Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

**Tennessee Coaching Buzz III** Thread.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Nov 28, 2021.

1. swampzilla

swampzilla Freshman

Oct 20, 2016
    Alachua, FL
    There were several reasons he was fired, but the main one was because he made it obvious he didn't want to be here anymore.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Kuwait
    Beating Kentucky, South Carolina, and Missouri is an unrealistic expectation?

• Winner Winner x 10
  3. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    I don't think that he would have kept his job even if he had beaten Kentucky, South Carolina and Missouri.

Not without making major changes. And probably not even then.

The average Gator fan is not a very sophisticated sports fan. And does not understand that most football teams have down years.

For that matter, most SEC football fans are not very sophisticated sports fans.

They only understand winning and competing for titles. Which does not happen much at SEC teams not named Alabama.

You can tell that by the number of football vacancies at SEC schools every year.

Not a lot of patience for SEC fans when they are getting ragged at work by graduates from other SEC schools and they are losing their bets.

I actually think those two reasons are the principal problem. They hate to have to pay off their bets at work when they lose and it is even worse when they have to pay off the local bookies and the online service.

That is what has really escalated the rage of SEC football fans and alums.

Gambling has had a major effect upon college football programs.

People are stupid. Never bet on anything that breathes.

And certainly do not bet anything that you cannot afford to lose.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    • Creative x 2
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    I do not think that you can make a very good argument for that. That is another rumor started by disgruntled fans.

I am a trained psychologist and nothing that Mullen said or did indicated that he did not want to be at UF.

People are funny. They always rationalize what they want to believe not what is accurate based upon observation.

That is why people have to be trained to be accurate observers and remove all bias.

The average person just does not want to do that. They love their cherished beliefs too much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    Based upon the responses to Lame Kitten on GC a lot of football fans would. Winning trumps everything with most football fans.

6. charliecasey

charliecasey All American

Feb 8, 2017
    Since the Riley announcement, there has been a run on used couches in Knoxville. None to be found on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, thrift stores or the local Salvation Army. Lulu and Jr. have set up a couch donation site outside of Neyland.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    I added "collective". Good catch.

8. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    The regular Florida fans and posters on message boards had absolutely nothing to do with Dan Mullen being fired. This was a calculated business decision by the UAA and the big money behind it all. D1 athletics, especially in the SEC, is a multi-million dollar business and football is the engine that drives the train. There was something wrong in the football program and it was getting worse. Yes, we won the East last year and had the most prolific offense in the history of the school. And yet we lost 4 games and ended the season on a very sorry note in the Cotton Bowl. This season was a disaster and recruiting was in the toilet. In fact Mullen's recruiting classes every year were pretty much middle of the pack in the SEC and this year we were ranked near the bottom when he was fired. During his tenure at UF Mullen signed two 5 star players, while Georgia signed 20. That don't cut it. Mullen was hired to bring Gator football back to the glory years of Spurrier and Meyer and it was obvious that was not going to happen. We were regressing and his quirky, sometimes idiotic, personality didn't help. Nor did his failure to address coaching and recruiting deficiencies. I remember when Will Muschamp was hired it was touted as a real coup for UF because he was the coach-in-waiting at Texas and was perceived to be the next big thing in D1 coaching circles. McElwain was an obvious misfit almost from the beginning. Mullen was thought by the vast majority of people, myself included, to be THE answer. He clearly wasn't and it was Dan Mullen who did himself in, IMO. Will Billy Napier be the guy to bring back the glory years? Who knows? I hope so, but what I do know is that posters on message boards will not decide whether or not he stays for the long term. It will be the results he delivers on the field and the way he handles himself as CEO of the football program. We all like to think we have influence and input into what goes on with UF athletics. We're nothing but a group of people who loves our Gators and like to vent, debate, share opinions and argue about things in which we have minimal inside knowledge. And that's fine. That's what these boards are for. I enjoy reading most posts and sharing my opinions as well as the next guy. We sure kill a lot of time doing that, don't we? What does that say about our psychological make-up, yours included?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. OrmondGator

OrmondGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    ^^ This. Everything else is for entertainment purposes only (and click generation).

10. icequeen_

icequeen_ All American

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Did they train you to read body language? Because his own body language read as a guy who simply didn't want to be here anymore.

Fans have expectations. Were you not around when we won not 1, not 2, but 3 football national championships? Did you miss the several SEC championships?

WE have expectations because we have a higher standard. If you like being a .500 team or a perennial 4th-whatwever in the SEC EAST (let alone sniff at competing for an SEC championship, or glimpse a playoff spot), by all means go cheer for Vandy, Missouri or South Carolina. Better yet find a low tier ACC or Sun Belt team.

