Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Tell us about yourself

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by lacuna, Feb 16, 2020.

1. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    As a community of Internet friends we are drawn together by our mutual interest in the University of Florida and Gator sports. We know some things about each other as many of us have revealed and shared personal things about our lives and families. There are probably other things we have not previously shared or may not be known to Pub denizens more recently arrived. This thread is an opportunity to tell us a bit more about yourself. Perhaps how you found this site and why you post or read the threads - if you are a lurker, we would like to hear from you. Tell us something we may not know.

I've been pretty much an open book , but I'll start with something many of you probably do not know. I drove an 18 wheeler for Covenant Transport for about 6 months in 2000. A team driver with Guess Who, who also drove for about 10 months. And one more - I was a cocktail waitress at Dubs before Tom Petty's band was hired as house band by Dub Thomas. I started posting on the Pub in May 2002 with a different username - PosterGirl. I liked the irony.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    -I lurked here for about five years before I started posting.
    -I taught 11 years in the classroom before making the switch to virtual school.
    -I coached middle school football for a couple of years years. One of my linebackers is a middle reliever for the Mets. My TE was drafted in the 7th round of the NFL draft. My QB is currently the started QB at a Group of 5 school. My RB played in the short lived AAFL. And we won 1 game in two years. That is when I decided I had better not coach anymore.
    -My grandfather was transferred from Naval Station Subic Bay in the Phillipines to Lee Field (later NS Green Cove Springs). His direct superior got lush accommodations aboard the USS Oklahoma at Pearl Harbor.
    -My grandfathers grandfather enlisted in the US Navy in 1862. He spoke no English, having arrived from Germany in 1861. He left the US Navy just after the Spanish American War in 1899. He spoke only nautical English.
    -One more: I didn’t get in to the University of Florida out of high school.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I have been on here since 1996
    I have been in the construction industry for 34 years
    Born and raised in Merritt Island currently live in Orlando
    Went to Florida Air Academy in Melbourne Fl. UF then UCF
    Played football from peewee to semi pro

• Like Like x 4
  4. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    From suburban Minny Apple. (Minneapolis). Played football, baseball and wrestling in HS, and wrestled my first year in college at St. Cloud State in MN. My knee and neck told me to stop wrestling and I had an older brother who was at UF and invited me down. Twist my freaking arm, I am SO there. Been a Gator ever since. After graduation, I got a job in Orlando in the mortgage business as a loan originator. I swiched to appraisal as some of my UF buddies were appraisers and it seemed like a better fit. My GF in college was a world class water skier and she got me hooked (among other things wink wink nudge nudge). I got a triumphant return :Do_O to Gainesville due to a job transfer in 2009 and have been here ever since.

• Like Like x 2
  5. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    What schools did you go to in Merritt island?

• Like Like x 1
  6. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I got to Gator Country years ago through Swampie's Rumor Mill. Grew up in Clermont Fla pre Mouse, played all the sports, the school was that tiny :). Graduated from UF in '69 with a BS in Journalism, had fantastic teachers, Pulitzer prize winning editorial writers, Editors from the Chicago Trib and Stars &Stripes. Now retired enjoying life in the scrub just south of MacIntosh/Micanopy my hobbies are collecting plants and GatorSports.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Lewis Carrol for elementary and Jefferson for Jr High

• Like Like x 1
  8. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I went to Jefferson Jr High in the mid 70s

• Like Like x 2
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I was born in Iowa (nobody's perfect) and lived across the Mississippi in Illinois until I was uprooted to Naples, FL as a teenager. Went to UF as a Civil Engineering major for about six weeks before realizing that it was not to be my future. Calculus & Chem SUCKED, but playing music was just right. Hopefully, I could be happy as a music teacher? Several more years of college + 10 yrs of public school teaching and the career has led me to northern MN. Met my wife during the second tour at UF.

Fun fact: I worked as a Toy Soldier/trumpet player at Disney during holidays in the early 90s. While teaching school, I played in the Festhaus at Busch Gardens, Tampa. Will save my audition story for another thread. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    So did my Sister she graduated from MI in 79

11. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    I grew up in Jacksonville, attended Lee, class of '70 (so my 50th reunion is in April)

Went to work for CSX in 1973, transferred to Waycross, Ga, in 1984. I was transferred again in 1995 to Corbin, KY and back to Jacksonville in 1995 and to Waycross again in 1996.

In 2000 I started having some mild seizures and the RR retired me in 2001.

I started hanging around GC in 2000 and started moderating in 2001. Ray started using me for some small projects in 2002 and I have just done what I do now since 2006.

I had aortic valve replaced in 2001 and again in 2018. I have had tissue valves applied both times. The mechanical valve would have lasted longer but because of my seizure history they could not do that because I would have had to go on blood thinners.

I have been married for 45 years and we have two sons, both in ministry. We have five grandchildren including Grace who was adopted out of China in 2013.

