Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tebow reassigned to minor league camp

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Nostradamus, Mar 12, 2019.

1. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    True, the breaking stuff can be even harder to hit. It would have been better to say hitting a MLB pitch is the hardest thing in sports. Still, you get my point. He is doing a very difficult thing fairly well.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Psycho Mod and Cook Shack Chef Moderator VIP Member

Yeah, it's hard..... but, no, the hardest ball to handle is trying to catch a 140mph wavering Jai-Alai "pelota" in your "Cesta" (see avatar).

Now...THAT's Freaking hard! :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    Yes, that definitely must be difficult.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Especially when the breaking stuff is still going 85+ mph....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. cubangator

cubangator Junior

Jul 8, 2017
    A 31 yrs playing in AA hitting for a 271 batting average with 6 HR isn't a prospect dude, no matter how bad do you wanted to be.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. cubangator

cubangator Junior

Jul 8, 2017
    The only way the Mets will call Tebow this season is if they are out of it by September.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. cubangator

cubangator Junior

Jul 8, 2017
    Playing in AA against players 10 years younger and hitting for a 271 batting average with 6 HR isn't a prospect.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    You just don't get that he didn't play the game from the age of 17 to 30. He is getting back into it, and getting better and better the more he plays. This will just be his 3rd year back in the game after an incredibly long hiatus.

If he went straight from high school into the minors, and still had not advanced, yes, he would likely never make it. But he isn't like pretty much every other kid in the minors so you can't base his future off the normal career trajectory.

At the beginning, every hater said, "Oh, he is just a stunt." Or worse, "He is taking the spot of some kid that deserves it." Well as others posted he was one of the top hitters on his AA team, so he deserved his spot.

Will he make it to the bigs? Who knows... but I do know I would not bet against him.

That is what I said when he was in single A, now he is in triple A. His chances are getting better not worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I mean the Mets arent wasting roster spots on filling seats in minor league parks. But sure if you say so

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    ...and, they will be.

11. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    "A 31 yrs" ... "no matter how bad do you wanted to be." Translation, please? By the way, Tebow only played in 84 games last year because he broke his hand after the all-star break, so those HR numbers are for a partial year. Yes, he is a prospect, or he would not have been promoted to AAA.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 9:14 AM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. WhattaGator

So, Perhaps you expect a .350 average to qualify??

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I saw him play the Tigers in Lakeland this spring & he had a rough day, 0-2 with two K’s a a HBP.

He also just missed making a nice running catch of a liner in LF. He is still a little raw, but I never count him out!

14. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    On an unrelated Tebow note, anybody watch Home Free with Tebow? I’m watching it on Hulu and yikes

15. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    I saw him on that once (that is the reality TV show where they are competing for a free home?), and have to admit even for me his over the top supportiveness was too much for me.

I mean in real life, if I was struggling, having someone like Tebow provide that kind of love and support to me would be amazing and very helpful. But for a reality TV show I really couldn't take more than one show of it.

It doesn't help that I despise reality TV with a passion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    From what I read a while back (and what little I had seen of him), he was still struggling reading the pitches and was swinging at stuff a more seasoned batter would lay off of, and as a result he was striking out too much and wasn't getting walks enough. But at the end of his run last year he seemed to be getting better at it and his average was heading up.

Which gets to my point that you can't compare him to a 30 yo who had been in the league for the last 12 years. Prior to this run the only pitching he had seen was from high school pitchers, and even that was 12 years ago.

The more at bats he gets against good/great pitchers, the better he will get at reading pitches. His stint in the Majors for spring training will have given him an opportunity to be exposed to great pitching. We will see if he can come back down a level and use that experience to get better.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 7:19 AM
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. awells05

awells05 Junior

Apr 23, 2009
    Ft. Pierce, Florida
    If you would like to re-frame your original statement to he is not a prospect is at least something that is debatable.

However, that is not your original statement. Your original statement was that he was not a baseball player. At this point that is not an arguable statement. He is holding his own and doing just fine. He is absolutely a baseball player. If this was a Michael Jordan type gimmick it would be over by now. However, he has continued to get better and improve as he moves through the system. Will Tim Tebow ever be a major league baseball player? I dont know the answer to that.

Furthermore, I never played Major League Baseball, and I am and always will be a baseball player. HUGE difference between that and a prospect. As I mentioned previously if the debate you wish to make is whether Tim Tebow is a legitimate prospect at the age of 31, that is a debatable statement. Your first is outright silly at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    He continues to improve. I would think if he got to the majors his production would jump from that alone. If you remember he was kind of an 'okay' practice player. When he got in a stadium under the lights it all kicked in. His determination and work ethic will either get him there or not. Betting against him IMHO is a losing proposition. (run on sentence part) And that wife? OMG!

Go Tebow
    Go Gators.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. WhattaGator

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    There's no question Tebow is still improving. Not only in batting but he only had 1 error in 55 starts last season at AA, so his fielding is improving as well. I agree with those who say he may still play for the Mets at some point this season, at least for a little while. And it may not take till September if one of the outfielders ends up on the DL for a stint. And who knows what happens then.

My biggest question is how invested is the Mets organization in continuing to develop a 31+ year old prospect. My guess is that if he doesn't make it this year, or at least continue to show dramatic improvement, they might not hang on to him past this year. But even then, I wouldn't be surprised to see a team with more regional interest like the Marlins or Rays pick him up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1