Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tex/OU on SEC diamond as soon as when?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by jhfxof, Aug 1, 2021.

1. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Will softball/baseball be first 2 sports(major) to include them , and will that be next season upcoming?

At which point I will no longer call it SEC. Sub section A, until I come up w/ something better. lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Tier 1
    and
    Tier 2 ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Adding teams to the SEC is mostly about football and basketball as an after thought. Baseball and softball are WAY down the list.

It is all about the Benjamins.

4. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Maybe but it has to start somewhere. Baseball/softball will be the first or last to include them I assume. Sounds like in next year(22) in football, so was just wondering if all sports starting seasons in 22 will be the same. But I could see it not starting until the first all inclusive football season.

I guess the real question is when do they officially join? I would assume that would include all sports from that point forward.. be kinda weird playing in big 12 as SEC member if not..lol

5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would imagine all sports will transition in the same school year. You won't have some sports in one conference and others in the old league.
    When the transition happens will depend on money/contracts/TV

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Agree, and sounds like next year for football. So we should all expect to be swept by OU next year(sftball) lol Ill wager AU opens SEC in Norman, get it over with at least.

7. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm sure they will try to do it that fast, not sure they can pull it off. Probably depends on how the conference reacts to their departure.
    I'm ready to see how Okla reacts to an SEC type schedule in every sport. They are not used to the week in week out difficulty. Bear in mind we don't see every school play each other as the schedule is now....so adding 2 teams means even lower % of teams will face each other.

8. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Eh,, SEC not that much better than Big 12 IMO, little deeper I guess, which I guess is your point.lol

And yeah i was curious on scheduling. Guessing they add at least one more series in softball. Maybe 2 for an even 10.

OU is reloading I know that. watched most of the 2 ALL Star games this week b/c AU had ONE player in each.(Both games MVP btw..;) but i lost count of OU commits.. Including a P throwing 77. Nat POY I think they said,,was hitting also.

I also think Texas gets considerably better. This conferece, whatever it will be called, will obviously be go to spot(pending what happens w/ Pac) the less further east the talent has to go the better Id think. OU/Tex will fill up first..lol

9. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    baseball wise I dont think much difference at all other than 2 more team to beat out for post season.. Does SEC get 14 bids now?? But your playing a losable series every weekend.. thats not yet the case in softball. Still have your bottom 2 or 3 per year that are pretty bad,,,whether they were awarded a host site or not..;)

how many of 16 make SECT in bseball? might be a 2 venue event

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  10. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Maybe all 16 and make it single elimination. Tourney is meaningless anyway unless ur a Hoover business.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

MSU treated it that way and it clearly didn’t hurt them…

12. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Ive long been advocate of doing away w/ all conf tourneys/champ games. Especially if dictated on division winners not records(fball)

13. TheBoss

TheBoss Sophomore

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Baseball tournament exists solely to benefit B-ham area businesses that cuddle up to SEC staff (the secondary reason is to burn up pitching staffs). That's why the original FB championship was there. My thanks go to mother nature for the horrible weather both years that drove the game to Atlanta. Nearly all of the bsb teams get into a regional, so the automatic bid is totally meaningless- you did know the winner gets an automatic bid? It meant a lot when The top two teams from each division would play at the home field of one of the division winners and the losers of that series just went home. My suggestion would be having the bottom 4-6 teams play a double elimination for the automatic bid and the other teams get an extra week of practice and rest before regionals.

14. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I like the idea of eliminating Hoover and coming up with something creative for that final weekend. Maybe some kind of crossover series where you play the team that finished in the same spot in the standings in the opposite division or something like that?

Also, the first time we play in Austin sure sounds like a weekend trip to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
  16. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I don't know how it would work schedule wise for the SECT but I'd like to see all 16 in with a pod approach. The top 4 teams from the regular season would get to host the first few rounds and the winners advance to Hoover or where ever for the semifinals and finals. So one pod would host number 1, 8, 9, 16 ranked by the end of season standings. Second pod would host 2, 7, 10, 15. Third would host 3, 6, 11, 14. Forth would host 4, 5, 12, 13. The pod rounds could be single or double elimination, whichever is best, but I'd keep the semifinals and finals as single elimination. Thinking it thru the pod rounds would be better as single elimination as well to keep each team from only going 4 starters deep and only 2 rounds per location. So first and second rounds would be on Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday is a travel day. Friday is practice and press. Saturday and Sunday are for the Final 4 and Championship. Keeping the Finals to two days might help open up other locations to move the tourney to minor league parks or better surroundings.

17. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    New idea: Two 8 team divisions. 7 weekend series in your division for a full round robin. Then a 3 weekend best of 3 crossover bracket to determine the champion including full loser's brackets so everyone still plays 30 games. All games still count as regular season games for NCAA tournament purposes and so the Sunday games still matter even if a team has already won the series.

18. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    I have no idea how all this is going to play out, but my guess is that the crumbling of the P5 has just begun and that when it's all over there will be 3 super conferences of 20 teams each.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I’m thinking my beer bill’s going to go up……

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. neutrino_boi

neutrino_boi Freshman

Feb 1, 2020
    My preference: 2 division, 8 teams each. 33 game conference schedule. No tournament. Play every team in-division every year, alternate home away. Play every team in the other division every other year, alternate home away (home, skip, away, skip, repeat).