Everything Mullen showed us screamed of someone who didn't want to be here or try. You want better language of "I don't care?" He didn't even fight to coach his seniors in their last game in The Swamp.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. OrmondGator

Apr 9, 2007
    Agree. To go a little further... UF fans have higher expectations than most because HBC at UF is a "Tier 1" destination job. That's really not debatable. Acknowledged by basically every analyst and evidenced by the financial resources poured into the program. Boosters pay a lot. The UAA spends a lot. The job of HBC at UF is one of the best in the nation.

Realistic Expectations at UF are different than Realistic Expectations at Ole Miss etc. Granted there have been times in the history of our program where fan expectations became "Unrealistic" (back end of the Spurrier era; same RE Meyer .... and you can see similar issues at Bama right now...)

But the expectations of the Mullen era were not unrealistic. The program was not competitive on the recruiting trail, and once it became uncompetitive on the field (2-6 SEC is NEVER acceptable) the end needed to come sooner than later.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. persuader

persuader GC Legend

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    Dan Mullen was fired because of “unreasonable expectations”?
    If so, what were those expectations and who had them?

13. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    But can a tooth gnash solo? o_O

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    The expectations were that Mullen would instantly win the SEC and NCs. That is obvious. Most Gator fans think that we should win NCs every year. And that is unreasonable. The SEC and national landscape has changed. Meyer noted that when he left UF.

I know very few Gator fans who do not expect NCs every year. Most will even tell you that.

That is way too obvious.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't be absurd...the only thing you are proving is that you don't understand the big picture here. The downward arc (locker room, recruiting, on field performance) was clearly the concern and ultimate reason for a coaching change. Given that the overwhelming % of the fan base was happy after the first 2 seasons, neither of which produced a national, SEC, or even East Division title instantly disproves your "instantly win the SEC's and NC's" silliness. In fact, the overwhelming sense was positive even after a close loss to Bama this season....largely because the team looked to be playing well.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  16. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    That is complete nonsense. Anyone knows that reading body language is close to reading Tarot cards for accuracy.

Every psychologist gets an introduction in body language but it is still a very weak area.

And the average person knows nothing about body language.

No court of law would accept a body language appraisal as being accurate. Way too much of an in`exact science.

And Mullen certainly did not indicate any such thing. I have talked to him many times and it is obvious that he wanted to remain the coach at UF.

What do you want to do - cry? Beg for his job?

Gator fans come up with the most nonsense to buttress their weak rationalizations.

We have a bunch of spoiled fans that have never been successful at an athletic event in their lives.

The same people accuse Mike White of not caring which is ridiculous.

Of course every time that Alabama loses their fans claim that Saban does not care about winning.

Please don't come on here with that garbage.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. OrmondGator

Apr 9, 2007
    Sounds like you don't know many Gator fans. Or you're 12.......

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Alright...im convinced now that themosticles has returned under a different name.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. partdopy

partdopy GC Legend

Feb 1, 2012
    I can assure you that the UAA is not in the business of firing coaches because some fans are unhappy. They're in the business of making money.

In short, Mullen was fired because the UAA figures they'll make more money with a different person leading the football program.

Although you're trying to make other people look unsophisticated and dumb here it is you who missed the simple point that college football, like anything else, is a business.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    No they were not happy with the first two years. You obviously do not have any grasp of the situation.

Useless rationalizations and accusations mean nothing.

Mullen has never recruited well at UF. At least up to some people's standards.

And last year we played for the SEC championship and came within 6 points of being SEC champs.

Where is this downward arc. There is no downward arc. We had a rebuilding year because we had little chance to break in a new QB. We were trying to win. Which we had done for three years.

There have been rumblings every year.

And if there was no one upset why would anyone be upset with one down year.

Even an idiot knows better than to complain about one year. Practically anyone knows that is stupid.

Gator fans were screaming after the Bowl loss to Oklahoma when all of our receiving corps took off to get ready for the NFL draft.

It only took one game for people to start complaining.

Your argument holds no water at all.

I have two doctorates from an Ivy League school in mathematics and psychology. I have also been a teacher and coach for over 40 years (and that includes football) so I am very familiar with the antics of football fans. They have gotten many a coach fired with little if any justifications.

Many Gator fans are some the worst. Most Gator fans are not very knowledgeable but they know how to steal others' thoughts to express their illegitimate feelings.

People want to be part of a winner so they can feel like a winner. It is that simple. Just go to any Alabama football board after a loss or a close game. I used to watch the Bear Bryant show when I was a kid and it is was high comedy after a loss or tough game.

Just as it is on Gator Country. Not much difference really. The Gator board MIGHT be a little more education but that is about it. They are comical.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1