Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Texas A&M giving fisher

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Pasco08, Nov 30, 2017.

1. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Fisher is a good coach, but he's not $7.5 mil a year good. Let's also understand that A LOT of his success has come off playing extremely week strength of schedules and having both his in-state rivals down for most of that time.

If he goes out there I'll honestly be interested to see how he really does in the SEC West.

I think he'll last maybe four years.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Unfortunately, the war chant is the only thing easy enough for FSU fans to memorize, so it's not going away anytime soon.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    lol at FSU fans. they are of minimal thought process

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Geez Nebraska. Lock up Frost already.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorBait42

GatorBait42 All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Taggart at FSU frightens me

But I guess it can't get much worse lol

6. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Yeah, but Bowden was relegated to not much more than a recruiting tool by the end for a hefty price tag. He was being phased out years before he was thrown out.

7. The_Graygator

Apr 11, 2007
    True, as you should hear some of the talk up here amongst the nolie faithful... they're actually talking like they are going to draw Kirby Smart from UGA or Saban from Bama to coach there" or that Bob Stoops is going to come out of retirement for them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. ExSS99

ExSS99 Sophomore

Oct 21, 2015
    On a boat
    They've been out of the game for about 40 years. As we know it's a jungle out there...worst of luck to them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. fierygator

fierygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 13, 2010
    Apex, NC
    I don’t think Taggart can do much better on the recruiting trail and I don’t see him as a better game day coach so I don’t get the concern. What am I missing?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. fierygator

fierygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 13, 2010
    Apex, NC
    We might find out tomorrow that he’s been locked up.

11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hope you are correct. And even if he wants the job will his assistants join him?

12. GatorDad63

GatorDad63 Premium Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Getting the feeling that A&M fans are not to keen on Jimbo

• Like Like x 1
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    surprised they like Fisher enough to hire. Seems like somewhat a redneck. $7.5 seems like they overpaid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gator_lyn

gator_lyn Junior

Oct 28, 2017
    Jim Bob Cooter just got paid!!!

I bet his ex-wife is wanting to get back together again lol

15. GatorDad63

GatorDad63 Premium Member

Dec 15, 2010
    I think I figured out Jimbos logic. He is into S&M and wants to get spanked by Satin every year.

16. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Personally, I think it's exceedingly curious that A&M choose Jimbo after FSU let him go.

Admittedly, A&M is the #2 school in Texas, just like FSU is in Florida, but with a high end coach and recruiter now at Texas, it will be difficult for a newbie like Jimbo to pull top recruits from the home state against all the competition there is. Admittedly, this year (first year), he did pull 9 4* kids from Texas, while Texas pulled 15, but Oklahoma only pulled 4, but I must assume that this is due almost strictly to $$$ given Jimbo's history.

To offer a new coach who's just been fired a contract like this simply astounds me.

17. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    I am not a Jimbo Fan. I am glad he did not end up at LSU. Louisiana could not afford him and he had his chance before.

That said, I don't think he's that great. Everyone bashed UF coaches when they did not have a QB. Look what happened to a very talented FSU team when they lost theirs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. fljim

fljim GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe both Candi Fisher and Taylor Jacobs (ex-Gator) will get a part of that booty - no pun intended(?).

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. The_Graygator

Apr 11, 2007
    If we'd have had that first year defense we had in Mac's first year, we'd have had a much better chance to win that game last year. OTOH, two pic 6's is hard to overcome when your offense is run by an absolute clueless incompetent like Nussmeier was. Mass injuries didn't help either.

Fisher is a very good coach, but not "elite" imo, but he knew offense and how to develop QB's, and no one can argue that. Of course, he caught us through the turmoil of three head coaching changes over a 7 year period and that led to only ONE loss to us during that time span. The two coaches he had success against were complete flops too, and not just the head coaches themselves, but the overall staffs they hired as well. Winston was his one, HUGE recruiting score as fsu hbc, who carried him to a NC and then an undefeated regular season the next year.

Taggart did pretty good in his recruiting this year, rebounding late, but he also had a number of the higher-ranked defensive players Fisher recruited stick to fsu, so Taggart's class could have been a lot worse. I just don't see "it" in Taggart as a hbc. Maybe that's my own personal bias, but with an overall losing carrer record and only one good season at USF under his belt as any sort of resume' builder, consider me to be in a "need to be impressed" category.

• Agree Agree x 1