Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tell us something we don’t know....

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, May 4, 2018.

1. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    As someone who loves Porsches and has been to the 12 Hours at Sebring many times, I'm infinity jealous of this.

got pics of the 356? Is that the cabriolet?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Yea but you have Minnesota food to compare that to. We have fresh fish in Florida.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Have you ever had walleye from the cold waters of the north? Damned good eating fish. Not quite as good as grouper, but when I am up visiting family north of Green Bay I always have some.

And pan-fried brook trout is amazing. Pond raised trout isn't so good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    True - our food offerings are limited outside the twin cities, which are quite diverse. I lived in FL for 25 yrs, though, and while I love a good mahi, grouper, etc., would trade it all for Taiwan's food.

5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Agree. Thai food is great. There was always a great Thai restaurant near Air Force bases, as so many service folks married Thai women back in the day. Thai restaurants are trying to appeal to more Americans now and removing some of the hot spice that made the food so delicious, but still much more tasty than Chinese food

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I was actually referring to Taiwanese food. Thai food might even be up the ladder a bit. Things about many of the Asian cuisines: 1) FRESH prepared - very little processed 2) great varieties of veggies + fish + meats
    I take a walk every morning at 6am and get to smell the streets waking up. So many little noodle, sandwich, etc. shops. Just endless and again, everything is cooked fresh on the spot.

7. harnettgator

harnettgator Moderator VIP Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Completely agree CCH! We need pictorial proof of your ownership @Bazza! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    No I have not , but knowing you , as the culinary expert I trust you.

9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Does @Bazza have insurance @harnettgator ? That’s kind of an inside joke thing in Diamond Gators

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    That sounds fun !

• Like Like x 1
  11. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    You planning on keeping that joke on the "inside" or you gonna let the rest of in on it? :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    CCH---

Sunroof coupe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got lucky and was able to get it on eBay from a seller in Ft. Lauderdale who listed it on eBay with a reasonable BIN price. I got it before any bids were placed and took a greyhound bus down to drive her home.

There's more to the story. The auction didn't mention it had a sunroof....and only had a couple pics. I found that out later. Also, the engine was being rebuilt when the seller started the auction. He didn't realize someone would hit the BIN button so quickly. So it took an extra week or two before I could get her, but she has a freshly rebuilt engine.

I don't ever see myself selling her - even though their values have gone up like crazy. She's a lot of fun to drive and reminds me of my Dad who also brought one home in the 60's. That one was a '63 356B 1600 Super black over red coupe.

Here I am at Sebring in my '81 SC......and I also have a '72 914 2.0 Silver on Black with factory fuel injection. :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I have 2 outdoor kiddles.......they keep me company while working in the garden or other outdoor projects. Started off as a litter of 4 babies I discovered in my side yard and now we're down to just 2 brothers. Here's "Banjo" and the other one is "Tucker".

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Bazza during baseball games , with the Gators leading will always pronounce “ we need some insurance runs”! Kinda funny ,in the moment thing.
    Ironically I have moved to his county in Daytona Beach. Hope to meet the Bazz some day ...

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Look forward to it, Wing. Maybe later in the summer when things slow down for me. Look forward to it!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    Wow @Bazza! Those are some gorgeous German (or I guess Austrian/German) vehicles!!! :emoji_heart_eyes::emoji_heart_eyes::emoji_heart_eyes:
    I have used and have certainly overused the "Best Post Ever" rating during my GC time, but I feel confident in my rating of your post above. Very, very nice, and thanks for sharing with us!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Sounds like you know your history of this marque, @harnettgator - I'm impressed!

My cars are all "drivers" and probably wouldn't represent well at a car show. For example....at some point before I owned her, someone keyed the passenger side of the red car. It doesn't bother me - in fact, it provides an opportunity for a "jealous lover" story...ha ha.

At the end of the day they are all just material things and the older I get the less I really care, to be honest. The best life has to offer is in nature and in kindness where you can find it.

Thanks for your generous comments.....my best to you and the doctor! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    Well... I am not too sure if I can follow all of these, "Car-Love" stories, even though I owned a 1998 Cobra Mustang 501 that was smoking hot. Got it jacked up at a speed shop and the baby would get to 80 mph in second gear!
    Okay...as a professional (harmonica) musician, I have had the opportunity to perform with some "greats" over the years as a "side man." I don't want to mention a bunch of names but one name that many here would NOT likely know is: David "Honeyboy" Edwards.
    "Honeyboy" was the man that performed next to the great Robert Johnson on that night in Greenwood, Mississippi in which Johnson was poisoned by a bar owner. This was a man who knew all of the "Blues Greats" such as Howlin' Wolf, Charley Patton, Pinetop Perkins, Muddy Waters, Otis Redding, Ike Turner and the great, Willie Dixon, who wrote, "Whole Lotta Love."

My band opened for "Honeyboy" at the, "Delta Blues Hall of Fame Stage" in Clarksdale, Mississippi. Got a chance to meet and talk to him. Nicest, most humble guy in the world. No ego...
    He died in 2011...
    See: David "Honeyboy" Edwards - Wikipedia

PS: Oh... my wife and I went on a self-guided, "Blues Highway Tour" back in 2011. For ANYONE who loves music and wants to know how our American Rock and Roll got its start, it influence... you need to do this.
    See: The Blues
    Rock Greats such as Robert Plant, Eric Clapton, The Stones and others all attribute their styles from the Blues Masters. Plant, Clapton and Frampton all have and continue to visit these sites.
    Learn about Highway 61, the, "Blues Highway."
    Anyway, while we were down in Hazelhurst, Mississippi, we were researching out some history of Robert Johnson and where he started playing as a young boy on the steps of the courthouse in that city. We were able to get the clerks at the courthouse to tell us that Robert Johnson actually had a son and that he was still alive. His name was Claude Johnson.
    We never knew this. In fact, how many Classic Rock fans out there even knows that Johnson had a son??
    My wife and I were able to track him down in Crystal Springs, just 12 miles north of Hazelhurst.
    Met him at his beautiful home and he took us for a bit of a tour around town, etc.
    Very nice man.
    (A little note: Claude's father, Robert Johnson had very long fingers (check out the photo on the webpage). This allowed him to hit obscure note on a guitar. When I checked out Claude's hands... same thing... very long fingers!)
    Claud Johnson, son and sole heir of legendary bluesman, dies at 83

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Those are awesome. And a great story to boot! I grew up in a Porsche household with my dad having a few 911s over the years. I don't own a Porsche quite yet, but I did go German and bought a 73' VW Thing recently. It's such a blast to drive. 20180427_172327.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  20. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Drove a pink "Thing" in Acapulco (Las Brisas) on honeymoon in the 80's (when it was safe to be there). When the local buses didn't like where you parked they just pushed it to a new spot. Was hilarious, since I didn't own the vehicle :D

• Funny Funny x 1