Heck, I myself have changed political views over time.

E.g. In the last 10-15 years, I’ve become skeptical of the minimum wage. The 25 year old GatorRade would have been horrified to find someone who didn’t think we absolutely needed a minimum wage, but I see good reason to suspect that such laws actually harm low skill workers. I’m not saying that I’m 100% confident we should do away with minimum wage laws, but I am now confident that good people can inhabit both sides of this debate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    To live with gratitude exceeding expectations is to live a good life.

It’s a goal.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Now why the hell is that funny, 92gator!?! If you can’t agree on common values, you’re an extremist and unworthy as a discussion partner. Bye bye.

11. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

I’d guess you earned it with hard work and education. Amirite

12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    A minimum wage is tantamount to price controls on labor. So technically speaking, it cannot be economically efficient (particularly for hardcore Austrian school of thought economists who see ALL govt interventions as bad). I think there are other labor protections far more important than minimum wage, but I’d still never argue to abolish it. I’d just say the federal wage obviously needs to be on the lower end of whatever the states are doing.

On the other hand, I don’t think anyone is “harmed” when the min wage is very low. The FEDERAL wage is currently $7.25. Almost laughable to think there could be someone out there willing to work in a menial labor job, but can’t find work because the $7.25 is too onerous on employers. The $7.25 minimum is so low, it’s more or less just so kids and unskilled types working in grocery stores know they aren’t being gipped (and if any are still only getting $7.25, maybe they actually are being gipped).

Now some states might be pushing wages to where employers legitimately do need to do things like cut back from 5 workers to 4. I could see some of the $15+ states causing some economic disruptions, although most of those states already had high cost of living and high income so it’s probably not a big deal. Esp when unemployment is super low. The other potential inefficiency would be if the Feds set a min wage far higher than the prevailing “unskilled labor” hourly rate in a particular geography, like if the feds went straight to $15 that would be messy in low income states with low costs of living (mostly the Deep South and Appalachia, but probably some of the heartland states too).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
  13. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    I would not be surprised if some kind of pride month or oppression awareness month pops up in November eventually. We have to be unhappy, self loathing, and thinking about our oppression all 12 months of the year.

Now that I think about it….Florida football fills the void there quite nicely.

14. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    No. I don't think that's quite it or entirely it. Maybe appreciation for what is.
    If one has a warm house with enough to eat (could have come from hard work), one has more than a sizable chunk of the world's population. I try to be grateful for these things and the love of my family and friends (not everyone has such) and the physical ability to enjoy my environment (some lack this) and Selma Hyack

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Well said.

17. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    I see an inherent incompatibility between a leftist critical social justice and Thanksgiving.

The former is obsessed with what one does not have. The former is obsessed with disparities. When you are obsessed about the things that others have that you don’t…then Thanksgiving is not the lifestyle that you are pursuing or living.

• Agree Agree x 1