Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Televangelist Jim Bakker has the $125 Coronavirus cure

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    My vitriol as you call it is based on the crap his parents sold. My disdain I feel for him is the crap he was selling 20 years ago in Atlanta. He may have seen the light of the darkness he was preaching then. But come on his mom and dad sold crap. His sister sells crap and he sold twenty years ago a different flavor of crap.

I have been served enough crap in my life. I dont care to eat another helping to realize that a crap peddler is seeking something other than crap.

I know that you tilly have known good religious people. I have no qualms with them but I am not buying crap from a family of crap peddlers, when I saw with my own two eyes, this scumbag selling a different flavor of crap.

I get that your dad or grandad was a very good person but he was still selling crap.

2. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    Your saying that you doubt that I researched this crap is insulting. I dare anybody on this sight to go head to head with me on any of the nonsense you take on faith. Faith is not the pathway to knowledge it's the pathway to conning the gullible.

3. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Many have sight on faith, but not all on this site :(

4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

But saying my dad sells crap is not an insult?
    Just own your bigotry man.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. tilly

They are all the same to Dan. He has his self identified reason on his side and there is no positive quality to faith in his opinion.
    Forget the hungry that are fed, the addicted that are rehabilitated, The lives that are changed etc. The
    He was clearly deeply hurt by someone who misrepresented Christ at some point.

I don't blame Dan. I blame the poorly lived Christian faith by many (Like Jim Bakker) that led him there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    I honestly don't think anything is served by continuing this conversation but seriously look at the facts without any bias. I am not wrong here.

7. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    Your dad I believe is a good man looking out for his flock but what he is preaching is absolute crap. I am sorry that he and you can't see that. I am winning the fight over time. Cling to your faith for as long as you get comfort from it, but twenty years from now they will think of your faith as about the same thing as witches.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2020
  8. tilly

Those portraying bigotry rarely think they are.

• Like Like x 2
  9. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    And those backing religiousnzealots who scam members never are aware of the nonsense they are backing. I hope your kids or grandkids are kind to you in the future.

10. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Religion in it's basest form is used to con the gullible. Its procurers sell formulas and future rewards and teach their adherents or disciples they must believe whatever doctrines are taught, that only doctrinally approved correct belief will permit them the right to atttain the post death reward of heaven.

True faith starts and ends beyond belief. Faith is believing and trusting the truth of what the Master teaches, or taught. Recognition that the rewards of faith are not some future post death pearly gate reward, but the realization that living a life based on faith brings tangible rewards in the here and now for those who have the faith to believe and trust those precepts are true, and intentionally and authentically follow them. There is a HUGE difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    I am not certain where you were disagreeing with me. I respect everyone's beliefs. while I remain incredulous that people believe faith is a path to truth.

12. tilly

No one in my family scammed anyone. My dad lives in a house smaller than almost everyone I know and has given up entire paychecks to keep the lights on at his little church in an effort to keep the food pantry open. And my kids are amazing. They see the great sacrifice their grandfather lives every day living a TRUE life of Christ. Your mentioning them is that context is evil.
    Your ignorance of most truthful believers is not my problem.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. tilly

You realize you have a searchable post history right Dan?

• Like Like x 1
  14. tilly

What is my dad preaching Dan?

He detests the prosperity (Jim Bakker) types.
    He detests that some Christianity only singles out certain sins that it feels deem more singling out.
    His small church runs one of the largest food pantries in our city, and no restrictions of any kind are placed on who they serve.
    He is a licensed counselor with a long list of marriages restored and suicidal lives saved.

The only one spouting crap is you.

...and I didn't have to look far in your search history to show you do not respect "everyone's beliefs".

• Like Like x 1
  15. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    You have it backwards, Dan truth is a path to faith.

Here is a more tangible demonstration. Do you know the story of Blondin? He was a 19th century French tightrope walker who stunned his audience by performing astounding stunts on the wire. His story, though true and documented, has reached mythic proportions and some of the stories are likely apocryphal as there are slight differences.

The recorded story says Blondin crossed the Niagara Falls several times. Stopping to do a back flip, crossing on stilts, pausing to fry an egg, pushing a wheelbarrow full of different things. The applause and adulation of the crowd left no doubt as to their belief in what the were seeing. At the end of one crossing he asked if they believed he could wheel a person across in his wheelbarrow and the crowd affirmed their belief it could be done. Blondin then asked for a volunteer to step in - and there were no takers, only silence.

One of the stories says Blondin's mother got in and he pushed her successfully across. Another has his agent taking the ride. No doubt you can find all of the variations on the 'Net. But the overall point underscores the difference between mere belief and having faith - or trust - enough to act upon what you believe.

Allowing yourself to be tripped up by your contempt for anything that is even remotely connected to faith, you miss the deeper truths found through expectant exploration of the possibility. I'm not insulted by your indictments and conclusions. I hope for you.

The "Great Blondin", the tightrope walker... - RareNewspapers.com

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    I would say Tilly's father is in the wheel barrow.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    More on Blondin:
    https://www.historytoday.com/archive/blondin’s-first-tightrope-walk-across-niagara-falls
    "Blondin’s first crossing of the Niagara Falls, in 1859, was the most famous feat in a life packed with them and like all the others was painstakingly prepared, organised and exploited for maximum publicity. He took care to enlist the support of the Niagara Falls Gazette which at first thought it was a hoax and then decided he was mad but went along anyway. Newspapers all over the country were soon interested. The rival Niagara Mail was sarcastic in its coverage and the New York Times said Blondin was a fool who ought to be arrested, but posters and handbills boosted the excitement. The railway companies laid on special trains and thousands of spectators assembled to watch.

"The tightrope was taken across the river in a rowing boat. More than three inches (7.5cm) thick, it sagged by some 60 feet (18m) in the middle, so it had a steep slope. The distance was a little over 1,000 feet (305m). Blondin offered to carry a volunteer over on his back but, unsurprisingly, no one stood forward. Bands on both banks played as he began his crossing at 5.15pm and took his time over what he privately considered an easy task. He stopped and lay down for a rest at one point and stood on one leg for a while. The crossing took him a little over 17 minutes. After a pause he went back across on the rope, much faster this time. He was cheered to the echo and the feat was reported all over America and in Europe.

"In several later crossings Blondin introduced variations. He carried his top-hatted manager across on his back, crossed blindfolded or on stilts or in a gorilla costume and pushing a wheelbarrow...."

Dan, I rewrote post #50 after you quoted and commented on it. It imperfectly, but better explains my experience of faith. I do not judge you, nor will I fault you, but I am willing to discuss it with you

18. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    I don't see how a skilled person able to do something involves faith at all. I would have been appreciative of his skills but would have been unlikely to risk my life. It's a cost benefit analysis. He had the skill. I dont see where faith is involver.

19. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    My point is your dad is a good man. His faith has nothing to do with what good he does. Faith is not a pathway to anything beneficial. Good people do good things. Whether they believe in God is irrelevant.

20. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    My disdain for faith is well known. People are good or not and whether they believe in a magical sky daddy is irrelevant. How does my post history dispute this.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.