Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

**Tennessee Coaching Buzz** Rocky Top is Heuped!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jan 18, 2021.

1. TWGator

TWGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Post press conference reception held at the local McDonald's.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    I don't understand why Heupel took the job, to me he has a better thing going at UCF! I think TN was fortunate to land him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He has that, "mom when you go out to Walmart again, can you get me some cheetos, like a bigger bag" look.

He has that, "I tried keeping my eye on him, but he's real damn quick" look.

He has that, "I swear I thought the money was there" look.

He's a perfect fit for their culture. These are great times

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. JHCRANE14

JHCRANE14 Sophomore

Aug 31, 2014
    Tennessee/Florida
    As a Tennessee fan I am moderately pleased by this. I think he is an upstanding man and I definitely believe he is a good offense mind.

If he can recruit and find a way to get a good defense I think we can be competitive.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    I am pretty sure I have seen Josh with a pinch between his lip and gum while on the sideline at UCF... he will fit right in on Rocky Top.

6. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Legend

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    He is not known as strong recruiter. He was fired from Oklahoma due to lackluster offensive play calling. His record has gotten worse each year as a HC at UCF, playing in a league where his school and team should be the creme de le creme.
    He is now playing against SEC school, with a team losing talent daily. With a team about be handed stiff sanctions over including scholarship loses and bowl bans. Hue owl will not see year five. And UT will be paying yet another buyout.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Nothing in his W-L record this year suggested he was on an upward trajectory despite having an experienced QB. It might have been the best timing he may ever have had to get a power 5 HC job.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Senior

Sep 25, 2016
    Heupel career:

-Oklahoma, GA for Bob Stoops.

-Arizona, TE coach for Mike Stoops. Arizona sucks, Mike eventually fired.

-Back to OU, Bob makes him OC. He sucks and gets fired.

-Utah State OC. 6-7 in one season, offense sucks.

-Mizzou OC. 11-14, offense continues to suck against anyone not named Vanderbilt or McElwain.

-Takes self-appointed National Champion UCF from 13-0 to 6-4.

LOL at Tennessee. This guy is a fraud. They’ll be looking for a new AD and HC in 3 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    smh

Tennessee: Josh Heupel is getting a six year contract that pays him $4 million per year.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I don't see the wisdom of this hire either, and it appears to be the result of Danny White not really having connections to land anyone better, combined with UT's current mess. Poor Dollies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
  12. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    Being that I grew up in Knoxville...NOT a fan of this hire at all.

13. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    What's the buy out when they fire him in two years?

14. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    This hire shows a lot of faith in Kevin Steele to pull out some games (or just desperation). I have to assume coming from UCF that Heupel is not in control of who his assistants will be, for good reason. However, it will set him up for long-term failure with a toxic culture he cannot change. This should be fun watching more years of devastation to the brand of Tennessee football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Maybe, but UCF got worse every year under him 12-1,10-3,6-4. A contrarian would point out that he was living off of Frost's recruits. Seems to be a great move by Heupel, gets out before it gets worse.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    I do think White & Co., realize this is NOT going to be a short turnaround situation. I believe the rational fans think the same. I do think UT has more of a long game in mind but getting through the "mess in the middle" will be tough. Will they stand behind him/them? I'd say yes if the Vols show some innovation in offense and some incremental progress. But if they do not see those things...it will be like the old HS cheer. U.G.L.Y...You ain't got no alibi.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep. Heupel is there to improve the look of the O and keep the seat warm for the next hire.

Good move on White's part by not letting the search devolve into the usual Vol cluster. Quick move to stop the bleeding and attractive to Heupel. The perpetually unrealistic Knight fans would have been running him out of OTown next year with anything less than 11-1 and a conference championship.

18. reptilenation

reptilenation Junior

Oct 12, 2013
    Pace, Fl
    I’m choosing to bite my lip on this. Being slightly superstitious I don’t want to bring any bad mojo our way. Could play out either way.

19. OB1

OB1 GC Legend

Sep 5, 2010
    User name definitely checks out!

20. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I love the hire for UcheaT - mediocrity is so becoming

• Funny Funny x 1