Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

TE Tebow?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by bposs, Apr 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    There's a reason neither of those two are coaching in the nfl anymore.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    I followed his camp in Philly very closely. He definitely should have made that team.
    He balled out in their last preseason game. Was engineering one of his patented comebacks. Only needed one more drive opportunity. But Philly proceeded to give up a long Chinese water type drive that ate up the last half of the 4th quarter. I almost think Kelly didn't want to get the ball back because he knew Tebow would pull out the game and make his already predetermined decision to cut Tebow harder publicly.
    For those that didn't follow his time in Philly, he was a far better QB than he was in Denver. All the work he had put in on his throwing motion had taken hold. Much tighter motion. Much better passer. Shame we never got to watch him play again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    There's no downside.
    He's in great shape, no wear on the tires and has professional-baseball-level hand-eye coordination.
    Bring him in, let him compete. I'm betting he'll show those young whippersnappers a thing or two.
    And IF he makes it? The mind fairly wobbles. Oh, the things you'll see!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I like the move. I don't know if he'll be overly effective as a TE, but he's a great leader and role model for the other players. And I think as a TE, he won't be as much of a media distraction as he was at QB. But he'll still bring media attention to the Jaguars.

But above and beyond what he'll be as a TE, I think he can probably be a contributor on special teams and may give Meyer a wrinkle at QB on short yardage situations.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 18, 2015
    If Urban is trying to overhaul the culture into a championship mindset, having Tebow on the roster is the perfect move - regardless of how he performs on the field. He’ll be a positive, vocal leader who leads by example and holds teammates accountable to high standards.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    I hope Tim makes the team as whatever. I love the kid. Everyone should love this guy. Nonetheless, one of the things Meyer needs to be wary of is thinking too much like a college coach coaching his old college team. He drafted Farrell. Luke Farrell is not going to help that team as the TE the Jags have been waiting on. Tebow is a sentimental pick for Meyer. But, I don't know how well a 34 yr old man who hasn't played football in several years will all of a sudden become meaningful at a position he has never played in his life. The NFL isn't exactly the ideal place to experiment for the first time. Spurrier tried to load up on guys who were on his Florida teams, partly because he believed in them and partly because he thought he could make straw out of gold. It didn't turn out well for him. I do think Tim will be in great shape though. Tim is obsessed with weight rooms. Tim is in better shape at 34 than most guys are at 26. But his age affected him in baseball too. He was too old to experiment around and get better to the point where he would make the Bigs one day at a meaningful age. The same here.
    Nonetheless, I don't buy the media's bullshit about his being a "distraction". If he is , he's the kind of distraction everyone should embrace. The only reason he is a so-called "distraction" is because the media calls him one, and by constantly calling him one, they make him one. Tim doesn't call press conferences. The media has labeled him, branded him, defamed him at times and then dismissed him. All the guy did was try out. If he can catch, run and block , he is better than any TE on that team right now. I think he should be on the practice squad. But I'm afraid he would only be a band-aid until they got a real TE next year. He could at least play special teams.
    Finally, I don't think the Jags need him to fill the seats. They have Meyer and Lawrence, and now Etienne. Trying out does not make him a starter, nor should it if we are being honest. Still , it wouldn't hurt.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ozgatorfan

ozgatorfan Senior

Apr 12, 2007
    No one went all in on the Tim Tebow Rpo. It would have been great to see them get the proper support at Denver or wherever. Kid is a winner.
    We will never know what the result would have been. Good or bad, I’m thinking good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    You can't compare baseball to football. In baseball you have to be an asset on offense and not be liability on defense. Hitting against elite pitching is probably the most difficult maneuver in all of sports. Tebow had too much catch up on, he almost got there but really half his life he was more focussed on Football from age 16 to almost 30. Playing at a skill position in Football (whether it's TE, FB, RB or Wildcat) is vastly different and more forgiving. You can be off by a few millimeters in your motion and it can still be a positive play. And it's utilizing most of the skillset and drive that won him a Heisman and narrowly missing a second!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. unclerob

unclerob Junior

Aug 14, 2015
    Don't forget that Michael Jordan couldn't make it to the big leagues either. Baseball is a game that requires special skills more than pure athletic talent.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The media is downright evil

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    I agree 100% with what you said, and in fact you make my point. I'm not comparing the sports. It is exactly the truth in what you're saying that made Tim try baseball at a younger age. He needed the time to develop his baseball skills. Like you and others have said, hitting a major league pitch, whether it be curveball, fastball, change, slider , knuckle ball or whatever, may be the hardest thing in sports. Catching a fly ball or a grounder with top spin isn't exactly a walk in the park either. But Tim is trying a new position he has never played in his life at the age of 34. And unlike baseball, he will have someone trying to kill him every time his hands touch the ball. That doesn't happen on a fly ball to the outfield. Let's assume it takes him two years to be a stud at TE. He will be four years of away from retirement when he does. He can do it. I believe it. That kid can do anything. But I'm a Gator, and Urban Meyer has bosses. Shad Khan doesn't know a softball from a ping pong ball. Tim will have to prove more and faster. I hope he can. If anyone could, it is him.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    • Like Like x 2
  14. kalaniocc

kalaniocc GC Hall of Fame

tebowwww

• Like Like x 3
  15. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 All American

Oct 9, 2011
    I'm not saying he could have made it, but we will never really know because he was never really trying.

The only thing he was trying to do with baseball was avoid being banned from basketball.

17. Eggy21

Eggy21 GC Legend

Dec 8, 2010
    Westerly, RI
    The football world seething at Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow? Did I enter a time warp and end up back in 2008?

Hilarious at how mad people are getting over this, they're acting like he's going to be their starting QB ffs. If he makes the team he's going to be a gimmick player a la Taysom Hill and the team will sell a shit ton of jerseys off it. There's like, minimal downside to this lol.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I can hear the "Bench Lawrence, put in Tebow" chants already lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. sas1988

sas1988 Senior

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    If I'm not mistaken Urban has said he'd use TT on short yardage and rpo type situations. I think He'll be listed as a te but will be a hybrid type weapon. I would absolutely love it if he makes the team, plays the broncos, and scores running, passing , throwing, and even kicking. Would be like winning the sports lottery for me.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.