Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Team Composite Rankings Out

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by reaves2alvarez, Aug 28, 2021.

1. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    Florida comes in technically at #7 but is essentially tied for 5th(such a small variance) out of 900 points. We should be able to compete for championships with this talent level.

Whether you think CDM recruits well or not(I go back and forth), the old days of “signing day” rankings are over. There is so much more to the witches brew now. Bottom line, 7th in the composite means we should compete for championships and we did last year. If we maintain this ranking, we should every year. Go get ‘em Dan.

2021 College Football Team Talent Composite

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 16
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Yes, we have the talent and coaching to be in the running for championships. Lots of fans want to knock the coaching staff, but this is basically the same core staff that made Mississippi State competitive without this kind of talent. Good things are on the way, guys!

2021 College Football Team Talent Composite

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Top 6 teams have made playoffs.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    A couple of key victories against our most hated rivals and a top 10 end of season ranking should be viewed as a good season. We lost some serious capability on offense. Beat georgia and lsu then win a competitive bowl game. That would be an improvement.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Great, very much looking forward to being at least the 5th-7th ranked team on the field this season, no excuses now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    Thanks for the post.

Interesting that we have more 4 stars on the roster than any team save the Gumps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    Overall that's very encouraging and I track similar data.

BUT, the OL and QB play is especially critical in this league. It's almost like those positions should be weighted more when it comes to the rankings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. blackbird68

blackbird68 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    But, but stars don’t matter! Seriously, it seems clear that the most talented teams are the ones who win National Championships, except Georgia.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    Moving on from Florida, I’m surprised how high UT, Ole Miss and Arky are. Just shows you how brutal the SEC is especially the West right now. Imagine those schools with those talent levels in any other league.

Conversely, FSU has top 20 talent and three straight losing seasons in the ACC no less. Imagine their record in the SEC those three years. Really bad coaching. Hope it continues.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

10. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    They also have to have good staffs no doubt. Top 10 talent, depth and good coaching go a long way. I believe Clemson and Ohio State however have had a particularly easy path into the playoffs just because their conferences are not balanced. They are good and well coached but not a lot of land mines in their regular seasons.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Means as much as the pre-season rankings!
    Remember Georgia was going to win the East last year because of their talent and depth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  12. blackbird68

blackbird68 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree, I just hope that we are all correct that Kirby is a questionable coach. Should he ever get those legs under him, it would not bode well for the Gators. As for OSU and Clemson they certainly have an easier path to playoff, ,however, the years they have been there and clearly the years they have won they were among the best teams in the nation.

13. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Kirby is believed to BF in a close game. On balance what matters most often are his OC/DC and assistants I wish someone in the know could give a run down of Georgia’s staff. My guess is kirby learned from Saban how to manage and build a staff. I think after last years woodshed experience he’s going to be tight when we play.

14. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You probably will find this interesting:

Alabama Crimson Tide 2021 Fall Football Preview: Offensive Line Rebuild

Crimson Tide loses three starters, but has amassed a wealth of talent behind them.

By CB969@CB969onRBR Aug 10, 2021, 11:35am CDT

Alabama is replacing their starting center, LG, and LT, Dickerson/Brown/Leatherwood.

The below article isn't particularly flattering to projected center starter Owens, sort of pulling for Dalcourt when Owens fails. Owens started 7 games in 2 seasons, but was beaten out by Dickerson:

Alabama Crimson Tide Football Preview: Offensive Line 2021 Depth Chart

Evan Neal and Emil Ekiyor are returning on the right side at RT and RG.

Bama also returns a blocking only TE with size, but he is fighting for a spot to play just like the other OTs.

The good news is Alabama has talent on paper. The bad news is, there isn't near the combined talent/experience Alabama possessed on the left side of the line and at center in 2020.

Alabama is vulnerable and particularly so early in the season. With the inexperienced QB along with the center plus LG and LT to replace, I'm surprised more people aren't questioning the Alabama O-line.

I'm wondering if Alabama's $1 million dollar dandy QB is a right hander? If so, his blindside will be protected by a new left side. If he's a lefty, he'll be fine.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    OL are also the hardest to predict based on high school results ...

Fact: DeLance is our second highest rated OL going by the recruitment rankings.

Sounds like we need more DeLance. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    List is going to expand to the top 7 in 2021.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Oklahoma has an easier road too. They have won 7 Big 12 championships in a row and are favored to make it 8 in a row. That ain't happening when they join the SEC.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    So true and why you don’t recruit two or three a cycle. I’m all for a couple projects mixed in with an equal or higher number of the high three and four star guys.

19. blackbird68

blackbird68 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree and think Kirby suffers from a mild case of that often fatal disease of college head coaches “Muschamp Syndrome”(i.e. A condition often characterized by micro management of assistant coaches to the point of paralysis. Symptoms also include but are not limited to extreme conservatism and idiotic decisions at crucial times.)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s true, they are vulnerable. If we had the same team as last year with improved play on defense we could be really confident, even a legit favorite.

I love our HFA and hope like hell Saban is all kinds of p’d off on the sidelines and that some things happen that rattle them so they lose confidence. I hope they make mistakes, turn the ball over, play from behind and get frustrated. Go Gators.

• Like Like x 1