Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tebow retires from baseball

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by cocodrilo, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Yep...agreed...would need a new mattress every couple weeks.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. awells05

awells05 Junior

Apr 23, 2009
    Vero Beach, Florida
    So a guy that hit .273 at Double A wasnt a baseball player?

• Like Like x 2
  3. cubangator

cubangator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 8, 2017
    First a 273 ave isn’t elite or even very good, especially against pitchers about 5 years younger than him. Listen I am a fan of Tibow as a football player, but not as a baseball player, Sadly the Mets used Tibow as a way to bring paying fans, not because of his baseball talent.

4. AlumofUF

AlumofUF Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Tebow was a better baseball player in HS than Football. He was actively recruited to go to the MLB system right out of HS. He just chose to do football (thankfully for us Gators).

5. medigatorx

medigatorx Sophomore

Feb 1, 2008
    Alright...I'll bite: So what was your average? How long did you play in the minors? What class did you get to? What year were you in the minor league All-Star Game? Just curious as I want to compare Tim to what a "real" player must be.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Making it to Triple AAA was impressive, but was likely headed there again. Bus rides, cheap hotels, months without family are not good for a married guy that can make more on a speaking tour or full time at ESPN/SEC Network.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. savannahgator5220

savannahgator5220 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Savannah Ga.
    Especially with a Miss Universe at the house.I'd probably never leave.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. tec68

tec68 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 12, 2010
    Vero Beach
    Yeah, imagine if he had been playing baseball for the previous 10 years....

You are literally devaluing the ability of Minor Leaguers around the country. If you ACTUALLY played in the minors, you know the grind that is Minor League baseball, the mindset it takes to fail 75 out of 100 times and still step up to the plate while living out of hotels and spending hours/days on buses.

A little statistic for you. According to the NCAA in 2019, only 7.3% of high school players went to college for baseball, only 9.9% of draft eligible college players were actually drafted. So 0.73 out of 10 high school players go to college, 0.99 out of 10 college players were drafted to the minors. A few more may have found their way but not many.

If you play in college, you are either working harder or more talented than +90% of the people you play with in high school. If you make it to the minors you are either working harder or more talented than +90% of the people you play with in college.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. cubangator

cubangator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 8, 2017
    I agree that is a very small percentage that makes it to the big league and that playing in the minors aren’t easy,it takes a lot of work, but that’s not what I am talking about in reference with Tibow, he has a very stiff and raw baseball skills which includes a very long swing. Tibow was signed by the Mets because his name would draw people to a minor league park and not because of his baseball skills.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. awells05

awells05 Junior

Apr 23, 2009
    Vero Beach, Florida
    All of this may have been true but no one seemed to have told Tim that. He still hit .273 in Double A and whether your scouting ability is accurate isnt being questioned here. Your determination that he isnt a baseball player is. TEbow still played at a higher level and was successful at a higher level than anyone thought would happen.

11. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    The Jags could have used some of that intervention in the past.