Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tate Martell in the transfer portal

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Jan 10, 2019.

1. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Love it

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ShortBusGator

ShortBusGator Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    There has to be more going on than is obvious. You don’t go from being cocky as hell to advertising a transfer that quickly without something changing.

Having just watched the first seawson of QB1., I would take him in a heartbeat. He’s cocky as hell and makes plays. His bigger knock is his height but let the pros worry about that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    There has to be more going on behind the scenes with this, it just doesn’t make any sense for him to bolt now. Apparently Ryan Day is enamored with Fields though and is tight with the private QB coach he uses in Atlanta. He is the one who brokered the move and it has been in the works for some time. Maybe Day doesn’t think Martell is all that and has let him know, either directly or indirectly. The kicker is Martell will have sit out a year if he transfers and Fields ridiculously probably won’t.

4. BenTrillGriffin

BenTrillGriffin GC Legend

Oct 7, 2012
    Orlando
    Kid talked so much shxt trying to "scare" Fields from going there. He's not better than Fields any day of the week, he knows it lol

Beyond that, Day is getting his guys in there. Staff and otherwise.

5. GratefulGator

GratefulGator All American

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    The real star of the Martell family is Tate's sister, Rylee.

[​IMG]

Barstool Sports

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    So Fields is not ass, my dude?

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Tate Martell has every reason to be mad. He EARNED the job and now politics may take it away from him.

fields reminds me of the kid we had several years ago who transferred because his momma thought he got a raw deal. I can't even think of his name now... that is telling...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JaxGator75

JaxGator75 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Josh Portis?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Portis

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Lifeguard21

Lifeguard21 Senior

Jun 7, 2007
    Memphis,TN
    I disagree. Nothing Fields has done at the college or high school level leads me to conclude he’s better than Martell.

What makes you so sure Fields is better? Is it recruiting rating? Height? That sounds like the same mistake Oklahoma originally made with Cody Thomas & Trevor Knight over Baker Mayfield.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bernie_lomax

bernie_lomax Junior

Jan 26, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Can we just call it the transfer database instead of a portal?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gatorlover974

gatorlover974 GC Legend

Mar 8, 2009
    He earned the job until they had the #1 recruit in last years class come in. Is Ohio St supposed to turn down Fields because Martell “earned it”.

No, you always bring in the best players you can, if you want to play beat him out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lifeguard21

Lifeguard21 Senior

Jun 7, 2007
    Memphis,TN
    That’s not how this works. It’s easy for you to say “if you want to play beat him out.”, because you have no skin in the game. Martell gets 4 years of eligibility to play football for the rest of his life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Probably other interests as well. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Legend

Nov 19, 2016
    How exactly did Tate Martell "earn" the job? Who did he beat out for it?

Justin Fields actually went head-to-head with Jake Fromm for the starting QB spot, and then chose to leave due to racism/getting beaten out/being used as a tackling dummy on the fake punt unit. Martell apparently doesn't even have enough confidence in himself to battle Fields before they step on the field together.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Bama QB went 26-2 and was replaced by Freshman in National Title game. Clemson QB replaced by true freshman as well and go on to win the National Title. No job is guaranteed, especially not the QB role

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. gatorlover974

gatorlover974 GC Legend

Mar 8, 2009
    So Ohio St. isn’t supposed to recruit anyone else who can improve the team because they have Martell?

I’ve played sports at a high level, I won a National Championship as an important role bench player in my second to last year of eligibility. During my 5th year I was the shoe in to be a starter but I got recruited over by a blue chip recruit and went back to the bench the next year.

I didn’t complain because I knew it helped the team, and I wasn’t owed anything. To say someone deserves to start because they waited is 100% BS and to not try to the better the team in anyway possible let’s the entire team down. Ohio St. owes nothing to Martell.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. T3goalie

T3goalie Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Oklahoma would fit his skill set. So would Auburn and UF. Be funny if he transferred to UGA. He has to sit a year unless he has some hardship......