Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tennessee declares Nathan Bedford Forrest Day

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Jul 13, 2019.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatrpe

gatrpe Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Think we had one or more Florida schools named after him at one time.

3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Used to have one in Jax but it got renamed several years ago.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    In fairness, he is the last Tennessean to have teeth after he turned 23.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  5. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    I notice that our usual “you’re whitewashing history”, “racism doesn’t exist anymore” folks are conspicuously absent from this thread.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I wouldn’t expect anything less from Repubs. Next they’ll change the name from the Tennessee Volunteers to the Tennessee Klansmen.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He was still a Democrat. Lol... :eek::D;)

All kidding aside. I think California and now Tennessee are polar opposites that are moving in opposite directions.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Legend

Apr 25, 2011
    It sounds like one buffoon politician doing something stupid and culturally insensitive. Kind of like if Michael Scott was governor of Tennessee.

Wake me up when you have quotes of him and other Tennessee senators praising the KKK and saying we need to lynch the blacks. If you get that, then I’ll believe the liberals on the subject of racism.

• Like Like x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It is written into state law that the governor had to proclaim it, and they haven’t gotten rid of it.
    They all own accountability.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce GC Legend

Nov 21, 2018
    I'm confused? So because certain posters opposed the removal of Confederat war generals statues ... guys like General Lee... they are supposed to automatically agree with celebrating the head of the KKK? Or because certain posters think that there might be some value in remembering how things where and how we got to where we are that they should now be lumped in with the Racists?
    Broad strokes there my friends. Broad strokes.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce GC Legend

Nov 21, 2018
    They all who? All the citizens of Tennessee? All the governors that have let this go over the years? Who? I wouldnt be surprised if Florida has some heinous laws still on the books. I certainly wouldnt know. Is this a bad look? Yep. Should it be changed? Yep. So how does that happen? Over night? Next election? How?

12. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Legend

Apr 25, 2011
    Gotcha, I read the article and thought he had to pick 6 holidays to declare, and just happened to pick a holiday to honor this guy. So this actual day honoring this guy is embedded in the law. Makes sense.

I was in Tennessee this summer at a professional development event with some teachers and there are some backwater areas that are still very racist in Tennessee based on some of my conversations with the teachers there.

So I’ll concede racism is prevalent in some backwater areas of Tennessee, but this article by no means gets you all the way to the doctrines liberals believe about society as a whole and racism, where there is a cultural hegemony keeping black people and hispanics, gays, lesbians, and transgenders, and women down. Doesn’t even get close to proving that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    You are confused as to my point. You would think that there might be some universal condemnation regarding this and yet there really isn’t. Check up thread if you don’t believe me.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce GC Legend

Nov 21, 2018
    I hear you. But to be fair...there aren't a lot of libs here crying out about it either. It's stupid. It's not even racists at this point. Just dumb. Then again, its Tennessee.
    Of course up thread a lib poster did correlate it to all repubs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Fair enough but Selma, Alabama erected a statue of Nathan Bedford Forest in 2000. Does that make everyone in Alabama a racist? Of course not but there have been posters on this board say that racism and discrimination against women didn’t exist anymore. Clearly it does.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Pubs are the main ones prancing around here proclaiming libs want open borders and libs hate America and libs want felons to be free and libs want to take your guns and libs are this and libs are that...then they get mad when people correlate racist shit like this to Pubs. LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce GC Legend

Nov 21, 2018
    So you just join the group? I bet the number of repubs lumping all libs together is small...but thanks to you the number of libs doingbis at least one poster more. Nice job.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    All the above - the citizens for not forcing a change, legislators for not changing it forever ago, and governors like this one who can’t even come out and say it’s wrong.
    Just a terrible look for the state.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    It has to be changed by legislation.

Forrest also has a bust honoring him in the Tennessee state capital. The last Governor, a Republican, called for the removal of his bust in the state capital. The Republican competitors for his seat at the time, including the one that won, refused to do so. Other Republican elected officials voted against its removal.

The state legislature in Tennessee also punished Memphis for finding a way to get rid of a statue of him in Memphis. They cut some spending for a historical celebration in the city explicitly because they got rid of that statue and one to Jefferson Davis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Love the whataboutisms and shifts in topic. So, I will make it east for the conservative’s here. Here are your choices, and there are only two: 1) I don’t care if there is a law requiring this in Tennessee; the Governor is wrong to declare a day honoring a segregationist; or 2) I am going to find a whataboutism or some way to attack liberals as overreacting to the proclamation honoring a KKK guy or find something O think is comparable because I really can’t bring myself to type anything criticizing this without a limit.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1