Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Televangelist Jim Bakker has the $125 Coronavirus cure

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    I mentioned your children perhaps in error. If you look at statistics the young aren't believers. That was the point I make. I assume based on your statements that your dad is an admirable man. I also assume your kids are decent people. Whether they believe the church nonsense isn't part of you having a good family.

2. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Blondin's feats are an illustration of trust. I likely would not have gotten in the wheelbarrow either, Blondin was mortal, not SuperMan.

Its absence in the people watching that day in the stories is illustrative of misdirected evangelicals who trumpet their faith, then proclaim and support DJT, a morally and ethically challenged individual, as 'chosen' or ordained by God for the presidency. I ask - where is their faith - faith and trust God can accomplish better without their destructive and hypocritical assistance in electing such a flawed, clay footed man?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Because it shows you don't respect faith. You disdain it.
    Your post history ...and this very quote...proves you don't respect it as you claimed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    I dont respect faith true. It's not good for anything. I do respect people though whether they think faith has value or not.

5. tilly

Your statistics that say the "young aren't believers" is questionable number one. Christianity is growing. Just not at the same pace it once was. This idea that it is shrinking is far fetched.

There are hundreds of kids in our kids church youth group alone. That is one church, in one city. And many of them come WITHOUT their parents. My kids chose to attend. (It is not a part of our home church, and we have never required our kids take part.) They asked to go and we worked out the schedule to make it work.

Your weird hope that American youth will hate religion in 20 years is weird. Our churches are not empty. They are not old, they are full of Millennial's and teens. You have a narrative that reality is not showing. Old traditional religion is dying. But fresh functional Christianity is growing. The faith that leads us to cloth, feed, fight, search for justice. That Christianity is very appealing to our kids.

Yes many kids stray from their faith. As I did. But many also never do, and many who do return.
    It is not an accident that many of the largest relief organizations are funded and footed by Christians.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tilly

How can you say that my faith is not good for me? Who are you to make that decision?

7. tilly

Food for thought Lacuna. Food for thought.

8. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    Faith is believing without evidence. I am a person who values sound decision making. Faith is not useful in sound decision making.

9. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    Do I need to find the statistics again? Do I need to find articles stating how churches are being repurposed? Your faith in christianities growth is not well placed.

I took 10 seconds and found a gallop poll. U.S. Church Membership Down Sharply in Past Two Decades

Tell me about your anecdotes about church membership growing. Europe is almost completely secular. America is maybe a generation behind.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  10. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    Oh and here I have copied a table from the same poll that show that once again i am right that the young are leading the exodus from faith.
    Changes in Church Membership by Generation, Over Time
    1998-2000 2016-2018 Change
    %
    % pct. pts.
    Traditionalists (born in 1945 or before)
    77 68 -9
    Baby boomers (born 1946-1964) 67 57 -10
    Generation X (born 1965-1979) 62 54 -8
    Millennials (born 1980-2000) n/a 42 n/a

11. tilly

• You are equating church "membership" to some tangible data.
    • Many modern churches have moved away from (unbiblical) covenant type membership.
    • Many modern Christians use the Acts type of unification meeting in small groups in homes etc.
    • And more than 70% of Europeans identify as Christian.
    • And I can cite multiple huge building projects in my city alone and zero abandoned. I know many churches that are adding 3rd and 4th services.
    • My inlaws church is doubling the size of the buildings and adding services.
    • Church membership is a dying thing as many of us have stopped putting our stake in the ground at one location and think on a more global scale.

12. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    So you didnt read the Gallup's poll? It refutes everything you say. You are entitled to your own beliefs you aren't entitled to your own facts.

13. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    So you dont have tangible numbers but you have faith that even though people dont go to church they still believe in god. People are identifying as christian but they aren't. It is basically the same as a jewish person saying that they believe and are members of the culture. The same thing happens in europe. Although 70 percent say they are christian. When asked only about a quarter of the people believe in the god of the bible. They claim to being spiritual or believe in a higher power. Try reading what pew says about their follow up questions. Being Christian in Western Europe

14. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Who are you to say and by what authority dare to declare people who don't attend church are not Christian? It's attitudes like this that drive some Christians out of churches that teach rigid or legalistic doctrines.

15. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    I took numbers from studies done in europe. People identify as xtian but dont believe in the god of the bible. How can you be xtian if you dont believe in the divinity of christ?

I also dont believe in Santa Claus and the Easter bunny. Am I wrong to question adults who claim they do?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    How? You're beginning to sound like a fundamentalist or 2 who formerly posted here. After studying the original Greek and comparing words in a number of biblical contexts and translations, I came to the conclusion the doctrines of the virgin birth and the divinity of Christ were formed at a later date when the early church fathers made the decisions and proclamations on what Christians were required to believe to be identified as a follower of the Christ. I disagree with their conclusions and doctrines, but it hasn't prevented me from being a follower. I have faith in the authenticity and truth of what Jesus taught, not in doctrinal beliefs contrived by procurers[?] I think the language of many translations reflects or affirms doctrines established in the 3 or 4th centuries before the New Testament canon was compiled and approved. I think it more likely or possible some writings were included in the canon because they affirmed establishment doctrines.

Jesus warned his followers to beware of those (pharisees) who would lay religious burdens and requirements on their disciples. He saw them as unnecessary. Today's Christian denominations have their own requirements to lay upon members. Mostly they are burdens of correct belief. They teach only members who have confessed the 'correct' and required beliefs will go to heaven when they die. I can't, don't, won't believe these Pharisiaical like burdens of belief and gratefully recognize it has not robbed me of my faith in the authenticity of what Jesus taught.

You can question whoever you want with whatever question, but recognize there are difference enough to make the comparison ridiculous and you will be the recipient of pushback when you step on toes as you have more than a time or two on Too Hot threads.

Your animosity towards faith or religion appears to primarily encompass the Judeo Christian expressions as your targets always seem to be biblically based religions or religious practices. Perhaps I've missed others.

• Like Like x 1
  17. tilly

I did read it.

I also know that many Christians do not claim to be church "members" these days. How do you quantify that? I don't really consider myself a church "member" at this point as we have ties to 3 churches in different capacities.

Many mellinials are not "members" of a church and many prefer small group type organization. There is no data for that. But I know it is a huge unidentified number.

Church "membership" is actually a concept that many Christian's are (rightfully) beginning to question from a biblical perspective.

There are churches out there that dont even emphasize "membership" at all like they once did.

But Christianity is a growing number worldwide. Not by percentage perhaps, but in raw numbers. As is Islam.

Faith is not going away and it is just a weird wish on your part to say that by the time I am retired Christianity will be basically dead.

Multiple civilizations have tried to wipe it out for thousands of years. It flourishes in such climates. (See China today). The underground church is spreading there.

18. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    I reject all faith and beliefs. Here I typically reject only xtianity. No one here to my knowledge believes in zoroastrianism. I would spend time denouncing there faith to if anyone professed their belief in it.

19. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    Well in thirty years one of us will be more right than the other. I am willing to bet on me.

20. tilly

The Romans thought the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.