Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Texas? More like Taxas

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by wgbgator, Aug 23, 2022.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 14
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    6DFFF07D-AA44-4849-936F-4558B4FC3684.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Of course this still explains why rich people might prefer Texas

• Winner Winner x 5
  4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    It’s likely worse if you factor in embedded property taxes within rental payments to landlords in the top 1%. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You would have to do that in CA as well to have a fair comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  7. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Texas is 7th highest in property tax rates. California is one of the lowest. I sort of had that in my head when I made the comment. I should have been more thorough.

“California's average effective property tax rate is just 0.72% – among the lowest in the country. In Texas, they'll pay 1.9%.”

California Exodus: Why Are Californians Moving to Texas?

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Interesting story about how people perceive taxes. I'd propose that people perceive large scale, one time checks as bigger deals than even larger amounts dripped out over the entire year in small amounts (i.e., sales taxes).

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Texans: the solution to this class equity dilemma is more guns! Yee-haw.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is not an accurate representation. Texas has no state income tax and no city or local income taxes. The following are the taxes that provide revenue to the state of Texas:

Alcohol Beverage Taxes
    Cigarette and Tobacco Tax
    Franchise Tax (Corporate Tax)
    Hotel Occupancy Tax
    Insurance Taxes
    Motor Fuel Taxes
    Vehicle Sales and Rental Taxes
    Natural Gas Production Tax
    Oil Production Taxes
    Other Taxes
    Sales Taxes
    Utility Taxes

Data Visualizations

Add to that county property taxes.

None of these taxes are regressive. Almost every one of those is a flat tax rate. The franchise tax is a flat rate after a minimum threshold, which makes it somewhat progressive. Some of those taxes are not paid by individuals.

Most of the taxes individual people pay to the state or county are consumption taxes or property taxes. It makes sense that lower income people pay a higher percentage of their income as taxes because a higher proportion of their income will go towards purchasing taxable items.

So how do these flat taxes “reward” the rich?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Look at the OP. It perfectly demonstrates how Texas's tax scheme is regressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Most of those are regressive - in terms of tax paid as a percent of income. The wealthy save more, so sales taxes as a percent of income are typically higher for lower income.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I could give a rat's ass bout Tx taxes - though it was my home for 6+ years -, but these 2 statements don't really jive.

14. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    You are wrong on local taxes. They can tax up to 2% on top of the 6.25% state tax.

And pretty sure if you actually read the graph on the first post you'd see that 13% for the bottom earners, 9.7% for middle, and 3.1% for top earners is regressive. Unless you believe that isn't the definition of regression.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    You’re right on that, I forgot about the additional local sales tax. Thank you for the correction.

16. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    You specifically said that Texas has a tax scheme designed to reward the rich. Please tell us how that is so.

Furthermore, please tell us how you would make each of those taxes progressive. How would you make sales tax progressive? How are you make motor fuel taxes progressive? And all the rest.

17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I don’t have a dog in this fight. I live in tx. There are positives and negatives.

Texas tends to have very high sales taxes, up to 8.25%, and they are assessed on some services that aren’t in other states.

Property taxes as a percent of property value are very high, usually around 2.5%. Previously that was somewhat offset by low property values, but property values in urban areas have increased a lot lately. For the most part property tax rates haven’t.

CA is weird property tax wise because of prop 13 (I think) which capped growth in taxes at a very low number for a resident. The result could be a new resident next door could have much higher taxes than his neighbor that’s been there 20 years. It is one of several reasons not to move in CA.

Personally I’d rather be taxed in sales and property than income.

Cost of living is much lower in TX, I would think that more than offsets the higher tax burden on middle and low end. Due to CA extensive regulation on zoning and other things, you have a sort of built in tax of higher cost of living. Some of the regs could be for good reason, others may be excessive.

CA has a higher average household income base $107k vs TX $87k. Thus they have more income to tax.

Per Capita Income by State 2022

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    pass on the first thing. the other is simple. once a year submit a form with proof of income & proof of purchases* & refund in such a way as to make 'em progressive. *even simpler, but less accurate, is just refund according to income.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Please keep in mind that I was responding to gator lawyer’s contention the Texas has a tax scheme designed to reward the rich. I was pointing out that cannot be the case.

The regressiveness is not designed in the system. It is merely an artifact of life, that the lower your income the larger the portion of your income is spent on taxable items.

It’s just the way life is. It’s not some system designed to reward the rich.

20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    This is what I specifically said:
    If you need an explanation of why, look at the OP. If you want to how to make a tax scheme progressive, my answer is to not design your tax scheme like Texas's.

When you impose flat taxes on consumption, you're going to end up imposing a heavier tax burden on the people who have to spend a larger percentage of their income consuming goods. Doc offered an idea on how to make it progressive. But I'd simply recommend not building a tax scheme in that sort of manner.

• Agree Agree x 1