Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tebow reassigned to minor league camp

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Nostradamus, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus All American

Sep 18, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Psycho Mod and Cook Shack Chef Moderator VIP Member

Not a game changer. .
    The Mets had to trim their roster .

Tebow 's in AAA for them, and could be called up at any time.

Remember , before he broke the bone in his hand , he was playing in only AA ball.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Nostradamus

Nostradamus All American

Sep 18, 2015
    Good points.

I’m hoping that he’ll get called up, even if only for a short period. That would be one of the most remarkable comebacks I can remember. Not having played since HS and getting to the bigs after that much time off would be surreal.

Testament to his willpower and determination.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  4. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Legend

Oct 8, 2018
    Anyone know how he progressed in camp?

5. cubangator

cubangator Junior

Jul 8, 2017
    Tibow its a great Gator, a great college QB (not profesional) but guys lets be realistic he isn't a baseball player, The mets have used his name to bring people in to the minor league parks.

• Disagree Disagree x 13
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  6. awells05

awells05 Junior

Apr 23, 2009
    Ft. Pierce, Florida
    Perhaps at first this was the case, but the guy has progressed. You dont put up the numbers he has if you "arent a baseball player." I could not disagree with this more.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I agree that's why they signed him, but I think he's been a little better than they expected. But to your point, Tebow is now 31 (31 to 32 is where players typically begin to drop in production) and honestly, if Tebow was even close to being ready to play major league baseball, I think he'd probably stay in New York.

Typically, AA is the level where they focus on player development. AAA is more about fine tuning players who are very close to ready and they want easily accessible to move up, injured players rehab, or it's guys who have probably peaked and are likely to be career minor leaguers. The fact that he's headed to AAA tells me that he's probably not as close as some people would like to think because even as a serviceable utility player, he'd probably stay on the Mets roster, just for the ticket sales and media exposure.

I hope only the best for him and in sincerely hope he gets his chance to play in NYC. He may still get called up for a stint this year but my guess is he's not in the Mets long-term plans and this season may be his last chance to make it for the Mets.

8. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    If it makes him happy

It can’t be that bad

He’s not doing it for us or fame

It’s to be the long shot that’s makes it and the fun of being a team mate

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Gatorborn

Gatorborn Sophomore

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    I think the Mets are concerned with the injuries they have had in the OF. If he ends up playing every day in AAA it means they want him to get as many at bats as possible against that level of competition and be ready if needed.

Alonso, on the other hand, is killing the ball and may start in the bigs opening day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Who cares what some people here think about Tim and his choice in professional life.

It's Tim's life, and I for one think he still has a chance to make the big leagues.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 All American

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    Tebow has said he didn't want to be in his 50's and think back and have regrets that he didn't go after his passion, which is baseball. Making it this far is a testament to who he is. He will stick with it as long as they will allow him to. I believe in his work ethic and hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard. Go Tebow! Go Gators!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. biggynugs

biggynugs All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    Despite all the people disagreeing, its true. I saw him in Jupiter when they played the hammerheads, and he packed the house, but the evening really was Tebow . . . . and some other guys swinging a stick at a ball.

ANd I read an article where the Mets front office admitted that their plan was to get him up to the majors to sell tickets. In AA Teboew was 30 years old, and everyone else was 18.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I always thought he had more promise in baseball. There's just something about his personality, the combination of strength and athleticism, calmness and passion that makes him ideal for that sport. He loves the game and triple A is not a bad place to be in the Mets organization. He's relatively young by baseball standards and is still improving. There are dimensions to his game that could benefit a major league team late in the season.

Let's not forget that Tim's primary vocation is no longer sports. He's a professional celebrity; sports analyst, filmmaker, actor and lay preacher. Continuing to be an active professional athlete just makes the Tim Tebow brand more valuable and durable. The Christianity things has always been a distraction to me but I admire his commitment.

14. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Assuming he's in Syracuse, they play in Atlanta area against Gwinnett Stripers in mid June! Hope I get a chance to see him play.

• Like Like x 2
  15. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Unless he goes into a hitting funk, I expect him to be called up this season for some period. And then he can take that off his bucket list.

• Like Like x 3
  16. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Those that are saying he isn't a baseball player were not watching his growth over the last two (3?) years.

By the end of last year he was in the top 10% or so of his league in batting, and had just put in his best month with an average around 350ish. It was starting to look like he had put it together and then he broke his hand. Ugh...

Looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

You clearly have not been paying attention.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. tilly

Looking at the Syracuse roster he is not very old. 4 guys are the same age. One guy is 38 (Albeit he has several years at the MLB level)
    They have 12 guys at 28 or over.

19. tilly

Tebow was a top 6 or 7 guy in almost every category on his AA team and had half the at bats as many of them due to injury.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    If that's the case, I'll be there every time the Mets come to Wrigley and will cheer for him when he's at bat. Quietly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1