Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Texas A&M CB transfer to UF

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by garettk, Aug 6, 2021.

1. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Former Texas A&M CB transfer Elijah Blades announces transfer to UF
    Won’t link to article. Former Rivals Top 100.

• Like Like x 4
  2. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    [​IMG]

Transfer cornerback Elijah Blades plans to join the Gators as a mid-camp pickup around Aug. 13, once his undergraduate degree at Texas A&M is finalized.

There’s a full-circle element at play. When Blades was a four-star high school recruit from Pasadena, Calif., in 2017, he decommitted from Florida a week before signing day and ultimately failed to qualify. He was the top-ranked junior college cornerback in the 2019 class per the 247Sports Composite when he signed with Texas A&M.

Blades made six starts for Texas A&M in 2019 while playing with a torn labrum and then opted out last season after needing more recovery time following shoulder surgery.

He completed his final online class Thursday and is eager to enroll. “I’m waiting on my grades to go in and my transcript to get sent over,” he said. “If I can’t get into practice next week, I’ll definitely be out there the week after that.”

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Seems like we have some pieces to work with in the secondary. Finally might be able to sit some people down when they underperform.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think we were okay with talent, but that lack of experienced depth was the problem. More numbers and more talent is good for our overall defense.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Gatorborn

Gatorborn Junior

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    All prejudice aside there's been a lot of good db's with the last name of Blades (is he related?)

6. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Hope he pans out to be a good contributor. His history of commitment to teams isn't exactly exemplary, i.e. polar opposite to Kyle Trask. Since he is already a senior, maybe his wonderlust has dissipated with this latest transfer.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    UF will be adding to its NFL DBU stock in 22. Blades has all the tools for advancing to the next level.

Just hope his transcript arrives from Texas A&M soon. Don't want some paper pusher mucking up Blades practice time. He's already going to miss the first week of camp. UF Admissions? That means you too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Grad transfer is my understanding, so have to wait for commencement ceremony for semester at TAM?

9. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    From what I read, Blades final class was on Thursday. When his grade is turned in, his transcript can be forwarded to UF. Once UF receives and accepts the transcript for enrollment, Blades will enroll and begin practice. There has been no mention of having to participate in a commencement ceremony so that is likely not a requirement.

10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Looks like commencement for TAM is August 13th at 10am for undergrads. Grad transfers must graduate (don’t have to attend graduation) in order to transfer with immediate eligibility.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Can he bring Isiah Spiller along too?

12. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    So, assuming he gets in, I wonder how prominent of a role he will play right out of the gate with the current and incoming talent on the roster. Mullen doesn't seem to take transfers for depth; they usually see the field pretty quickly.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Grad transfers have worked out pretty well for us in the past. I remember a guy named Ryan Smith made a difference as a Gator in 2006!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    Somehow, I don’t think he’ll be standing in line at Criser Hall waiting to talk to someone about his application.

• Funny Funny x 5
  15. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I am quite sure everyone will do their due diligence. What else could happen?

I guess sometimes you are just born with the "Kid Brother Syndrome".

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. G8tas

G8tas GC Legend

Sep 22, 2008
    Interesting how things have come full circle with this guy

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Good chance of starting I would think or he wouldnt come. Now even more so given thatI hear Hill is hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm glad we have the portal- we would have been and probably would be second tier in terms of talent without it. But we recruited 15 DB in two cycles. And, I thought we had solid starting CBs from the 2019 cycle. It's a mystery to me so I conclude we took a bunch of guys with potential if they develop and our staff is still sorting through it. When Misschump was here he recruited guys that were ready to jump into the rotation year one. Yet, at the same time, on AR there's nobody saying we need fewer than four DB this cycle, as if we still don't have a roster with depth. But okay...

Then why does he want to leave TAMU- if he's so talented he should be a top 3 CB on their roster, and if he's talented enough to start now at UF what about all the talent we supposedly took past three cycles? It's fine to say that "when a guy of his level wants to transfer to your school take him" but is there something else this signals? I'm not convinced the problems in our secondary last season weren't due to coaching/coordination/scheme so if that's part of the problem talent probably wasn't the issue.

I hope this staff gets it figured out.

19. rball1313

rball1313 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think the scheme stunk and it seemed as if tackling was listed as "optional/not mandatory" as a job skill for playing DB last year. That's what was so disturbing regarding the previous DB coach, he was held in such high regard by many but a basic skill necessary to play defensive football,...tackle the man with the ball,...seemed to be a far-flung expectation. Hope the new DB coaches hold all the DB's accountable.

20. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    I believe this to be one of the more underappreciated transfers we have ever had.

• Agree Agree x 2