One son lives in the Paris, TN area and the other lives in Kansas City, KS.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Having lived in C-Town for 15 years, I can imagine how awesome it must have been to grow up there pre growth. Go Highlanders! And the Clermont chain of lakes, well, don't get me started. :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    It was a hamlet back then 3k in the summer, 5500 when the snowbirds arrived
    Citrus was the economic engine and the lakes were full of bass and bream in the warm months and spec in the cooler ones
    Started writing HS Sports for a weekly paper as a Jr in HS had fabulous English teachers and have found writing outlets in all my work iterations including a 4 or 5 year stint writing and editing a bi-weekly Newsletter on Florida Politics

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

• Live in Pittsburgh, Pa since 2006, moved form Jupiter, Fla after the hurricanes in the the early 2000's
    • From Coral Springs, graduated from JP Taravella HS 1984 and played Football(LB and guard on O) .
    • My Dad ran the PeeWee league in Coral Springs from 1980-83
    • Went to UF 1985-89 after a short stint at Wisconsin. Graduated after making it through McCullough's Finance 3101 class.
    • Divorced in 2011, ex-wife from Lake Worth, FL. kidlets, 24 and 19, 24 year old married living near Gettysburg, PA and son at Indiana University of Pa(but wears his Gator gear around campus)
    • Own an IT consulting firm and doing pretty darn well
    • Have a some weird hobbies like having my own paranormal investigation group and have like to go on psychedelic retreats and try each of the worlds psychedelics(Ibgoga, Ayahausca, Peyote)
    Been around since the Solari BBS days back in 1995

• Like Like x 5
  15. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I took McCullough's finance class as well. Learned a lot, and not just from the material. He played hard ball for real.

16. scrappygator

scrappygator Moderator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I was born in Chattanooga, we moved back and forth from Tennessee to Ojus (west of Aventura on Dixie Hwy), my 3-6th grades. My father bought 20 acres sight unseen, in Ruskin for $100 dollars an acre in the late 1950's. Best investment he ever made. Much later I-75 bisected it from NE to SW.
    I lived outside of Ruskin grades 7-12 and graduated from East Bay High in '63,
    Enrolled at UF and spent 1 night in Hume Hall, and then let a friend of mine talk me into going to a small Baptist college in Hattiesburg, MS. I know, who does that? But, I have 4 great children, and 6 wonderful grandchildren, so far.
    We call the children, our 4 'only' children (2 different mothers)-3 daughters, 48, Memphis, Industrial Eng.;38, New Orleans, RN; 33, Ponchatoula, LA, Realtor, and Entrepreneur. Each have 2 children, 4 boys and 2 girls, 18, 16, 11, 10, 10, and 2.
    My youngest daughter is officially a step-daughter, but not in my heart, as I have had her 30 years.
    1 son, 25-graduated UF last May as an Environmental Engineer (I feel vindicated) and just started a job with Marion County Utilities in Belleview.
    I was a band director for 4 years; draft made me run to Air Force OTS, trained as a navigator and flew the F-4 Phantom on active duty; RF-4 Phantom in the Alabama National Guard; C-130 Hercules in the Mississippi Air Guard; and spent the last 9 years in the USAFR as an Air Force Academy Liaison Officer. Retired in 1994.
    Went to Ole Miss for 2 years for sciences, then Dental School, and practiced for 21 years in Tylertown, and Ocean Springs, MS.
    Came back to Florida in 2003, and helped dentists sell their practices for 7 years.
    Retired after that. Was in Ocala at that time.
    Moved to Gainesville 2.5 years ago, and currently do volunteering, and drive Uber and LYFT, when I am not at Gator sporting events.

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Wow - great post. First, thank you for your service. Second, your story hits close to home. I started my career teaching in Ruskin in 1996. Worked there for nine years and saw many of my students at East Bay - playing in band and singing in choir. I lived in Brandon for two years, then bought a house in Apollo Beach. Where did you teach? It's great to hear not only from a Ruskin resident, but a music teacher. Had some great years down there.

• Like Like x 3
  18. scrappygator

scrappygator Moderator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I taught in Mississippi. I was in the band and chorus at East Bay in 1959-1963 under George Wagner, long before you were there. Some good memories there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I did a lot of the design work on Nevillewood Country Club in Pittsburgh. It has a Nicklaus signature on it but we did most of the design work onsite after the woods were cleared enough to get real topo. Worked for Nicklaus design for 5 years after college. Now do civil engineering and chair an architectural review board for our city.

Family goes back in Middleburg to early 1800's. family was heavily into logging and pulpwood work. sheered off many a pine tree at Camp Blanding and surrounding timber lease areas. I was first one in my family to ever go to college, Mom was first one in the immediate family to ever graduate high school. Grandfather ran the garage at Camp Blanding during WW2 since he had polio and couldn't join military. Commuted from Middleburg my first two years while working full time for McCumber Group. Worked my way through college building golf courses during the summers and hustling in hogtown during the school year working for moving companies (Mayflower, United), carrying lumber for 84 lumber, and shucking oysters at CJ's among the taxpaying hustles I had.

Wife, 3 kids (21, 19, 16), and a golden retriever. Love to travel, hobbies are fishing, photography, football, diving, and travel hacking.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    My parents were born in Iowa and went to the University of Iowa where they met. And the rest is history! :)

Were you born in Bettendorf or Davenport perhaps? :)

• Like Like x 1