Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tennessee Fans Reveling in The Win

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorchamps0607, Jan 12, 2019 at 8:32 PM.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    This is what happens when you 1. own them in football and 2. are the better program overall. Tennessee "fans" on their forum right now are crying about officiating and applauding their players classlessness after beating Florida. They have never been in a position like this so they don't know how to act.

They can't stand that we own them in football (their sport of choice) and have to take moral victories in beating a lower ranked team in the last couple minutes when being stifled by them all night. This Tenn team will not be winning the tournament and they will go right back to where they belong after the season. Riding the coattails of their women's basketball team and sucking it up against Gator football.

Revel in the win toothless Volunteers, it's just about the only time you have any happiness with regards to your men's sports, especially against Florida.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 8:41 PM
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. bababooey

bababooey GC Legend

Aug 27, 2018
    Gainesville, FL
    Beating a bad Gator team isn't anything to crow about. Especially considering their hoops team has never won anything.

• Winner Winner x 3
  3. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    They are hype, lol. They actually think their team is going to win it all. They are good, but in the grand scheme of things I think Florida just proved without a doubt that they will not be winning any championship this year. Is that a moral victory for Florida? Maybe, but anytime you expose Tenn men's sports for what they are is a beautiful thing. When was the last time any Tenn men's sport won a significant championship?

I answered my own question, it was 1998 when their football team won.

Enjoy it while it lasts Tennessee :D

4. bababooey

bababooey GC Legend

Aug 27, 2018
    Gainesville, FL
    Thing that sort of annoys me is Rick Barnes has been at UT the same amount of time White has been here. Barnes has them in the top 5. UF is *at best* a bubble team and some of us are saying he needs "more time."

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    White has been to the elite8 with the gators. So CMW is capable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Right now their basketball program is more prominent than our football program, and sadly, has accomplished over the last 20 years only a fraction of what our program has accomplished. The difference between Tennessee sports and Florida sports is that we coddle mediocrity from our coaching staffs. If Tennessee had won back to back championships in basketball, and their coach left for the NBA, any subsequent coach would have a VERY SHORT LEASH to get the program back to prominence again. Heck they have fired coaches for much less. But allowing a top tier program to become virtually irrelevant as we have become would have never have been tolerated in Knoxville or many other places.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  7. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Ok... where to begin? First of all, Tennessee basketball has had 3 20 win seasons in the last ten years. To say their basketball program is more prominent is factually incorrect. If anything, their basketball program is about on par with what our football team has accomplished in the same 10 year span. A team that every once in a while finds a decent season but is otherwise mediocre at best. Second, White was literally a couple plays away from the final four just last f'n season. It's not like we have been this bottom feeder since White has been here. Not to mention Billy left him a ridiculously untalented POS roster to work with. For anyone to call for White's head now is unreasonable and quite frankly, I question the persons sanity when they do.

I honestly think some of you people forget every freakin game aside from the one you are watching when you try to assess the program as a whole. Calling the team irrelevant after almost going to the final four is probably one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. Seriously, some of you guys need to buy a clue.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

They are ranked #3 in the country. Many people are saying they are a 1 seed in the tournament. They are more prominent than we are. Swallow your pride and deal with it. White has made us an irrelevant team right now. We have ZERO ZERO people going into the league. Not one person has been drafted into the NBA under Mike White. NOT ONE! This was a yearly reality for Donovan. It attracted big name players. How can we compete when we are not even putting people into the league. Heck we are the ONLY team in the NCAA that has not had a 20 point scorer this year!!!!!!!!

If that does not provide some perspective for where our program is headed I don't know what to tell you!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  9. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Look. .. this is such a stupid post, especially coming from you.

I love Rick Barnes, and said it was a great hire at the time. But the fact is, he has won a lone tourney game in his three years prior. You and your big money would have run his ass out on a rail by now.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 10:34 PM
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    It doesn't provide perspective for where the program is headed. To the contrary . . . it provides perspective as to where the program has been.
    If you are honestly interested in looking at where the program is headed. . . which I suspect you are not . . . you would look at the young players and in-coming recruits.

THAT ... by definition...is the future of the program. But that also doesn't jive with your agenda.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    How has that worked out for them?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Rick Barnes and Tennessee are perfect each other, two perennial chokers in the tournament.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Btw--- do any of you know who UT tried to hire after Counzo Martin left?

queque the "jeopardy Music" . . . .

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    Alex—Who was a former Ole Miss point guard?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    The last drafted player was Murphy in 2013. So that's at least two of Donovan teams and a few of his recruiting classes that didn't have a draft pick, which maybe speaks a little to the situation that White took over roster wise.

But it also shows that you don't need draft picks to compete considering we had a team in that stretch go 36-3 on their way to a Final Four.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GboroGator

GboroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I must have missed all those Gator NBA legends since the last championship team.

17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    A long time ago Tennessee basketball was very good every year and their head coach was Captain Ahab, er, Don DeVoe.

UT decided to fire him and hire Wade Houston who was a poor coach but more importantly he was the father of Alan Houston.

Tennessee basketball has suffered since. Any years of success with Bruce Pearl as coach have an asterisk because he was a cheat and a slime ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    I think Tennessee must be a pretty good basketball place to recruit —Memphis, Corey Brewer, Lee Humphrey

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    What the heck?? We *coddle* our coaching staffs? Say what??! Who’s been coddled - compared to Tennessee? (Some argued Butler, currently Burleigh).

One thing a program desires is coaching continuity. That’s a goal. You try for it for recruiting - as you’ve been able to identify: there are issues with recruiting at a coaching change.

• Like Like x 1
  20. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim Freshman

Mar 15, 2009
    I don’t give a crap about putting players in the league. I only want to win our league. Tennessee has a very good team this year and we could have beaten them last night. To quote Coach Norman Dale, “my team is on the floor.”
    This is what we have this year and I, for one, was proud of their effort last night. All of the posts complaining about White, his recruiting, his lack of a plan, yada yada yada is a waste of time. Coming after BD, I think he has done a fine job. You just can’t win it all every year; Kentucky, NC, Mich State don’t.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1